Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 25th, 2018, 04:24 PM

Dog really bad ear infection vet treated 3X

Does anyone know about Dog Ear Infections

One of our dogs, a 7 year old rescue Shepherd Beagle, has an ear infection that is painful and emits a foul odor, and it won't go away.

The Vet has treated him 3 times in the past 2 months.

On Jan.6 the Vet prescribed CKT. The symptoms didn't improve.

On Jan 16 the vet performed a lab evaluation and prescribed EKT.

The symptoms continued.

On February 1 the vet prescribed a combination of Baytril Otic Eardrops and Betadine Sol. The Vet mentioned the next step is to operate.

Its 3 1/2 weeks since the last visit and there is no improvement.

Has anyone experienced this before. Is operating a good way to go?

We appreciate your advice.

Thank-you
Old February 25th, 2018, 11:53 PM

Welcome to the board.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your dog. Do you mind telling me what you are feeding him. Did the vet mention anything about allergies to you?

It appears as if one of the main problems with ear infections can be food allergies. It's not just with dogs either, cats are having the same problems.

If I were you, I would be thinking of getting a 2nd opinion from another vet who is an Integrative vet. There are alternative procedures that might be of benefit for the dog before going to the surgery route for the problem.

I know there are some Hmeopathics that work for ear problems, and also Acupuncture. If you find a Homeopathic vet in your area who has been practising for some time, maybe they would be able to advise you or suggest a protocol that would alleviate the problem.

With our cats, I administer Colloidal Silver that I purchased at the Health Food Store, not the pet food store. If he is suffering pain, I find that administering Arnica 30 C pellets help to relieve the pain.

If you decide to go this route, speak to the people at the Health Food store on how to give the Arnica pellets. I've had good success with them both for myself and the cats for relieving pain.
Old February 26th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Does your dog do a lot of swimming in lakes and ponds? I am asking because my last dog had floppy ears and got an ear infection after swimming in a lake that had polluted water . There was no signs up warning people of the water not being safe to swim in. I was told to dry my dog floppy ears after he went swimming to keep him from getting anymore infections in them.

Last edited by Barkingdog; February 26th, 2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old February 27th, 2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Welcome to the board.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your dog. Do you mind telling me what you are feeding him. Did the vet mention anything about allergies to you?

It appears as if one of the main problems with ear infections can be food allergies. It's not just with dogs either, cats are having the same problems.

If I were you, I would be thinking of getting a 2nd opinion from another vet who is an Integrative vet. There are alternative procedures that might be of benefit for the dog before going to the surgery route for the problem.

I know there are some Hmeopathics that work for ear problems, and also Acupuncture. If you find a Homeopathic vet in your area who has been practising for some time, maybe they would be able to advise you or suggest a protocol that would alleviate the problem.

With our cats, I administer Colloidal Silver that I purchased at the Health Food Store, not the pet food store. If he is suffering pain, I find that administering Arnica 30 C pellets help to relieve the pain.

If you decide to go this route, speak to the people at the Health Food store on how to give the Arnica pellets. I've had good success with them both for myself and the cats for relieving pain.
Reg,

Thank-you for reading and replying to my post. We have two dogs and they are on the same diet. The dog with the ear infection the rescue Shepherd Beagle is my girl friends dog. We've been under the same roof for a year. Her dog has been on the same diet as my dog which is a blond apricot Labradoodle. The diet is Kirkland lamb and rice. Two years ago my former vet had recommended lamb and rice for my dog because her skin color (reddish)indicated a possible allergy to her kibble which previously was was non-specific. My girlfriends dog has had ear infections for years and because she didn't have money to visit a vet she didn't go. This could be the reason the situation is what it is.
I make it a priority to get illnesses treated for the sake of the animal. I will explore your suggestions to get a second opinion from another vet and to look into the products from the health food store. Its always good to listen to others. Thank-you
Old February 27th, 2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Does your dog do a lot of swimming in lakes and ponds? I am asking because my last dog had floppy ears and got an ear infection after swimming in a lake that had polluted water . There was no signs up warning people of the water not being safe to swim in. I was told to dry my dog floppy ears after he went swimming to keep him from getting anymore infections in them.
Barking Dog, thank-you for replying to my post. Our dogs don't swim. It makes a lot of sense that with the polluted waters and floppy ears that it would be a bacteria incubator. Thank-you for taking the time to comment. Its good advice.
Old February 27th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othskiracer View Post
Barking Dog, thank-you for replying to my post. Our dogs don't swim. It makes a lot of sense that with the polluted waters and floppy ears that it would be a bacteria incubator. Thank-you for taking the time to comment. Its good advice.
I hope you'll find out what causing your poor dog to get ear infections . I would love to see some photos of your dogs when you have the time to post some

Tags
ear infection