Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 7th, 2018, 12:57 PM

Unhappy my Pit ate my flip flop!

My 60lb dog ate my flip-flop Monday evening while I was at work. she ate dinner Monday night. I thought all the pieces were accounted for but she had explosive diarrhea with blood around noon on Tuesday. We decided to fast her Tuesday night and she is still acting herself and wanting to eat. shes drinking water and playing. Tuesday night she had a SMALL semi-solid BM (nuggets ) but there were no pieces of the flip-flop to be found. she pooped again this afternoon (wednesday) and it was the same as last night. a small amount of semi-solid nuggets but closer to a soft stool ( TMI LOL) both BMs had blood in it. The blood is red, not dried. shes in great health aside from this, so the only thing we can think of is she ate some of the flip-flops. she is raw fed and has had the same supplements. Nothing has changed. she doesn't care if you touch her stomach either. she seems completely normal aside from diarrhea. shes completely herself.

when is this cause for concern?
how long should she fast?
when should the rubber pieces have passed?
Old March 7th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I would be concerned now. A flip flop won't digest, I bet, and could cause a blockage. Don't know if it would show up on Xray but I would at least phone my Vet.
Old March 7th, 2018, 10:21 PM

I should be concerned even if she is acting normal? Her stomach isn't hard at all and she doesn't care if you press anywhere on her.
Old March 7th, 2018, 11:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes, check with the vet even if she's acting normally. Red blood is always a cause for concern. Best case scenario, she just has some irritation in the bowel, but she might still need medication to help heal the intestine. Worse would be a partial blockage or a tear in the intestinal wall. I'm with Longblades--I'd at least give the vet a call.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 27th, 2018, 08:43 AM

Any Update?

I hope all is well. Let us know what happened with your pit.
Old March 27th, 2018, 08:47 AM

She’s fine!

Yes she is completely fine we did go to The vet and she didn’t ingest anything or passed it and we didn’t see.

Thank you!
Old March 27th, 2018, 03:28 PM

Tags
blood, diarrhea, dog