Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM

Kitty has open sore on her butt

I just noticed tonight that my kitty has an open sore on her bottom, completely separate from her anus. She is acting perfectly normal as far as I can see, purring when I pet her and licking me like usual. I have not been home today to see how she's eating/drinking. I probably can't get her to the vet until Tuesday as tomorrow is Labor Day... anybody have any idea? I lost my first animal(my dog) almost a year ago and I get so paranoid now when I notice something abnormal on my animals!
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
-

Is it possible that she has the cat version of a dog's hotspot ? Have you noticed her licking or biting at her behind in the last few days? Checked her for fleas and ticks? If you have a cone (Ecollar), you might want to put that on her so that if it is self-inflicted she doesn't continue to lick/bite the area.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:20 PM

I honestly haven't noticed but it is a possibility. She is eating and drinking tonight. She has also been sneezing throughout the day...
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:04 AM
-

Well, if sneezing is unusual for her, you might want to think in the direction of environmental allergens.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:22 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

My male cat just got over a absessed anal glad! same symptoms..has yours tried to scoot their bum on the floor? For my boy they gave me antibiotics and they had to coderize (spelling??) his bum! He did have to have anesthesia for this.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:31 PM

Cat fight

In my limited experience as a non professional, I would make a guess that your cat may have been in a fight. Cat's claws are notoriously dirty and it is not uncommon for them to get a swipe at the behind of their enemy. My cat had a few of these abcesses. A couple of them needed antibiotic ointment and the silly collar.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:14 PM

Hmmm, I'm with Cindy. Could it be an abcessed anal gland? Can you at least get to a drug store for some betadine? Soak a cotton ball with it and hold it against the sore spot for a few seconds. Do it several times today if you can. It doesn't sting and is a mild antiseptic. Betadine does stain, so be careful. Good luck!
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

You may be lucky to have caught it in time if it is the anal gland! Maybe some antibiotics will do the trick...Have the stools changed?? because when the stool is loose or soft the anal glands dont release then become infected etc..

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM

She has not been scooting her bum around or anything unusual like that. She is still acting normal aside from her sneezing(which she does not usually do). I called an emergency vet this morning and they said unless she started to act lethargic and stop eating then I should be okay until tomorrow morning. It would've been pretty expensive to get her in there today too, $75 just for the initial visit! I am going to be heading to the drug store to get some of the betadine shortly. Also, we have another kitty and they share the litter box so I am not sure which stools are hers unless I catch her right after. Thank you so much for all of your replies! She will be going to our vet first thing in the morning and I will keep you all updated!
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Just a quick update as I have to get to work - I just brought my baby home from the vet and he said that she had a ruptured anal gland which is pretty uncommon in cats. Her sneezing is something totally separate which is just a virus she has caught. Her gave her a shot of antibiotics and a shot of vitamin A & D to help boost her immune system. He also sent us home with some antibiotics. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:31 AM
-

Ouch! For my own education, does that mean you will have to keep an eye on them in the future and express them manually if needed? Did your Vet suggest a change in diet to firm up her stool so that the glands will naturally evacuate?
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdo86 View Post
Just a quick update as I have to get to work - I just brought my baby home from the vet and he said that she had a ruptured anal gland which is pretty uncommon in cats. Her sneezing is something totally separate which is just a virus she has caught. Her gave her a shot of antibiotics and a shot of vitamin A & D to help boost her immune system. He also sent us home with some antibiotics. Thanks everyone for your help!
Pubert had the exact same thing, a hole in his bum but not his bum, turned out to be a ruptured anal gland, knocked him out, cleaned it out, shaved his bum, gave him antibiotics and it hasn't happened since.

The worse part of it was it happened on the morning my my stagete...which I couldn't miss, so every few hour my sober friends would go check on him!! ah!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Mummummum, I don't think it's necessary to keep watch for it specifically. I think we all tend to watch out for "out of the ordinary" things with our furkids, especially if there has been a past problem. Only one of my cats has ever had a problem with his glands. It happened twice in 13 years (so far) and both times to the same gland.

I can't imagine having to express a cat's anal glands Dogs are bad enough

Good luck kdo86. I'm sure by this time next week everything will be back to normal with your baby!