Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:57 PM

Blood in urine

Took Miss Mika to the vets this evening. This morning when she got up she was peeing and it had lots of blood in it. Vet did urine analysis and showed no infection, kidneys working fine, but had high protein which indicates inflammation. Gave me some antibiotics to give orally and metacam for the inflammation. I don't understand what it could be anyone ever experience this??
Mika was at the vets two weeks ago for her annual, and heartworm test and had a sore on her two and received an injection of antibiotics. I don't get how there is blood and everything looked fine. If not cleared up in 10 days, she will have an x-ray and blood test. Any idea's?
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:59 AM
Senior Contributor

How old? What breed? What size? Is she spayed? If there was any sign of her peeing not being normal in some way I'd say take her back for an x-ray now. She could have bladder stones. With my Silk it was small pieces flaking off a huge stone that were digging in as she tried to pass them, causing bleeding.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
How old? What breed? What size? Is she spayed? If there was any sign of her peeing not being normal in some way I'd say take her back for an x-ray now. She could have bladder stones. With my Silk it was small pieces flaking off a huge stone that were digging in as she tried to pass them, causing bleeding.
Mika is 5 and she is a Dachshund. Weighs 13 pounds and yes she was spayed at 6 months old. Well everything seems normal, except of course for the blood. Vet said if not better in 10 days with the metacam and clavaseptin then he would do x-rays to look for stones. Her urine didn't even have crystals in it, very odd. Mika has one infection in her life and that was last year, almost to the day. My vet didn't feel anything in the bladder when he checked her either.
Are there other signs to look for?
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
Took Miss Mika to the vets this evening. This morning when she got up she was peeing and it had lots of blood in it. Vet did urine analysis and showed no infection, kidneys working fine, but had high protein which indicates inflammation. Gave me some antibiotics to give orally and metacam for the inflammation. I don't understand what it could be anyone ever experience this??
Mika was at the vets two weeks ago for her annual, and heartworm test and had a sore on her two and received an injection of antibiotics. I don't get how there is blood and everything looked fine. If not cleared up in 10 days, she will have an x-ray and blood test. Any idea's?
Yes I have. I had Standard Poodle who was my hearing dog and he started to smell strange and a few days later when he took a pee the snow turned bright red! My heart broke! My dog had a x ray and it was tumor in his kidney and he had a biopsy and the news was not good! My dog was not able to eat anymore and the cancer could had spread. I had to put my beloved dog and best friend down. I hope your dog does not have the same thing. I miss my dog terribly and I hope people will not mind me writing about him from time to time.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:38 PM

Barkingdog, nobody minds if you talk about your dog, most of us have been through the same situation and know how you feel. Mine died over two years ago, and I think about her often and miss her alot.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
Barkingdog, nobody minds if you talk about your dog, most of us have been through the same situation and know how you feel. Mine died over two years ago, and I think about her often and miss her alot.
I had people come up to when I was with my hearing dog and the person would tell how much they miss their childhood dog who was a poodle. Our pets leave their paws prints in our hearts forever...
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Kasianni, my Thorin did the same thing. He was fine, then all of a sudden started peeing blood. We took him in, no infection. He had xrays and had Calcium Oxylate stones in his bladder and one lodge in his tube

He didn't show any signs of pain at all, my poor sweet boy. But the vet said it must have been terrible pain for him. Of course he had to have surgery ASAP. I would opt for the xrays, just to be safe (if, of course, you can afford it). Good luck and I hope your sweet girl is ok!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I miss my dog terribly and I hope people will not mind me writing about him from time to time.
Of course not, Barkingdog
I lost one of my beautiful boys just in March, and I still (and probably always will) speak of him often. They are our loves

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Kasianni, Silk had hardly a crystal in her urine either but had huge stones, see below.One more was sent away for analysis. The vet didn't find them by palpation. An x ray would be a way to eliminate the possibility of stones. ( By the way, I tend to tell the vet when I want x rays. LOL. They probably think I'm a bit of a pain. ) Are you still seeing blood in her urine?
Barkingdog, sorry about your loss and of course talk about your dog, I think Aide dogs are very special, you must have had a strong bond with it. So sad!
Attached Images

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Kasianni, Silk had hardly a crystal in her urine either but had huge stones, see below.One more was sent away for analysis. The vet didn't find them by palpation. An x ray would be a way to eliminate the possibility of stones. ( By the way, I tend to tell the vet when I want x rays. LOL. They probably think I'm a bit of a pain. ) Are you still seeing blood in her urine?
Barkingdog, sorry about your loss and of course talk about your dog, I think Aide dogs are very special, you must have had a strong bond with it. So sad!
I tell them too when I want x rays hehehe. Mika had one infection last year, had x-rays etc done and there was nothing so this time I thought to wait a few days. They were at the vet 2 weeks ago for annuals etc, cost me 500+. I am not working right now as I just finished my chemo in March so I am watching what I spend. Of course, if anything should arise she will get the vet care she needs, I am just watching things at the moment. I saw the blood on Saturday, yesterday it was clear and today its very very clear pee, I have been making sure she drinks a lot (gave her water but added the water from a can of tuna) and she had been drinking lots to flush things. No blood today or yesterday. Did silk have lots of blood in the urine?? I am not sure now what to do, thinking x-ray might be good but if there is no blood is it necessary??
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Kasianni, my Thorin did the same thing. He was fine, then all of a sudden started peeing blood. We took him in, no infection. He had xrays and had Calcium Oxylate stones in his bladder and one lodge in his tube

He didn't show any signs of pain at all, my poor sweet boy. But the vet said it must have been terrible pain for him. Of course he had to have surgery ASAP. I would opt for the xrays, just to be safe (if, of course, you can afford it). Good luck and I hope your sweet girl is ok!
Okay well now I am freaking out. Sigh. Probably going to take her for an x-ray for peace of mind.
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Silk didn't have much blood, but those big stones I imagine were stopping her from peeing properly, ditto for when she was trying to pass small pieces. She'd have been in agony. This is a Sheltie by the way and the vet told she had got bigger stones out of a Chihuahua. Yikes! It's your decision. I can understand your reluctance when the urine looks so good. Maybe if she has no difficulty in producing a good sized puddle you could take it on a day to day basis. Be careful though, I don't know about your dog but mine love to get bad on weekends when vets are only available at a ridiculous cost.
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Silk didn't have much blood, but those big stones I imagine were stopping her from peeing properly, ditto for when she was trying to pass small pieces. She'd have been in agony. This is a Sheltie by the way and the vet told she had got bigger stones out of a Chihuahua. Yikes! It's your decision. I can understand your reluctance when the urine looks so good. Maybe if she has no difficulty in producing a good sized puddle you could take it on a day to day basis. Be careful though, I don't know about your dog but mine love to get bad on weekends when vets are only available at a ridiculous cost.
Things always happens on weekends don't they lol...My vet is open on Saturdays from 10-3pm and on Sundays for a few hours. Mika is not having any troubles producing huge puddles lately. Because of all she is drinking they are huge lately, is that a good sign?? Yesterday I put a pee pad down in case cause of emergency but she pee'd on the floor poor thing but it was a huge puddle.