Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 24th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Question Cat ate a Piece of ribbon!

I discovered last night my 3 year old cat ate a piece of flat ribbon that had decorated a birthday present. About 1.5cm is sticking out from his anus. I gave him a good dose of hairball medication, and a good helping of wet catfood to try and get things moving. It has been about 15 hours now and the ribbon is still there. I don't think the ribbon was very long- about 10 cm. he doesn't seem to be in pain, he just stops and licks more often than usual (that can't be too comfortable!). Anyone have a suggestion? I realize if he stops eating or looks to be in pain I will take him asap to a vet, but is this small enough it should just pass through?
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Unhappy

I have decided to take Westley to the vet about this situation, no one I spoke with seemed to know what to do. The vet seemed very concerned and said to bring him in this afternoon. I'll leave an update later so everyone else will know what to do if this should happen to their cat.
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:35 AM

I certainly hope things are Ok. Please do keep us updated!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm very glad you're taking him to the vet. If nothing moved in all those hours, it could mean rather serious trouble.

Please keep us updated!!
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Unhappy

Yes- I am very worried about him. I hope this is only a minor matter :sad: And to think the ribbon was from a present from my 30th b-day on Sunday :sad: He must have dug it out of the garbage bin....I feel so badly!
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

awww

don't feel bad Pisces20, cats are always into EVERYTHING!! You could make a full-time job out of supervising them and they'd STILL find something.

Kudos to you for going to the vet quickly!!

Let us know as soon as you have news, we'll be thinking good thoughts about your baby.
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:02 PM
banned user

Please don't feel bad, cats are very mischievous!
I hope he is okay and don't forget to update us! Good luck. :love:
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Talking All Is Well!

Well, the trip to the vet was a bit tramatic, but all is well. The vet had to manually remove the ribbon, which turned out to be about 15cm long. There wasn't any blood, so, that was a huge relief. The vet told me that I did the right thing- giving West a lot of hairball medication and letting him eat all he could. That made everything move through him faster, and the lubrication prevented any ripping, chafing or tearing. He said that doing that probably saved me $1000 worth of surgery. WHEW. So, now I just monitor him and make sure everything is operating well with his digestive tract.

SO- in the case of kitty eating bad things- as long as it isn't sharp or poisonous- hairball med until you gan get kitty to the vet

He is on antibiotics as well, just in the case there was some damage, as well as high-fibre wet cat food to clean anything else out of his system.

Taking your cat to the vet in a situation like this is key. Thanks to all who advised me until I could get him looked at Fingers crossed this situation is CLOSED!