Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old April 29th, 2017, 11:54 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

JD: The Conquest Begins

Once JD had bamboozled hubby with his charm, it was time for him to work on the dogs. These pics are from September and early October 2016 (which is as far as I've gotten in my editing).

Grace was almost easy. She was always fascinated, so JD only needed to exert a little charm to get things going his way.

Fascination from a distance:
Name:  Fascination 9-24-16 A.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  91.1 KB

A little closer:
Name:  Fascination 9-24-16 B.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  75.9 KB

Sniffies:
Name:  Fascination 9-25-16 A.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  122.9 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 29th, 2017, 12:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The rest of the dogs were harder to convince, but still interested. Their interest isn't necessarily benevolent, though--we now know that Ember would as soon snap at the cat as sniff him, so they'll probably never be friends. But that doesn't mean that cat-watching isn't a fun activity for the Pack.

Early days, they were only allowed to watch JD through the gate:
Name:  Fascination 9-25-16 B.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  68.1 KB

But we soon got to supervised cat-watching in the same room:
Name:  Ember and Ridge cat-watching 9-27-16.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  84.1 KB
(Interestingly, the only time we ever saw Ridge and Ember share a dog nest was when they were engaged in tag-team cat-watching like this )

Meanwhile, Grace was relaxing a little more:
Name:  Getting closer to Grace 9-29-16 A.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  99.7 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 29th, 2017, 12:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And finally, JD's schmoozing paid off--at least with Grace:
Name:  JD and his buddy Grace 9-30-16.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  67.8 KB

"I love you, Grace!"
Name:  I love you, Grace! 10-2-16.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  85.8 KB

"You're my buddy!"
Name:  Getting to know you 10-3-16 B.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  92.8 KB

Sadly, it was not to last, though. They were best buds at the beginning of October, but by the end of the month, JD had taken to playing with Grace--which meant he'd run mock commando raids on her and mock-bite at her ears and elbows. She doesn't understand how cats play and sure doesn't like getting raided, mock attack or not, so she's a little more stand-offish these days. JD is sad about it but doesn't understand why she won't play--her reluctance just inspires him to try harder, but he still gets rebuffed. *sigh* But I keep telling him that when we get a puppy, he'll be able to train it up right, right from the start, and that makes him happier.

Old April 29th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, the tag team cat watching is funny. What do you suppose it means? Strength in numbers? Meaning they think strength is required?

My sister's English Shepherd was with us for two weeks, went home yesterday. Bonnie is used to cats and she is a very good girl and she's stayed here before. Each visit takes less and less time for the cats to decide she's as safe as their own dog. I missed several head rubs and mutual ear cleanings with my camera but they never lay down together.
Old April 29th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Cute photos ! I love the one when they're rubbing faces together.

When are you getting a new puppy, you'll have to posts photos pretty pleases !
Old April 29th, 2017, 09:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Longblades, as this is their first cat and none of them is younger than 10 yrs of age, I think they really do think strength is required--you know, just in case the mystery animal turns into a lion of a monster and starts indiscriminate mauling when they aren't looking. They create drama wherever than can, just for the excitement--hence, Dangerous Butterflies and Sinister Snakes. After all those years of repelling the Deadly Denizens of Deep Forest, having a denizen of their own, living in the house, for Pete's sake ("Mom and Dad, what are you thinking?!?"), is just a bit too much to be comfortable with...

Barkingdog, you know that if we get a puppy, there will be pictures....it's just a matter of how long before they're ready to post! However, I'm hoping to be caught up in my editing long before we get a pup...we're just in the 'thinking about it' stage right now. And we'll probably wait until at least Ember has crossed to the Bridge--he's not a fan of puppies or other little animals... (He used to love pups but then he got bitten or scratched on the leather of his nose by a youngster, which was quite painful, and now he's just not a fan... )

Old April 30th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

what a great photo story HRP!!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 30th, 2017, 02:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's a real fairy tale, Marko--long ago and far away! But as I get caught up in my editing, the story will continue!

Old April 30th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I would love to know what everyone is thinking in the photos !