Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 30th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Senior Contributor

serious reverse sneezing-dog is scared

it is night time and cant get to vet (no emergency service her either), will first thing in morning-ok, charlie is 8yo, helathy but little over weight and is in full health at moment. she has always had the reverse sneeze thing but it doesnt happen often, only occassionally.
this evening she was reverse sneezing but it was alot, it went for a few secounds and stoped, i calmed her down. it has happened 3 times tonight and she has really scared herself and is being really clingy. i have checked up her nose and throat and nothing there and she is physically normal and i have checked her reactions etc and all is normal.
any suggestions as to why it is happening so often?? and is it dangerous?? can it be caused by anything else, any common triggers?? any suggestion how to stop it?? anything will help.
poor baby is really freaked out, she is sitting on my feet and wont leave my side which is very uncommon, i think she has really scaered herself. i have put out her bed in a quiet place and am trying to keep her calm..any ideas??
thanks from a very very worried doggy mum.
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I answered you in the other forum.

My dog has these (reverse sneezes) too! It seems to happen after hard exercise, or excitement of some sort.

Last night she had such a bad attack, it scared HER! Here's what I do, and it always works:

Calm her down with slow strokes and soft talk. I FIRMLY stroke her throat to help stop the spasms and I put my fingers over her nostrils for about 3 seconds. When I release, she should lick her lips and swallow (or you can give something soft like a piece of bread)

These things stop the sneezes.
Old June 30th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

thank you thank you thank you, oh lucky you are a god send truly. thank you for the advice, it has stopped this morning. i will go to the vet just to get good nasal exam and what not, to make sure there is no foreign objects in there or something. will let you know. oh thank you again, i feel alot calmer with a bit of information. charlie says thanks and a tail wag to you