Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 11th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Baghdad kills 58,000 stray dogs in 3-month span

saw this on msn news...and where will they be in one year....back to this

By BUSHRA JUHI, The Associated Press, Updated: July 10, 2010 11:13 AM

Baghdad kills 58,000 stray dogs in 3-month span

BAGHDAD - Teams of veterinarians and police shooters have killed some 58,000 stray dogs in and around the Iraqi capital over the past three months as part of a campaign to curb an increasing number of strays blamed for attacks on residents.

The Baghdad provincial government said in a statement released Sunday that 20 teams have been moving around Baghdad and the outer-lying districts daily looking for and putting down the dogs. The operation, which was first announced in late 2008, only truly took off this April after funds were allocated for the project.

The surge in strays — estimated by provincial officials to number around 1.25 million — is ironically linked to what officials say is an improvement in some elements of daily life in Baghdad, a city that for seven years has been struggling to return to normalcy after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion to topple Saddam Hussein.

Officials with the provincial veterinary directorate said that with open-air markets and bustling city life returning, the dogs are able to find more food and are having bigger litters.

Figures for the number of attacks by packs of stray dogs were not available Saturday, the last day of the weekend in Iraq.

But officials said resident complaints have increased steadily in tandem with the rise in the stray population. In the capital, dogs have attacked children, in some cases killing them.

Efforts since the campaign was first announced in 2008 met with limited success because of a lack of funding and follow-through. There are not believed to be any dog shelters in Baghdad.

The teams begin their work daily at 6 a.m., and coordinate with relevant security forces in the area — ostensibly to ensure that their presence does not draw retaliatory fire by security forces who may mistake them for insurgents.

Provincial officials said before the teams move into an area, residents are also notified, and warned to not pick up meat they find on the ground because it could be the poisoned food used to lure and kill the dogs.

Under Saddam Hussein's regime, stray dogs were routinely shot. But their numbers grew steadily following the 2003 U.S.-led invasion when a host of more serious security issues sidelined efforts to deal with the dogs.
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:25 AM

its sad that so many dogs had to be put down.

i never realised iraq had a problem with stray dogs.

i alos didnt know there was 58,000+ dogs in iraq. thats insane.

though they can be very dangerous in large quantities.

i hope they didnt make them suffer while putting them down.

58,000 dogs...? thats an insane number.
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang
Old July 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

1.25 million strays - So they have a long way to go on their killing spree.
Poisoning? Yep, that's humane.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

These dogs had to die,because of humans,I am sure they were at one time or the other,someones pet,who got dumped,only to produce pups and more pups,because the people were to ignorant to at least spay/neuter
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:33 AM

that would make sense chico.

but, the country has been turned to (sorry) sh!t since america invaded.

its just.... a mess.

so i dont think the people who are struggling to survive have the means to spay/neauter a dog. many of them are desert dogs though. wild dogs. who might have started off as pets over 100 years ago or something (im guessing.)

its just a huge missfortune.
they cant even take care of themselfs.
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang
Old July 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Kitty pimp

i hear ya sew sew its a shame though
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Sure SSS,blame it on the Americans
Old July 12th, 2010, 04:33 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Sure SSS,blame it on the Americans
CHICO!!!! You bad!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Floppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
These dogs had to die,because of humans,I am sure they were at one time or the other,someones pet,who got dumped,only to produce pups and more pups,because the people were to ignorant to at least spay/neuter
Probably not, actually. Most Arabs and Persians are Moslem and as such regard dogs as unclean animals so they are not often kept as pets. It is more likely that these are well established packs of ferrel dogs in and around urban areas because the garbage pickings are better than in the countryside. They are likely the descendants of working dogs whoes masters were killed or fled. Also, the idea of sterilizing dogs is as foreign to this particular culture as the idea of birth control is for humans.

Part of my family originates in Palestine and I have been told by my parents & grandparents that unless you had a reason to own a dog (herding, guarding or pest control) they were not kept as pets. Instead, they were regarded as nuisances (if not outright dangerous), much as we view pigeons, sea gulls and geese. I remember an incident from my childhood when a newly arrived relative saw our Sussex Spaniel (25lbs soaking wet and no more that 12" at the shoulder) for the first time, she started shrieking at the top of her lungs and jumped up onto a chair. The only way we could calm her down was to take our dog to another room and shut her in. Despite over 30 years of living in North America, she is still afraid of dogs and won't have anything to do with them.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Catlover2

FD, that's funny! Same thing happened to me when an Iranian girl visited my home and she saw all my cats. She jumped on the sofa and was terrified too, and had to remove them to another room. Another time she screamed when one of them jumped in her lap. She was the same with dogs too. She'd never had a pet of any kind.
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Dog View Post
Despite over 30 years of living in North America, she is still afraid of dogs and won't have anything to do with them.
lol i remember walking to the park with my sister once around 4 years ago. and she seen this dog (without a leash) at the end of the houses driveway. it was way down the road, and the dog was small.

despite this, she reacted as if the dog was running towards us. i tried to reason with her, but she basically got mad at me lol!

shes terrified of dogs lol.

and chico, well you know how it goes: when in doubt, blame the americans!

for the record, im joking