Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 16th, 2018, 11:16 PM

Is this a flea?

Hi everyone, new member here.
A week ago, after bathing Brady I discovered two small round scab like rash on his back . I immediately thought they were flea bites and looked around more for signs of flea feces or bites, but was unable to find any.
I took him to the vet the next day and the vet used the flea comb and took a look behind his legs and in his ears and said he did not have any fleas, I showed the rash to the vet and he said they were allergies. Nonetheless, I asked to put Brady on flea medication since I take him to the dog park, on hikes, and daycare quite often. The vet applied Revolution drop on his back.

Today, after a hike and a trip to the dog park, I discovered a bug on Brady, I was able to catch it and put it in a zip loc bag. Before I freak out, I thought I would make sure it is actually a flea!

For some reason, I could not attach the video, so instead here is a link to the video and a picture of the rash that the vet said was "allergy"
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kEh2oTjUbrL4v9cB7

Brady is going to hate me, but I am planning to give him another bath now (gave him one yesterday already ), and vacuum the house. Will have to wait till tomorrow to buy a flea comb since all the stores are closed now. Just wondering what else should I do and whether or not maybe the Revolution medication isn't working?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by Mybrady; July 16th, 2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hard to be 100% sure - but to my eye, it looks like it might well be a flea.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 17th, 2018, 12:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It's hard for me to play video, but it might be a flea. In my experience, though, fleas are damnably hard to catch and very teeny--hard for me to tell how big your critter is. If you want to know for sure, run it into the vet and ask at the desk?

As for the Revolution not working, remember that just one flea doesn't necessarily mean an infestation. Our dogs will pick up fleas now and then just hanging in the yard, or after they catch a rabbit, but we've never had a problem in the house. (The dogs use Frontline for tick control, which also does a nice job on fleas. The cat uses Revolution, and he's never had a case of fleas, either.) So don't panic unless you see more. Vacuuming is a good idea, and if Brady has fabric-covered beds, you should probably wash the covers on them.

Not sure about the bites.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 23rd, 2018, 08:25 PM

Thank you for helpful advice! Vacuumed, bathed him, and bought a flea comb. So far have not found anymore signs of fleas yet
Old July 24th, 2018, 11:46 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yay!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."