Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM

13 week old Dobe urinating too often?

Hello...this is my first post on thie forum, and I really need some advice. We have two thirteen week old pups: Tulkas (male doberman) and Honey (female golden/lab mix). We adopted them from a shelter when they were 7 weeks. Since then, we've managed to get to a great place in terms of their house training, even after Tulkas had a UTI (diagnosed/treated by our vet). He recovered nicely at about 9 weeks old, but after a couple weeks, my husband and I took him back to the vet because he seemed to be urinating too frequently (about every 15 minutes). His urinalysis came out negative, and the vet advised us to stop feeding him Innova Puppy, as she felt that might be causing his frequent urination and a loose stool. I was a little frustrated when she said she prefers what seems to be a much lower quality -grocery store food, but in the past few days we've decided to switch the puppies over to California natural to see if perhaps his system will respond better. We're doing it gradually and today was the first day. He gets water with meals and after lots of play or exercise, but I do not leave it for grazing.

Tulkas is still urinating very, very often. He's not going EVERY 15 minutes, but we take him out after play, eating, crate time... He has these strange periods of time during the day (not consistent) when he has to go every ten minutes, and he can barely make it to the door. Often when that happens he'll leave a trail of pee so I know that he's trying and that he knows to go outside. He just cant hold it. The urine is clear. When we catch him doing it we interrupt and take him outside and then when he finishes we reward him. He also goes on command every single time we take him out. He does not often pee in his crate, and can actually sleep through the night (7 hours). Whenever he whines at night, we take him out...though he has not done so in a long, long time.

He's a really healthy, sweet, smart little guy and I'm concerned that there is something wrong with him. My vet is not terribly responsive, so I'm hoping some help from the forum here will make my life easier...and his.

Marking territory?
Diabetes?
Kidney issues?
Any thoughts are very appreciated!
PS Honey is just about fully housetrained. She's in very good health and we love her to pieces!
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
-

I really don't think he's marking. This really sounds like he's still has the UTI or maybe he has something else. I would go to a different vet , asking you to switch to a lower quality food instead of having other tests done is pretty weird coming from a vet. IMO.

Good luck with your little one
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

There's definitely something going on...so another vet visit is in order. It could be something like diabetes, but it might also be behavioral. Do you notice him drinking more often than Honey?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Geek Club CEO

I would be asking for another U/A and some bloodwork to check his kidney functions.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)