Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Unhappy Stubborn Cat

Ok here's the story:

I just decided to adopt my first cat after moving into the big city(Toronto). After cat proofing my apartment and getting all the essential cat stuff i went and adopted a 2 year old male kitty. He supposedly came from a good home and spent very little time in the shelter. In addition he was fixed and all his shots were up to date. So I brought him home to my place and set the carrier down in the living room. Silly me, I should of put him in my bedroom and let that be his safe room. So in the middle of the night i heard some loud scurrying. I immediately woke up and started looking for him. I could not find him, until I noticed a small hole which lead up to a small area above the ceiling( i have no idea how he got up there). the area is very small vertically but very long horizontally. just enough for a cat to get in.

About 300 cm high and 3 meters long....i can barley stick my head in to see him with a flashlight....

I 'm pretty sure he can come down again there are some small platforms he can probably jump down to to come back to the living area.

He's been up there for about 5 days now. I put food and water close as a i can to him (in the living area) but he's not eating or drinking it.

I'm kinda worried he'll starve himself to death out of fear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my kitty is here <= entered here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My living area is down here

Thanks for your help. :sad:

Last edited by nnikol; January 29th, 2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:44 PM
proud to be a cat slave

A cat cannot live for long if it doesn't eat - it develops fatty liver disease. If you absolutely cannot get him down, is there a way to get food and water up where he is?

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Unhappy

I did put some dry food and water up there before i left today and my roommate says he's eaten some of it and drank some water so that's a relief. Of course he's probably doing his toilet stuff up there too I don't know what to do next. I'm afraid if i just leave food and water up there he'll stay up there forever
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM

eeep 5 days is a really long time for a cat. Can you call the shelter where you got him and see if they can help you get him down. If it was the humane society they have all sorts of ways of getting animals out of small spaces etc.. Or try your appartments super, maybe he can cut another hole in the ceiling to get him out, and then of course close them up for you.

Because he's in a new place and you are new to him his nerves have gotten the better of him and he just may not want to come down, I think your going to have to make another hole big enough so you can get to him out.

If you don't want your super to know is there someone you know who has carpentry skills that could cut a hole and then patch it for you.
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM

sorry to repeat I was writing and posted at the same time others did.
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Most shelters or Humane Societys have catchpoles that can be extended.
I would call the shelter you got the cat from,I am sure they will help,not wanting the cat to die up there,which he will.
Chances are he is already weak from not eating and drinking.
As for the super,either way he will not be happy,if the cat should die up there,a hole will still have to be made.Poor kitty:sad:
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Unhappy

The hole option is not possible there are to many places for him to go, I would have to make multiple holes, and I really don't think my landlord would want that and would have to be the last option(plus i don't want to get evicted and the kitty dies). My landlord is not a animal person and he could care less. I guess I could call the human society to see what they suggest.

I got the cat from a private home and they're not willing to help.

I'm gonna grab the most delicious tuna from grocery store to try and lure him out. I'm a nervous wreck i can't do work I just think about my poor kitty.

Are the things like cat pheromones that can lure cats out or am I dreaming in HiDef.

Thanks for your help guys! If anyone knows a master carpenter please tell me that can do the job quietly please tell me .

Last edited by nnikol; January 29th, 2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG nnikol,I don't really know,but I would try with some really smelly food,a can of people-tuna would do,not many cats can resist that.
But don't leave it there,try to entice him down.
If that does not work,you might have to call the shelter and they can get him out with a catchpole,which would probably stress him terribly,but he HAS TO come down.
Please,if you get him down,somehow cover that entrance up. Good Luck
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Unhappy

I called my landlord and the previous foster home. I would be cutting a hole in the ceiling to physically remove him, I don't think my landlord willing to put a hole in the wall to get him out. And I that will probably frighten the heck out of him and will probably go in even deeper not the mention the danger of one of those sharp cutting tools poking him. And he's about ~8 feet (2.5 meters) in and according to the sites I've looked at there's no cat grasper that long that I've seen.

The foster home doesn't know him that well they only had him for a little while.

I tried putting some fancy feast on the platform before i left for work and i came back and it was all dried out on not even one bite eaten.

I really nervous, why wont my kitty come down

Last edited by nnikol; January 29th, 2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typos
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:54 PM
proud to be a cat slave

At least he's eaten something..

Chico had a good suggestion - using smelly food - you could also try a ribbon or something to get him down - with a soft, calming voice. Otherwise, you'll need to call a shelter to get him down - patch up the hole, and take him to the vet to see if he's okay.

Good luck let us know how it goes!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM
What to say, what to say

It might sound rude but, anymore updates? It's such an interesting situation and we wanna help >< Please don't leave us hanging!

Last edited by BusterKitty; February 20th, 2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling...oops
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Has your kitty come out?? Please let us know, we are concerned.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:06 PM
-

We need another update.
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Sorry for the late reply I have been away on business, no has not come down I'm left food out for over 5 days and that has not enticed him to come down. I'm afraid he will starve himself rather than come down for food(i mean how long will a cat hold out until instinct kicks in). I know he can come down my roommate has seen him do it.

The good news is that the old owner is coming over next week to try and coax him out. (FINALLY!) and for now I'm going to try and make him as calm as possible.

Last edited by nnikol; February 26th, 2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:40 PM
What to say, what to say

His old owner? The shelter keeps track? Never knew that!

Poor kitty! Now will the humane society help? He's not eating(is he drinking?!?!?!) so they should consider this an emergency:sad:Why won't he come out ><

Thanks for the update!...even though it was a little sad
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:46 PM

wow please update us when they do.. are you putting the food back up closer where he can eat it now? cats cannot go without food for that long, it can make them seriously ill.. i really hope he is going to be okay
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM

I put the food back up there and he eats like a normal kitty.
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Kitty pimp

man that is onne tough stubborn kitty sonds like having the previous owner may be a good idea i am suprised that he isnt bored out of his mind by now one of the things i tried to coax my girl out was cyprohetradine i got form the vet it is a appetie enhancer and at least woth DU tuned her into a love bug maybe that would work
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:14 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Hi just started reading your post, sorry for your troubles. I do home renovations for a living. from what i can see from your one picture, it isn't a heating duct, it is the spaces between the two floor joices. By the strapping I can see going one way i'm going to assume your ceiling is tongue and groove. If once the owner comes over you still haven't gotten him out, let me know. Screw the landlord, nothing can't be taken apart that can't be put back together. I'm more concerned about the cat at this point. Where abouts in toronto are you, i live in south etobicoke. Keep us posted. Oh by the way, no charge.
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Sedatives are a hugely bad idea!! You do not know his medical history and some cats actually - many in fact - react the opposite to sedation unless it is a very strong one but not knowing his weight and all the facts necessary to administer meds, it's just not wise and could hurt him or worse!! Catnip also is not good- it'll either make him hyper or like many cats, he may nor respond to it at all.

I can't see why someone with the knowledge of the plans for that place- the owners- cannot come and help. If they had the hole, as someone said- they are partially responsible for this problem. I know no new cats should be allowed in a large area and should be in a small area but you are new at this so there is nothing to be gained in asking yourself why - it's done now and you need to concentrate on getting him out and soon!!!

I would not worry about specialization - any cat can be socialized. It is his health - both emotional and physical that is urgent now. If you can get someone with plans to get into the space, someone who understands cats - someone from a rescue group maybe - you may be able to catch him that way? Is there room for a humane trap there. Put some tuna in it and a warm blanket - all things that will draw him to it and then let it do its work and then just go and get the trap and him - and let him out in a VERY small area where it is just him and you. Like a bathroom or a closet even. Cats- especially scared one- live small spaces- and he possibly had a hidey hole before where he could go so he had to find another one.

I pray he is eating and drinking because otherwise- after 4 days- you will have one sick cat who could have severe kidney and liver illness. I would place lots of food all over the place up there and even if you cold put it one place and gradually keep moving it til it is closer to where he has to come out. Is that at all possible? Do YOU know what it looks like up there? Can you sit down with someone to formulate a plan.

Recall the young cat (kitten) who got stuck in the down some drain in NYC (or some other large city). A snake type light with a videocam was inserted and they could see the kitten. Is that a possibility - can city hall or city workers help? If you know someone there or know someone who does or even someone at a hardware store with one of these machines, you cod try that and at least see that he is OK.

I once had a feral someone had brought to me in a burlap bag (Their parent was going to drown the poor animal and she wanted help from me even tho I was a teenager at the time.) I was young and foolish enough to let the kitty out - even with experience with ferals (It was not one of my swifter days, lol) but I shut the door quickly and the cat literally was bouncing off the walls. He sound a place underneath a couch or chesterfeld that was almost impossible to get at without taking it apart and even then one had to be prepped to have a net or trap for the cat. So we took it apart - it was in a "rec" room so I figured the name was appropriate and extremely apt because it was pretty wrecked after it all, lol

I had people to help though and we turned the couch over and could see the cat and he was hanging on with his claws for dear life (poor baby!) - my guess is he knew what the girl's father had in mind and did not see us in any better way. Cats are VERY smart animals! Finally, we opted to put fod under the couch and let him come out when he was good and ready. We played soft music, talked to him and that is often the case with ferals anyway- it can take 2 weeks to a month or sometimes longer for them to adjust to the new surroun=dings. Of course, the couch would have to go after this - he was doing his thing there but we inserted a small litter box with earth because that is what he knew - and he did use it after awhile, once he figured out no one was hurting him. We would put string there (and hold it so as not to loose it and have him swallow it and have another medical emergency). I believe it took 3 weeks but he did finally come out on his own terms and got to know us but it was not easy. We had to keep all the other critters out so that's also important. Just soft music, no scary stuff or noises, we did not have any Rescue remedy in those days , never mind Feliway. What about a feliway diffuser? Would that help in your situation or did I read that?

Anyway -I would try to see him, keep feeding him ad make certain he is receiving food and water and has litter and even toys. let him come out on his own accord and all can work out. If you pull him out, he may associate the trauma of that with you - making it difficult to built up a relationship. of course, you could have someone from a rescue group (There are so many are here not in the Toronto area???) Surely to God someone can assist you!!!!!

Good luck - these are just the thoughts off the top of my head after seeing this for the 1st time. What does the Humane Society say about his background and health? Was he ever feral? Did he suffer some trauma and that is why he is hiding - though it is not uncommon for cats to find little hidey holes. I have read of cats staying in some for for months! But when it is necessary for heath reasons, you may have to get someone to get him out of there. And some way that does not scare him or hurt him!!!!!!!

Good luck!!!!

Oh and cats are not stubbiorn in the anthropomorphic way we think - they act like well, cats- he is a scared kitty who need helps and love!!!! Blink at him, do not stare and give him food, toys and most of all , love!!!

Last edited by CyberKitten; February 27th, 2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:31 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I went back and looked at the pictures again. Are you sure it.s not drywall, from the one picture i don't see any wood. Anyway, whatever it is it's screwed in, you can see the screw in the picture of the cat. Oh if you're really concerned about the landlord, I can give you a couple of things to tell him. 1. If the ceiling isn't drywall(firerated) then it is not building code approved. hmmm illegal. 2. If you don't have two doors to get to the outside in your apt. It's an illegal bsmt apt. If he threatens to boot you out, threaten to report him. your inconvenience, he gets very large fines. Wanna bet he backs off.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnikol View Post
I put the food back up there and he eats like a normal kitty.
I saw your post today, I am pretty bit late, but anyway, let me suggest you something.

Put the food at which he got used in your room one day, when nobody is home, and don't be surprised to see him come down and eat it. I strongly believe that he comes down when he is alone, but from some reason he is afraid of you. Maybe he had some bad experience with people, who knows?

Many years ago, a cat moved into my house, attracted by my cats who had their own door and could freely walk around (later on they became indoor cats), and their food which was freely accessible at that time. She was spending her time under one bed when we were at home, until one day she had to go out (to pee I suppose). When she finished what she had to, she normally came back to the room and went under "her" bed. Many days passed until she encouraged herself to get on the bed, but as far from us as possible. Next month I spent trying to approach her and finally she allowed me to touch her!

Long story, I am sorry for that, but that's why I think what I said. Don't worry, I am certain he'll be all right.

Best wishes to you and sweet little from Deda
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree 100% with danaekitties sentiments and frustration.

I'm sure u must be frustrated too, but at what point is enough enough?
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
What to say, what to say

Deda Brada:
We have suggested that already and nnikol has already tried that. It would've been a chore to read through however many pages of suggestions hereThanks anyway! x)
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:37 PM

scared cat

That cat will come down as soon as it feel safe no worries .hope ya good luck