Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

SO Frustrated!! Cat Owners Need to be More Responsible.

The DH and I are at our wits end.

Currently, we have two neighbors (one that is behind us and one beside us) that allow their cats to roam.

The neighbors behind us only juuuust started doing this with their cat because they're renovating their house. So what do they do? They put his LITTER BOX and his CAT SCRATCHER on their back deck and leave him out there. I have no clue if he's been allowed back in since the reno's started, but he can certainly tell we have cats (I'm assuming because he always comes to our back door) and meows and meows and meows to be let in. This gets our cats AND dogs very riled up, and lets just say: I have a baby. This cannot continue. Last night I went over to their house, politley knocked on the door, and explained the situation.

This morning? I woke up to my dogs going ballistic because this cat was there again.

The other neighbors beside us, have been an issue since we moved in. Twice this past spring/summer - we found dead baby birds on our deck from our bird house. I cannot even tell you how many times they have pooped in our garden, even in our standing flower pots beside our BBQ. TWICE I have almost hit their black tom cat because he sleeps under my car.

Not to mention that they have been using our side of the fence as a cat scratcher, and we'll need to replace two boards specifically next spring.

We have talked to these neighbors beside us numerous times, especially when we found the dead birds the first time.

Nothing has been done. They continue to walk our fence line, hiss at our dogs when they're outside, etc. It's really driving us nuts, so I have just printed off the City of Calgary bylaws and am planning on delivering them "annonymously" tonight. I even went so far as to highlight all the areas I felt applied, including the $1500.00 fine if this was not followed.

I just want to know if there is anything else I can do. I called the city, and they said they send out cat traps for US to catch them, because they don't do it themselves.
I reeeeally don't want to do this, as we recognize this is not any of the cats fault, but DH and I are both at our wits end.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

But it is the cat who will be the loser :sad: Plus, they can just get another and it will start all over again.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
But it is the cat who will be the loser :sad: Plus, they can just get another and it will start all over again.
I agree L4H. :sad: It's not fair for the cats, BUT something needs to be done, not only because these cats are a nusisance to a few of us (I'm referring to the neighbor cats beside us, the neighbors behind us are irresponsible but I know they will bring their cat inside after they are done everything...it just adds to the frustration of the other cats) - but because it is totally UNSAFE for these cats to be wandering the way they are. One of them doesn't even have a left eye anymore! Our neighborhood is very close to the main highway, not to mention in a very busy area with main streets close by.

I don't know what to do but to turn to the city at this point, and I'm HOPING if they see on paper how much they could be fined that it will motivate them to keep their cats on their property. I just don't know if this is enough.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

One thing is for sure, you can't control other people. Is there a rescue that may take these cats in, rather than the city pound?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a feeling the only thing the city would do at this point is take the cats away, which may mean a death sentence because of their idiot owners.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I have a feeling the only thing the city would do at this point is take the cats away, which may mean a death sentence because of their idiot owners.
I have to agree with ancientgirl. There are many in our neighbourhood as well. I approached the girl nicely and told her that I am glad I found the owners since I was going to trap them. She gasped and then brought them indoors. We remain cordial with one another.

Since such time I have seen one outside. He was left behind and she kindly took over his care....but is still allowed to roam. If I contact our animal control here - they will pick them up and they will be killed. I opt not to do anything about this situation. Other neighbours are complaining however I twisted it to say that at least he is catching the mice that could have found their way into their homes.. Now everyone is hush.

Not that this will help you at all but just to let you know that it really is not the cats fault.
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I have to agree with ancientgirl. There are many in our neighbourhood as well. I approached the girl nicely and told her that I am glad I found the owners since I was going to trap them. She gasped and then brought them indoors. We remain cordial with one another.

Since such time I have seen one outside. He was left behind and she kindly took over his care....but is still allowed to roam. If I contact our animal control here - they will pick them up and they will be killed. I opt not to do anything about this situation. Other neighbours are complaining however I twisted it to say that at least he is catching the mice that could have found their way into their homes.. Now everyone is hush.

Not that this will help you at all but just to let you know that it really is not the cats fault.
I think the issue is that they are starting to destroy my yard, and THAT makes me mad. We've been dealing with these same two cats for two years now, trying to just 'live with it' (and my constant reminders to DH that it's not the cats fault, it's not the cats fault) but DH just saw the fence posts on the weekend and it really unnerved me.
I guess I want to see these people actually CARE a little bit, instead of just smiling and nodding whenever we talk to them. Care that your cats are howling outside our windows at 2 in the morning, and care that there is potting soil all over our back deck because the cats use it for their washroom, and care that my stuff in my yard is now being used as scratching posts!!!

I know that sounds harsh, but I am seriously...seriously...at my wits end. Which is why I'm posting this because I don't want anything bad to happen to the cats, but I need to have suggestions as to how I can prevent this from being a problem for my family.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'm a softy

I would continue to try and get through to the owners about keeping them inside or at least confined to their property.. I am probably not the best person to ask, as I dealt with the same thing, but felt so bad for the cat.. My kids adopted it and played with it when it came over, we fed it and gave it an 'at our place' name... I could have sent it to the pound, where they would either pick it up and continue, the cat suffering for it, be pts, or I could have tagged it to bring into rescue, but I know the chances of it finding a home in any reasonable amount of time, spewing at the rim with cats. That is the story unfortunetly...Cats don't always stand much of a chance, and I hate that they get trapped and put in a cage waiting for death or a miracle, when we should be trapping the owners and taking them to court or at least stand them in line for some sense knocking in.. The best thing is to keep trying to see if you can get the owners to keep them inside, and hopefully they come around. stray cats, sadly, very sadly, are a fact of life... and always seem to be around. I don't let my cats out, and my dogs don't mind cats, so it really doesn't bother me, but I hate that people let them out, and wish there was a way to get through to the owner without affecting the cat, then I would participate..
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

we had a neighbours cat that use to sneak into the garage to use hubs floor cleaner (kitty litter) as his own litter box, neighbour refused to keep it inside, it slept in the house but used the cat door to come and go,....well....as it happened one day, hubs did the driveway with black sealer and kitty walked across it, when he shoo'd it away it went running back through its cats door........black tar feet and all, did I mention they had beige carpeting? I guess it made one heck of a mess and she tried to come after us for the money to clean the carpets and have the cat cleaned (she had to take it to the groomers to get the tar/sealer off) the cat was no longer allowed to run free
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Very possible. I also don't think their tom cat would be very adoptable either.:sad:

But on the same note, I'm terrified of putting my cats on their harness in my own backyard because of these cats and that is not fair for them either.

It really po's me that we take the time to ensure no one is bothered by any of my pets, and others aren't doing the same. My animals lose out because of it.

L4H, we do have a great rescue in Calgary that I would love for these cats to go too - but they don't take owner surrendered animals, just strays.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:15 PM

Missing Black Cat

Hello, I do understand your frustration, I am one of those people who let their cat roam... He is truly an outdoor kitty, and unfortunately we live in the city now and are left with the decision to let him out or not. He would not have it any other way... This is why we are moving back to Nova Scotia, where he can roam the woods and not bother anyone else (though I do not see him doing what you have described) and if anyone ever consulted us about our cats bothering them, it would have taken care of right away!

So, now my cats is missing, i think he may have sensed the upcomming move and maybe on a journey around the area. He has been missing since march 15th and we live in the Edgemont area. He is Black and long haired (fixed of course) is tattooed and we dearly want him back... If he happends to be on eof the cats in your area and or you may have seen him, please feel free to give me a call...

(Longshot I will admit, but my heart is ripped in half right now and am willing to try anything)

Edited by Admin - Phone numbers only allowed in lost and found - I see you posted there, good luck.

Last edited by marko; March 18th, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
it was very intimidating for me and my husband laughed because I deal with all types of aggressive dogs all day without dropping a sweat. haha
To be fair, I've had cats my whole life, rescued them and am very comfortable around them, even MOST ferals, but I have encountered a few cats that scare the crap out of me.

When I lived with my parents the people above me had this huge unfixed nearly feral male, probably 15-20 lbs and not fat at all (let him knock up several females too, what idiots ). He got out in the hallway (or maybe they let him out I dunno) and I tried to go up the stairs without realizing he was out. WOW. He stood in the stairwell and puffed up and hissed and actually came toward me growling and ready to attack. I backed off and he actually followed me growling. When I went back in my apt he was still out there growling like a maniac.
I've had encounters with aggressive dogs that scared me much less than him. I've been scratched by FRIENDLY cats when they're freaked out and no way I wanna be scratched by a huge semi-feral cat that actually WANTS To hurt me.