Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 11th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Exclamation Dog Diagnosed with Nasal Bacterial Infection---Did not Respond to Antibiotic Treatmnt

I need some advice. My 10 year old female Australian Sheppard developed a runny nose in November of 2002. She was diagnosed with a with a sinus bacterial infection in December 2002. Tests did not indicate cancer or a fungal infection. Bloodwork came back clear. She was placed on Clavamox and Atarax, and given a cortisone shot, and did not respond. Then she received another antibiotic, Baytril, along with Atarax and 2 more cortisone shots. Still, no resolution of her symptoms. My vet said the next step would be a CT scan/MRI and possible nasal surgery. A second opinion suggested a possible autoimmune disorder and steriod treatment. Which route should I take? I am open to homepathic suggestions. She has severe crusting of the nose and puss discharge from mainly the right nostril. If I can help her, what can I do?

Any assistance is appreciated.

---Michelle

Update 1/22/03: I now have my dog on a 30 day dose of Tetracycline, 1500mg a day. I'll post my results at the end of the treatment session.
Old January 24th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Hi,

A nasal bacterial infection, to my knowledge, would be more an immunodeficiency than an autoimmune problem.
There is a homéopathic complex named OCULONAT that works well on
these chronic sinusitis. It stimulates the yealing of tissus, decreases the inflammation and the secretions, increases the defense against infection.

The dog should take oraly 3 granules 3 times a day for a good month or two.
This type of disease usually occurs after giving a vaccination or from chemical insectisides.

Paul Guindon DMV
Clinique veterinaire Salaberry
Medecine conventionnelle et holystique
1895 Salaberry, Montreal, QC
514-334-7280
Old January 25th, 2003, 12:49 PM

Thank you for the the response

Dear Doctor Guindon:

Thank you for responding to my posting. Unfortunately, Zoe passed away on 1/24/03. While my heart is broken, I realize that she is no longer in persistent discomfort and for that I am grateful. My only regret is that I was unable to find more information on my dog's condition, anywhere (WWW, breeders, local vets, shelters, pet stores, etc.). I could not have been the only dog owner in Los Angeles with this problem, but it felt like that. In addition, feeding her consistently became a problem as she lost her appetite. Thank goodness there are websites devoted to caring for sick animals, and I was able to get info and supplies on syringe feeding.

Warm Regards,

Michelle Rose-Fuller
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Unhappy Nasal Issue

Hi, I was hoping mrosefuller was still an active member here. I am now having the same issues with my dog that she had with hers. I realize that was in 2003 and am so sorry she lost her dog. I am working with 4 Vets on the issue but we can't seem to get it resolved. I know she felt at the time her dog was the only one around that had this problem; I know the feeling. I would love to discuss what went on with her dog if it is not too painful for her. I'm afraid I am facing losing my dog too.
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Can you post some history of the dog
age, breed, medication, when this started how it may have started and what's been done investigatively or medically so far?
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:12 AM

Hi There,

I am so sorry to hear your pet has a similar condition. My vet could never determine what the cause of death was, and that was the worst part. In retrospect, I think she suffered a massive immune deficiency disorder of some kind. I have since adopted another dog and I am very careful about what chemicals she is exposed to-no insecticide on the lawn, no routine oral flea/tick medication, topical flea medication in the summer (if necessary), I feed her grain free food, I don't have her vaccinated every year, and to keep her immune system strong I give her powdered collostrum with some yogurt.

My dog started with a runny nose in October 2002, and by December 2002 she was on death's door. She developed a scabby nose that simply wouldn't heal. Our vet conducted a nasal irrigation but there were no abnormal cells. We had her on antibiotics and steroids, and she still lost her appetite. I was unable to get her to eat, and force feeding was useless. In January 2003 she passed away naturally. I think she hung on one extra month for me. When I realized that it was a loosing battle in December I focused on making her as comfortable as possible, and when I told her it was ok to let go on January 24th, she passed away that day. I wish the vet would have been more progressive and suggested pain management measures for her. If this should ever happen to me again I will insist on it.

Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,

Michelle

Last edited by mrosefuller; November 30th, 2007 at 12:17 AM. Reason: correction
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:40 PM

reply to mrosefuller

Hi Michelle,
Thank you so much for responding. I'm so sorry your dog passed. I'm glad it happened naturally and that you did not have to make that decision for her. Mine too is an Australian Shepard and is 9 years old. I work for a Vet office and we can't seem to come up with a clear diagnosis. We assume some sort of cancer although the latest blood work points to bacterial infection (which could also mean tumor). I've tried a gamet of antiobotics and am now back to Baytril, with nothing making much difference. X-Rays have not been much help either other than showing some inflammation. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I know you felt that way too. I just had not heard of anyone else having this issue with their dog until I found your post. I appreciate your willingness to answer questions as I know I'll have a few soon. It is just nice to have someone who has been through this to talk to.
Thank you again,
Sky
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:49 PM

And to Luna

Hi Luna,
Thanks for your interest. My response to "mrosefuller" gives a brief history. One other possible key element is that she had an incident with a tractor that caused her to loose her right eye when she was a puppy. She now, 8yrs later, bleeds from her right nostril. Did that injury allow cancer to set up in the bone structure on that side of her face? Just one of the many questions I've been asking myself and the Vets. Any advice or thoughts you can give is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Sky
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, sjmc. We had a springer, Priscilla (close to 15 years of age), with a similar problem. They never did diagnose her other than to find on xray a vague spot that looked like a mass way back in her sinuses. It would have meant surgically drilling through bone to biopsy, so we just let it be.

The bad news: Priscilla finally passed from the consequences of what was probably a nasal tumor. I won't lie to you--it was traumatic. The nosebleeds got worse and one day we knew it was her time. We'd made an appointment to see the vet, but the tumor burst before then and she bled out peacefully in the backyard. We put in an emergency call to the vet when it started and the vet was able to make it to the house a few minutes later to help Priscilla to the bridge...but by then, she was pretty much gone anyway.

The good news: it did not seem particularly painful for Priscilla. In fact, I felt, watching her, that it was much more traumatic for us than for her. She seemed very calm and accepting of what was happening. And she was such an independent soul and loved life so much that I doubt she would have had it any other way--spending her last moments under her favorite bushes with her favorite people.

I know that's not a happy ending to the story--and it may not happen for your dog. But I wished at the time that someone had warned me it might play out that way...and so I'll share the story with you.

that it doesn't come to that!

Are you sure she doesn't have a grass awn stuck up there somewhere? The symptoms can be similar to what you're describing--for a long time, that's what we thought Priscilla might be suffering from.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:14 AM

reply to hazelrunpak

Thanks for your kind warning. I've been afraid of that very thing happening; coming home from work to find my poor dog in a puddle of blood. I'm sorry about your Pricilla. It is horrible watching them go through this and feeling so helpless. My dog does not really seem to be in any pain either but the constant conjestion and drainage must be miserable and is making breathing more difficult. She does not seem to have any appetite right now and I've just about run out of ideas for hiding pills. I'm going to try some injectables tomorrow.

I was told the same thing about biopsying. I deciced the same as you. Why put an animal through that only to confirm what we basically already know.

I have hoped beyond hope that it was only a blade of grass/foreign body but seems like everything points to worse things.

Thank you for your kind words. The truth of what I may be facing is appreciated as I can't seem to find any answers elsewhere. It is a comfort to share with this forum. Thank you again.
Sky
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:48 PM

Hang in There

Hi Sky,

Perhaps Aussies have a predisposition to nasal cancer, although the only recorded incidents I could find were for German Shepherds.

I love this breed, and my second adopted dog is an aussie as well, a sable merle (blue merle with a red gene=blue undercoat and apricot/copper on top).

My first aussie was about 10 when this happened to her, and there was no bleeding. Just a non-healing scabby nose and an acidic nasal discharge. I have to say, she didn't seem to be in extra-ordinary pain, just increasingly weak from lack of food. She went from 55 lbs to 35 lbs at the time of her death. I'm glad she was a bit overweight when this happened-it gave her a reserve to draw from while we were trying to find a cure.

I know this situation is heartbreaking. Cherish the time you have with her; some days will be better than others. Spend as much cuddle time together as possible. You may want to take her to a homeopathic vet who may have a different approach. If recovery does not happen, I hope that she will pass peacefully on her own.

Again, feel free to share/vent. We're here for you.

Michelle

Last edited by mrosefuller; December 4th, 2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Correction
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:21 PM

Happy Holidays

Hi everybody,
Thank you so much for your last kind response Michele. I really appreciate all the support. Sorry I have'nt been on here for awhile. We've been very busy on the farm and with the Holidays. I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!
Last time I was on here my dog was going through a rough spell and I was afraid I was getting close to losing her. I took her to another vet where they were able to do more advanced X-rays and endoscopies. They confirmed my fears. She does have cancer and much of the bone in her right nasal passage has been eaten away. Ther is also alot of tumor like tissue above her palate into the nasal cavity. However, I am very happy to say she has been doing great. One of our Vets put a small drain tube in the top of her nose which now allows the drainage that was coming out of her nostril to flow out of the tube. She breathes much better and does not have to lick constantly. She is now eating and playing like she used too. It has been amazing! I know this will not cure her and ther will come a day where it won't help anymore but as for now she is loving life again and I definatly got my Christmas wish!
Thank you again for all your support. Any further helpful ideas are greatly appreciated. I am still very comforted to be able to talk to you and it keeps me from driving my husband and collegues crazy! I hope you all have a Happy New Year!
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

No ideas right now, but I did want to say how wonderful it is that you got your Christmas wish! The drain sounds like a marvelous idea!

I'm sure she's eating up all the extra attention and loving she's getting.

I'm so glad things are going so well right now. And if you need us later...well, you know where to find us!

Meanwhile, that she'll do well for a very long time!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Swift Tribe

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Great News

Hi Sky,

What wonderful news! So glad you were able to find the problem and take action. Now you know what you are up against, and can enjoy your pup a while longer. Thanks for sharing this information with the community, as I know there are others out there who have experienced this problem and not known where to turn.

Enjoy the holidays and Happy New Year!

Michelle
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Lost My Best Friend

Hello Again,
Thank you for all your support and kind words. Unfortunatly last Tues. I had to let go of my best friend. We were rapidly losing the battle with her cancer. It was truly the saddest day of my life. I miss her so much. I am so grateful to have the time I had with her. She truly blessed my life. Thank you all again for your support.
Sincerely,
Sky
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I just read this thread for the first time and I would say that your pet has gone over the bridge with all of your love that you have given her. It sounds like you were able to give her a couple more months with the care she had. I am so sad for your loss. pbp
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so sorry, Sky. She was very lucky to have you, as you were to have her.

Old March 14th, 2008, 08:46 PM

My condolences on Your Loss

Dear Sky,

I know how hard this must be for you, and my heart goes out to you. May your memories sustain you right now and time heal your pain.

I hope we all will be reunited with our fur children one day

Hugs,

Michelle
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Another Aussie with nasal discharge

Your experiences are so similar to what we just went through with our 9 year old female Aussie. She did have lupus, which for two years was being controlled with meds. In mid-September she developed a slight cough, followed by nasal discharge. This was treated as a bacterial infection, with no improvement. The vet upped her pred and we used a antibiotic nose drop, both of which did give some relief for a few weeks. Last monday, she started panting and developed a fever, was put on fluids at the emergency vet to cool her and given a shot of a NSAI, which didn't help. Took her home, cooled her in the tub and the fever broke. She was fine for a couple of hours, then became lethargic. Back to the vet and by that time she was not wanting to walk, move, etc. He determined she could no longer see and was having other neuological problems. He suspected a nasal tumor that had finally invaded the frontal lobe. She died quite peacefully in my arms. We still are not completely sure that it was a nasal tumor, but your story and others who have posted have made us think this was indeed the case. We also had trouble getting a diagnosis, treatment or just information on what could be happening to her. It seems like she went from fairly normal on Monday and gone less than 24 hours later. It has been shocking and sad and we miss her so much. Thank you for posting this information, it has brought us some comfort.
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so sorry for your loss, Patrice She was a lucky girl to have had such a loving home.

Old November 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM

My Condolences

Hi Patrice,

I just received your post. It is so hard to loose our fur children. My second aussie passed on July 24th, a bizarre result of complications due to a dog bite incident that occurred in October 2008. An unnecessary tragedy. I miss her so much.

May time and your memories bring comfort to you.

Warm Regards,

Michelle
Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:24 AM

My Aussie Mix.....

Hello Everybody,

It seems that it has been a while since all your dogs were suffering, but I just wanted to share with you that I too have an Australian Shepherd mix, going on to 15 years old. She too is suffering with the inability to breath due to who knows what? I found this blog in the middle of the night, since I can't sleep due to my dog's inability to breathe. She snores terribly and can't seem to find her breath. Did anyone take the doctor's advice and give their dog the granules that he mentioned? My dog used to be the fastest eater in the world, and now she just looks at her food. I am frustrated with the vet because she has no answers. She has been on antibiotics twice, with very little help. If anyone has heard anything new as to how to go about helping dogs with this condition, please advise! Just a small note, my vet thinks my dog has cushings syndrome.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Has your dog been treated with pred, or does your vet just think cushings from testing?

This nasal stuff looks to be from bacterial, fungal, cancer, or virus. Further testing is required to distinguish.

There is another thread going, with dogs that have nasal cancer, currently being treated with various supplements, and pulsing with doxycycline (which has anti-cancer properties). Maybe that thread has some ideas.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, the homeopathic pellets - I would try them.
Old December 11th, 2016, 06:52 PM

My 3 year old goldendoodle (Ollie) has had nasal discharge for 3 months. Went away for a while on doxy. He's now on 3rd antibiotic Baytril. On it for 8 days and still has discharge. Diagnosed with staph aureus (Not MRSA) vet thinks he may have tumor because "there is some reason he got this". Other vet says probably not because he did x ray and could see pretty far back. Ollie is kind of scrunching his nose but I think he's always done that? Any input from anyone with similar symptoms would be appreciated. I'm worried
Old February 13th, 2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauwill View Post
My 3 year old goldendoodle (Ollie) has had nasal discharge for 3 months. Went away for a while on doxy. He's now on 3rd antibiotic Baytril. On it for 8 days and still has discharge. Diagnosed with staph aureus (Not MRSA) vet thinks he may have tumor because "there is some reason he got this". Other vet says probably not because he did x ray and could see pretty far back. Ollie is kind of scrunching his nose but I think he's always done that? Any input from anyone with similar symptoms would be appreciated. I'm worried
I found this thread as my dog is going through similar symptoms. 14 year old terrier mix. Initially the vet gave me meds for kennel cough. At that time, mid December, he did not have anything but minor clear discharge. I suspected it wasn't kennel cough as I have 3 other dogs and none of them had symptoms. After that didn't resolved the issue and continuing with a conservative approach next step was Zyrtec, humidifier, honey and eucalyptus oil. The symptoms got worse as far as sneezing which turned into more of a convulsing with additional discharge with more color to it.

Next step x-rays. These showed minor bronchitis and a cough suppressant was started along with a 30 day dose of prednisone. About 15-20 days into that treatment symptoms getting worse. At this point did a heartworm test just to rule that out. Came back negative and my dog was very symptomatic while at the vet so able to get a sample of the nasal discharge. I left the vet with augmentin. So currently on cough suppressant, prednisone and augmentin.

Over the weekend the results came back and he has a 3 strain staph infection with one strain resistant to anything but an injection that my vet is tracking down. But just being on the augmentin for a week his symptoms have lessened. Vet said that augemtin is attacking 2 of the strains. At no point was cancer ever mentioned to me.
Old February 13th, 2017, 10:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Although it seems counter intuitive, it's a bit of a relief when they can find pathogens, quikhnds. It's something with a possible cure, where nasal cancer is usually just a waiting game. Best wishes. Please keep us posted on how your dog is doing.

Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:00 PM

Ollie

Update on 3 year old goldendoodle with staph. All symptoms went away cleared 1st week of January. He's been great except for runny nose (clear) and sneezing. This morning I noticed that the yellow discharge was back. He does lick it away so I don't know how long he's had it this time and I just haven't noticed. I guess we'll see what the vet says but there has to be some reason he is getting this from us.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks for the update, Lauwill, though I know how frustrating your situation is. Saying a little prayer that the vet has some other options to explore.