Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 11th, 2006, 08:27 PM

Puppy Affraid of Bowl???

My 7 month old pup is SO FREAKIN WEIRD!!!

He pretty much stopped eating all together. It would take 3 or 4 times of me picking up the bowl and putting it away in order for him to eat. When I start to prepare his food, he runs and hides! He would sit by the bowl, and you can see on his face that he WANTS to eat it, but he's scared to go near it. But once he'd start eating, he'd usually eat most of it.

Recently he just STOPPED eating and I was about to make a vet appointment when I tried one last tactic, and poured the food on the floor. He ate every last bit of it. He's done it now twice, and he eats it as if he finally got a meal after being starved forever.

Also, I had introduced a new dog when he was 4 months old, and he was very good with food he would eat it so fast before then. After that he became very agressive with his food for a week, then just started to get weird about it.

He's been checked out by the doctor so many times, and he keeps saying he's totally healthy.

Has ANYBODY ever had a problem like this? how do you fix such a thing???

justin

Last edited by NachoBoots; October 11th, 2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Performance Spaniels

What type of bowl?

My 2 year old isn't afraid of the bowl, but she would rather eat off the floor. I humoured her for a few months, and decided she needed to suck it up.. She started eating from her bowl when I started ignoring her and it, and refused to give her anything off my plate at any meal etc.
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM

Try a plate, a different bowl. If need be, his own special throw rug. But don't worry, if there's food available for him to eat, he won't starve. Is he scared of his water bowl? If not, put the food in the water bowl, and the water in his food bowl. (Be creative!)

My 6 month old Std Poodle (Angie) is a social eater, doesn't want to eat unless I'm in the room. Answer to that is to move the food bowl to the room where I spend most time--so she's getting to be a TV addict! She still has to go to the kitchen for her water bowl, tho.
Old October 11th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Senior Contributor

brax was scared of the bowl when i first got gim, and if we change his bowl he can be put off a bit. i had to put the food in my hand but still kinda in the bowl so he built a trust for it.
Old October 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM
-

What is his bowl made of? Personally, I wouldn't use plastic. If you are using ceramic try switching to stainless steel and vice-versa.
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM

The bowl is stainless steel...he drinks out of his water bowl just fine. We think that since we got boots, he just wants to be special maybe? His water bowl is the same type of bowl.

He seems to not trust the bowl. he use to though.
Old October 13th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Bowl

Our puppy loves to get ice cubes put in his bowl as a treat and he loves to crunch and lick them until they dissolve. One day, we put the ice cube in his bowl as usual and he freaked right out. He started practically moonwalking backwards to "get away from it" and started barking. We thought it was quite funny and just chalked it up to one of those "fear periods" we read about that are common in puppies in their developmental stage. I read that one woman's dog all of a sudden became terrified of paper bags for no reason even though the dog had seen them on a regular basis.

I guess we would have been a little more concerned if it was his food he wouldn't eat like in your case, but he still ate out of his bowl and drank out of his water bowl. It's only the ice cubes that he didn't like in there. He eventually outgrew it and is back to normal. We still don't know if it was because of a fear period or what, but we just rolled with it.

Viola and Barkley