Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old September 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Tabitha and her whining???

I just wanted to get some feedback or opinions on the situation with Tabitha since we lost Bomber. She was diagnozed with pancreatitus and a kidney infection. She has been on the meds for almost 1 month. They would like me to recheck her bloodwork again to see if her pancreatitus has improved and if the infection is still present? So we plan to do that as soon as she has finished the meds next week.

My question is about her constant meowing? I figured in the beginning she was just mourning her brother but it has not improved it has actually gotten worse? She cries at us from the time we get up until the time we go to bed. If we pay no attention to her she will go into another room and cry or sometimes she will go to sleep.

If we pick her up and cuddle/pet/play with her she stops. As soon as we stop she starts again?? She purrs like crazy when you pick her up? Now we were away for a week and we had someone look in on her but it is driving us crazy??? For example as I am typing this she is meowing like crazy and I had to pick her up and put her on my lap to stop it????

I wish they could talk so she could tell me what the heck is up? She is normal in every other way?? I will be mentioning it to the vet when we go back but wondedred if anyone has any ideas or opinions?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe a bit of both missing her bro and not being well. Since I have not owned cats let me rephrase that been owned by cats I am not sure. But I really think it may be the stress of everything going on you being away, Bomber and the illness
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:54 PM

If she were mine, I would have a vet check her out.
Which you are going to do anyway.
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My feeling is just about the same as Mastifflover. She's had a lot of changes in her life in very quick succession. She will need to adjust. She's lost her life long companion. She's not feeling well. Mommy and Daddy went away and a stranger was in her home. It's bound to have a huge impact on her behaviour.
If she doesn't settle soon would you consider a mate for her? Not necessarily one her own age. Possible a kitten.
Have you tried giving her a stuffie to snuggle with? Or maybe a blanket that Bomber used?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

14+ I too thought it was all that she has been through but this seems to be so persistant ?? in your face meowing and only stopping when you pick her up or pet her??
DH says she is just spoiled

Havent considered another kitty yet. DH is honestly broken hearted...he has said there will never be another cat like Bomber... I need to convince him that he can share that love with another....and honestly I am not sure I am ready?? if it meant helpingTabitha I would do it in a heart beat but there are no guarantees....

Thanks ML & 14+ for your input your likely right...I am hoping she stops soon as I am gonna go bonkers...

Ozzie yes we are going to have a recheck soon!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,my Chico has been a little out of sorts,goes from room to room as if he is looking for Rocky,he also meows a lot,but not as much as your Tabitha.
Vinnie today,went and laid down under the bird-bath,Rockys fave spot,so I am sure Tabitha misses her friend Bomber very much+maybe she's also in pain

When you know Tabitha is ok,I would get her a companion for sure
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Our vet didnt think it was a good idea because of Tabithas age and behaviour! She rules this house and the 100 pound doggie knows it the best!! so she may not take to another cat??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yeah, we all know vets' don't always know what they are talking about.

I bet after you lost Bomber you spent some extra time picking up and spoiling Tabitha because you were trying to reassure her you still loved her, right? She may have just gotten used to the extra attention and decided she liked it.
I'd give her a few more weeks. If it doesn't abate I would try to see what she would do with a kitten. I happen to know of a few for adoption. We could always give it a trial run where you have the kitten in a crate (you still have Winston's, right?) and see what Tabitha does. It may be worth a shot.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Have you had her thyroid checked when you got her blood work done?

Puddles did meow a lot more after Snowball passed, it did take about 6 months for her to get back to normal.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

If you can stand it I agree with 14+. If you can wait it out, I have a ton of ear plugs in my office from the beach all unused I could send them to you.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Too funny! we will wait for now.

L4H I am pretty sure her thyroid came back clear. We did those battery of tests just shortley after Bomber got sick. I will recheck though for sure!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I had a recheck done today on Tabitha for urine and blood. The vet wanted it checked once she completed the 30 days of meds.

She was a good patient and they managed to get the blood sample from her neck this time rather than her leg. She had a full bladder so that helped with the sample. They will be doing the culture and sensitivity again. Also checking the pancreas again.

I discussed the thyroid and the vet said she was fine! She still weighed the same though! I was a little disappointment because I have become her personal slave with food. Whenever she wants it she gets it....so I thought she might have gained at least 1 pound but no...the smae...

The whining continues daily but it seems if we give her attention then she stops......

Hoping for good test results....
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post

The whining continues daily but it seems if we give her attention then she stops......

Hoping for good test results....
That sounds like Puddles when she lost Snowball. It did take some time for her to settle down.

Lots of for her bloodwork and urinalysis to come back clean.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I am soooooo happpy! The vet left a message indicating that Tabithas Urine C & S came back negative!!!!! yeah no more bacteria!!! also her Blood results came back improved so the et seems happy with it now.

FPLI went from 9.1 (high) down to 6.1 not perfect but great improvement
Creatinine went from 353 248 which is also not perfect but an improvement

So I guess that means the whining is something that I will either have to get used to or Tabitha will eventually settle?? we will see?? I do see some improvement lately a tiny bit anyway but its only because ignore her and she finally gets fed up and leaves...AND when she doesnt want to leave she goes to the corner of the room, faces the corner and meows at the corner of the room?? I wonder if she is going senile???

Anyway I am very happy to hear this!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 27th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wahoo

Took 6 months for Puddles to settle after Snowball

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 27th, 2010, 10:36 PM
-

Winston, I just saw this thread and although I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say WOO HOO for Tabitha's urine and blood tests.

P.S. I do think 14+ suggestion of a trial run kitten is a good one though.