Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:53 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

*Sigh* Sweet Pea

As some of you know I do babysit my grandkitties every once in a while (krazy4kitten's kitties). They are wonderful, sweet kitties, who like 3 of my kitties wouldn't hurt a soul.

But then there is Sweet Pea, aka, Sour Pea, because she will tear after and fight Puddles and new kitties.

This week I have my grandkitties and as you can imagine having 6 kitties in the house that have different feeding requirements is hard enough, but to have one cat that is constantly beating up the others can add so much stress on my little grandkitties.

I am currently keeping Sweet Pea locked up all day in our bedroom (normal routine because Puddles gets run of the house all day and they switch at night), but we are able to supervise SP and Puddles when we are home, we can't supervise Sweet Pea and 3 cats though.

Any suggestions on how I can make this easier on the kitties, and please, honest opinions are appreciated.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I have the exact same issue when I watch DD's cat. I must keep them separated from her. For whatever reason Blu hates her and attacks her for no reason.
I would keep the visitors locked up together in a room and let SP out and about.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I have the exact same issue when I watch DD's cat. I must keep them separated from her. For whatever reason Blu hates her and attacks her for no reason.
I would keep the visitors locked up together in a room and let SP out and about.
That's what I am doing. When Puddles gets locked up, so do the grandkitties.

I have 5 cats here all living in harmony, but there is just that one evil one that makes it miserable for all. Jasper gets so stressed when Sweet Pea starts fights.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I have 5 cats here all living in harmony, but there is just that one evil one that makes it miserable for all. Jasper gets so stressed when Sweet Pea starts fights.
Oh I can sooo relate!
Sorry I have no suggestions. Hopefully someone else with more experience can give you an idea.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh no,you cannot stress out sweet Jasper
I would do what you're doing,keeping the temporary kitties seperated in a room,but I know just the fact they are in the house can set off your own cat and she will go for the closest victim.

I had a stray once downstairs,but his meowing drove Rocky bonkers..
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Oh no,you cannot stress out sweet Jasper
I would do what you're doing,keeping the temporary kitties seperated in a room,but I know just the fact they are in the house can set off your own cat and she will go for the closest victim.

I had a stray once downstairs,but his meowing drove Rocky bonkers..
Thanks chico and that is exactly what SP is doing. The grandkitties are set up in my spare bedroom and when SP gets close to the room, she starts hissing and gets mad at any kitty that is close to her .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 5th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Catlover2

Aaah dear beautiful "Sweet Pea" or should I say "Sour Pea".

Yes, unfortunately, there are these S***t Disturbers that upset the tranquility of a house. I think what you're dong is the best solution by keeping kitties separated from her. I would go a little further when she goes to their door and growls and hisses. I would go after her with a stern "No!" and stamp my feet as I walked toward her. This tells her that you disapprove of her bully behaviour. Have had bully cats before, and found it works for me. On the other hand, most of it is jealousy, and I would give SP some extra one-on-one cuddling, and lavish praise on her when she is being a good girl.
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ooooppss, sorry mf. I saw this last week and forgot to say anything.
Sour Pea - stop being a brat!!
But then again - is she really being a brat? She just wants "her" house to run smoothly. She sees bringing in those outsiders as her house being in an uproar. She hates it.
The best thing you can do is to keep them separated. The grandkitties are fine in the spare room. If they had gone to a boarding facility while your daughter was gone they would have been in a small crate most likely. The bedroom is lots big enough. No need to feel guilty.
Sour Pea is just doing all things cat. You should see the swats going on in the Catuary when someone new drops in (literally). DD will be home soon enough.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Doggie Wench

Are you using any pheromone difusers? Maybe it might help a bit ?

How long are you kittysitting for?
Old April 5th, 2011, 12:56 PM

I have the same issue with Jasmine (when she's healthy). She becomes demonic around other cats lol but angelic around humans .

I'd have to agree with everyone that the best thing to do is to keep them separated. I found that as long as there is little action then Jasmine is okay at a verrrry far distance from the others. But if someone moves, all hell breaks lose.
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for everybody's suggestions. The grandkitties are just so good, I was hoping that they could run free.

Well, that's what I am doing, keeping them separated. The grandkitties get run of the house while Sweet Pea is locked up in our bedroom during the day and they have to get locked up at night when Sweet Pea has run of the house.

LP, no I am not using any diffusors, I think I need one for myself . OK maybe just a stiff drink. .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 5th, 2011, 01:37 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Thanks for everybody's suggestions. The grandkitties are just so good, I was hoping that they could run free.

Well, that's what I am doing, keeping them separated. The grandkitties get run of the house while Sweet Pea is locked up in our bedroom during the day and they have to get locked up at night when Sweet Pea has run of the house.

LP, no I am not using any diffusors, I think I need one for myself . OK maybe just a stiff drink. .
There always has to be one rotten apple in the bushel. Just laws of nature. The newest drop in is causing some riffs with my guys too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Just a quick update:

All is well. For the most part Pandora stays out of Sweet Pea's way, there has been some hissing from SP when they meet each other, but Pandora doesn't respond, so SP goes on her merry way. This is very similar to how Rose reacted to SP when they were first introduced. Puddles, on the other hand, will hiss and growl back at SP, getting SP in an aggressive mood.

Ginger is much too timid to come out of the bedroom, poor Jasper keeps going in there, only to get hissed at so he leaves.

Here is a pic of Jasper and Pandora. Jaspers worse problem is that he has a tendency to get too close for comfort for some kitties.
Name:  p&j.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  42.2 KB

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 9th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
There always has to be one rotten apple in the bushel. Just laws of nature. The newest drop in is causing some riffs with my guys too.
I love watching the kittys' reaction to each over, especially Rose who comes from a feral colony.

When Rose came to live here, she was very submissive to Jasper, Puddles and Sweet Pea, almost like saying: "I know this is your house, so I will mind my own business and let you guys rule." However, with Pandora, who is a real sweet heart, seems to be taking on Rose's attitude, not wanting to cause any ruffled feathers, but Rose has taken on "This is my house, you can eat when I am good and ready to let you eat". Rose has growled at Pandora when Pandora has gotten too close to Rose while she was eating. That is normally what SP would do to Rose.

When I first got Rose, she would hide her toys in a corner of the room, very possessive of them and she still is with Pandora. When Pandora goes near Rose's toy box, Rose will run over and lie with her toys. And of course, Rose will be giving Pandora the evil eye.
Name:  r&P.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  54.8 KB

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old May 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
\OK maybe just a stiff drink. .
There you go. That should calm them down.

Oh I see you meant yourself.

Yes I'm kidding. Please no one do this (to the cats...as for yourself...well...)

All I can suggest is keeping the house as calm as possible for your kitties otherwise. Maybe give the sourpus more attention and play around with him more.

Some cats just DON'T like other cats in their house and all you can do is try to make them more comfortable in other ways. I don't know anything about the pheromone diffuser, but it sounds like something that's worth a try. Or maybe other scenty things that your cat likes (how do you determine what a cat likes to smell? . Maybe a chicken scented wall plug-in? )