Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old April 6th, 2010, 06:58 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Hobo has Vestibular Disease...can't/won't eat :(

Wow, I remember when Ginger had this 2.5yrs ago and again this time I have spoken to people who have had dogs all their lives and have never heard of this. I have had two dogs in my life and both have had it

This is an awful thing to watch...poor little pooch's crooked head, bouncing eyes, swaying back and forth, falling over when he shakes.

He has not eaten since Thursday but is managing to drink water and actually keep some down. Last night he finally started fighting back when I was trying to pill him his Gravol...that is much more his personalitly I started giving him some squirts of Pedialyte just to keep his electrolytes steady.

He sleeps a lot and can't sit up for very long and is very unsteady when he walks. I am hoping that in the next 24hrs he will actually start eating again. I believe he is hungry but when you bring the food to his mouth he turns his head away, as if the smell alone makes him nauseous.

We are encouraged as Ginger did have this too and despite having a very acute case did come back from it so we are hoping and praying that Hobo will come around too.
Attached Images

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor little guy. My sister's dog had it and she went through the same thing, trying to get him to eat. He wasn't much on eating at the best of times. Sis's Vet told her it typically lasts 4 to 6 weeks and that recovery is as sudden as onset and sure enough, in 4 weeks Laddie just stood up and walked again. In the meantime Sis had put her back out lifting a 45 lb. dog up to carry him outside to bathroom. Laddie made a full recovery with only a tiny bit of head tilt remaining and even that diminished. Good wishes to you and Hobo.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:06 AM

Thank you so much Longblades. I am happy to hear your sis' dog recovered and hope she regained her appetite. I completely understand your sister's back concerns. I have been feeling the effects myself the last few days but what are you gonna do, eh??? The poor pooch needs to get out and really can't walk yet

you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:14 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Poor Hobo. So strange that both your pooches have it. Makes you wonder if it's environmental or something. TT still has a bit of a head tilt but if that is what he had it never developed to the not walking at all part. He staggered a lot and fell over when he shook his head but

Sending lots of to the little sweetie. I hope he recovers quickly.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor little guy. Is it the medication that takes away his appetite? I'm sorry he's sick, but it sounds like this is something he can recover from, it just takes a little time. I'm sure he'll be back to his usual self in no time.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Poor Hobo!!!

for his appetite coming back today and for a quick recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 6th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Live well, laugh often

Lucy just had her second bout of this a few weeks ago . Her first one was back in November.

If you have some pepcid around I would definately get some of that into him to help with some of the nausea. I do a lot of homeopathic stuff with Lucy as well so I administered arnica (for inflamation) and nux vomica (nausea) which really seemed to help her.

When it happened this time we were away and my mom was looking after her and she wouldn't eat and couldn't stand/move. I drove home that day to see her and was sure to stop at McDonalds and pick up a few plain hamburgers. She was happy to scarf those down as long as she was handfed. Apparently there is something about the fast food hamburgers that dogs love . I took her back with us on holiday to look after and she had improvement in the first 24 hours and noticeable improvement after 48 hours.

She did better after she was fed and we continued to hand feed for about 3 days until she could mostly work around her bowl (with some help). She was back doing a short staggering walk around the parking lot after 3 days and walking short (still wobbly) walks after 5 days. We have just passed the three week mark and she is about 90% of her regular. That is similar to last time ... the final improvements took about another month.

Hope Hobo feels better fast .
Old April 6th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Live well, laugh often

I've also heard lately that there is a connection with low thyroid and vestibular so you might want to check that out .
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Doggie Wench

Get better real soon Hobo .

It must be so hard on you to watch him like that, D&P. I'm so sorry you all have to go through this .
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

get better soon little one, for him, brenda and the pins.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:40 PM
-

I am so sorry diandpat poor little Hobo

I'm guessing you already tried this but ... hand feeding him chicken or ground beef ? With the help of Gravol of course.

Speedy recovery Hobo
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:00 AM

Speedy recovery Hobo!! for you diandpat

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
I've also heard lately that there is a connection with low thyroid and vestibular so you might want to check that out .
I had not read that...will ask the vet about it on Monday too. Thanks!

you to stay" ♥ ♥

Old April 9th, 2010, 01:33 PM
-

Glad to hear that Hobo is doing better physically

I hope his appetite will pick up soon.

Ther is some info regarding vestibluar and hypothyroidism on this website ....

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad you're seeing improvement, diandpat! Yay!

Now start eating, Hobo!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM

Wow, what a difference a day makes After having no success whatsoever between 6-7ish this a.m. he actually ate some of the boiled buffalo meet at noonish. I took him for a very short walk at 1 and when we came back he gobbled the remaining buffalo meat, a tiny piece of pig's ear, an egg yolk and two handfuls of kibble

At 4 when I was preparing dinner for the rest of the zoo his head popped up from his bed and nose was in the air. He ate, nay, devoured another handful of his kibble. So far nothing has come up but nothing has come out either so we are cautiously optimistic.

His movement has steadily improved throughout the day too. He is going to the back door to go out (he has had many "pee accidents" in the house this last week ) He is insisting on doing the stairs himself.

For anyone who has googled VD and ended up on this thread, don't give up. It really is a brutal disease to watch but it honestly does get better as suddenly as it came on. We know it could be weeks before he is 100% from our experience with Ginger. She still has her head tilt and does not seem to notice. Every indication is that Hobo is not prepared to surrender either

Thanks again to the members of the board who kept my little munchkin in their thougths and to Teri and Rainbow for the info on thyroidism. I will ask the vet on Monday.

Hopefully it will be all A OK from here. We love him so much

For anyone dealing with this You and your pooch will get through it!

you to stay" ♥ ♥