Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 27th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Recurring skin problem

Molly has been to the vet a couple of times with this, vet didn't seem to be able to figure out what it was, but last time prescribed antibiotics (she'd chewed at a spot too much), and some antihistamine / steroid mix. A week or so off the meds, and the problems started to come back.

Vet said maybe bug bites getting infected. It almost looks like an exzema or psoriasis thing to me. It's a red splotchy looking spot with a crusty top (crusties are sort of yellowish). The are mostly on her trunk. She had some old bug bites on her belly a while back that healed up fine, I had thought they were related, but I don't think so.

She has been on advantix for the past few months, due for another dose in a couple of weeks. So it *shouldn't* be flea bites, plus I've checked her over a few times, and haven't seen anything in that regard.

I made an attempt to photograph some of the spots this evening, albeit not very clear (crappy camera I think, + wiggly dog). Anyone willing to give a shot as to what this might be, certainly helps (the three pics are all of the same spot, they're not all this big)

Thanks in advance !
Attached Images

Old July 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I'm a softy

there are many things it could be. Did the vet do a skin scraping? That would be the best thing to do, as it could be seborric(sp?) dermatits, ring worm, mange, hot spot, and for sure possible allergies, what are you feeding her? I would first of all assume it is allergies and look into her food, that will cause no harm and possible help. I would then go back to the vet, or another vet, because she should have had more done than the vague explanation you gave, is it itchy for her? Good luck, there will be an easy explanation for this, just have to find it! And a vet shoulda figured it out, how long ago was she at the vet? Has it changed since then? How long has it been the same, or how has it changed? Good luck! you will get lots of help here!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old July 27th, 2009, 08:39 PM

The first time I went to the vet, she was reluctant to give her meds, so it was just a soothing shampoo. The second time was after the spot on her back was starting to look not so great, and the vet examined her, and kind of picked away at the spot and checked to see if it was smelly. What's involved in an actual skin scraping ? I'm assuming that means something goes on a slide, which the vet did not do. Molly's mighty hard to get a good look at while at the vet, all 13-14 pounds of her have been known to have to be held down by at least 2 people, so there's a chance the vet couldn't get a great look !

It's been a few weeks since she was last at the vet, but then had a couple of weeks of meds. She was fine for a week or so after stopping meds, then the crusties attacked again, and yes, they are itchy.

Her diet, up until this time was Hill's C/D, which she's been on since she was a puppy (she's nearly 13 now), and for a little while there a combo of that and Medi-Cal gastro. No other changes, for a little while there I was giving her a little pumpkin, after a bout of belly troubles a while back (which also was why she was on the Gastro), and even that not in a good few weeks. For a long while now she gets her pills (thyro) in those Greenies pill pocket thingies, or under a little bit of natural peanut butter.

She is on the C/D because of her kidneys / crystals since puppyhood. A couple of years ago she was diagnosed via bloodwork with an underactive thyroid following symptoms like lethargy, shivering and skin problems (mostly dark patches on her belly but also severe skin dryness) , all of which cleared up after she was put on Thyro.