Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old April 25th, 2011, 11:28 AM

klmcallum - RAW files basically save more information that a JPEG. You can sometimes retrieve stuff off of a RAW file that you couldn't get off a JPEG. The drawbacks are that RAW files take more space on your memory card and computer, and fill the buffer of your camera faster when shooting action scenes. That means your camera slows down until the buffer empties and has room again. Plus, if you don't like the editing software that came with your camera, whatever software you buy has to be compatible with your camera's version of RAW.
Hazel - I really like your pictures of the titmouse it looks like a tiny gray jay. Is it as small as the pictures make it seem or is it closer to blue jay size? (I've neer seen one and I'm curious.)
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:36 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They're quite small, obc--a little larger than a chickadee but not as big as a cardinal by far! A chickadee runs about 4.5 inches, a tuftie about 5 inches and a cardinal just shy of 8 inches. Blue jays are another 2 inches longer than a cardinal. So tufties are pretty small.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'd love to have a little flock of light pink finches around, but sadly they stand out like sore thumbs among the other birds. I think this guy might've gotten nailed by the hawk yesterday. I haven't seen him today and there was a small clump of suspiciously white feathers down by the fence this morning.
Well, the one I had the picture of either is still around or has a very similar brother--I saw him again this afternoon after an absence of a couple days Not sure what the white feathers were from, but Pink Bird is very definitely still around

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,I am happy to read that,maybe we'll get some more pics

One year,I had this beautiful green and gold bird,about the size of a Cardinal,I admired him every day,until one day a Kestrel got him,I was honestly crying looking at the greenish feathers left behind..
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:52 PM
You can call me DOG!

Question Feeder cleaning question....

I would like to clean out my winter feeder but not sure which is the best approach.

Should I bring it inside and soak in hot water then rinse or just hose it down with a jet pressure from the hose?

I'm assuming I shouldn't use any kind of detergents but could I use a ratio of bleach with water?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

What kind of feeder, klm? And what's it made from?

For regular cleaning, I'll soak feeders for about 5 minutes in a weak solution of bleach (maybe a TBSP to a gallon of water), then rinse thoroughly. If it's a wood feeder, I'll soak it in fresh water for another 5 minutes as the 'rinse cycle'; if it's plastic/metal, I just make sure I've rinsed all the surfaces well under the tap. Some of my feeders can be dismantled, so I soak the individual pieces in the bleach solution, then rinse, dry and reassemble.

If the feeders were really groaty, I'll soak in the bleach solution, rinse, use a bottle brush or toothbrush to clean off the grunge, then soak in the bleach solution one more time before the final rinse.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
You can call me DOG!

Thank you Hazel!

My feeder is all plastic but it is kinda groaty.

I just brought it in from the rain so I'l clean, soak and let it dry inside over night then fill with food in the morning.

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old May 7th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel I went to a large plant sale today here at our Botanical Gardens and was so pleased when I walked up to a large crowd of people. The area was cordoned off and there was a big sign saying nesting bird! I walked over and had never seen this type before. It was a killdear and she nested right on the gravel road. At 8am this morning 2 chicks hatched. She was just sitting there with hundreds and hundreds of people around! I didnt have my camrea but here is what she looked like...nice looking bird!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, wow, I went to a plant sale, too--at a local nature reserve. Not many birds moving there, either, but I did see a chestnut-sided warbler, a palm warbler, some yellow-rumped warblers and a northern waterthrush on the grounds!

I love killdeer!!! And the babies are just adorable! They look like they're made from pom-poms!

Old May 7th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Wow I had never seen one before. Didnt even know they were in this area? Babies were like pom poms! now that you say that!

Plant sale was huge! Hazel did you get anything good? I bought some different stuff a mini Shasta Daisy, Sugae Blue Iris, Strawberry Candy Day Lily, Edge of Darkness Daylily, and Jack and the Pulput.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 7th, 2011, 01:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I got two swamp milkweeds, two wild blue indigo and a hoary vervain. I have a whole whack of seed to plant this year, though, so I just kept it to those 5.

Then I came home and saw a red-headed woodpecker on one of the dead popple trees by the easement Haven't seen one of those in ages!

Old May 7th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel they look cool! I had to google them cause I dont know names very well...one looks like an Echinecha
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old May 7th, 2011, 06:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We have a red-headed woodpecker in the neighborhood!!! I hope there's two and they stick around for a nest If the yellow-bellied sapsuckers do, too, we'll have 6 species of woodpeckers nesting here this year!

Old May 7th, 2011, 09:25 PM
You can call me DOG!

We have Killdears all around the industrial park where I work. If you walk too close to their nest which are always on paved/gravel parking lots, the Momma will pretend she's injured to lure you away from the nest.

We normally don't disturb them and have never ventured close enough to a nest. They are a very interesting species.

Old May 8th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

What a pretty bird,I've never seen one before,it's a good thing the store let them be and put up a sign.
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Saturday I saw a new (to me) bird. It was a black-throated blue warbler. Really pretty blue colour on top, black face and throat white bars on the wings and white belly. About the same size as the chickadees it was foraging near.
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We used to see those up north, obc! They're beautiful!!!!! Lucky you!

Old May 15th, 2011, 12:11 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I have a whole whack 'o' bird pics ready, but only time to post one tonight.

Here's a better pic of Mr Pink Finch, the leucistic purple finch, who was obliging enough to come pose while I was in the blind this afternoon

Name:  Leusistic purple finch 5-14-11 A.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  56.2 KB

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Here's a male purple finch with normal coloration for comparison

Name:  Purple finch 5-12-11 B.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  106.5 KB

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Indigo bunting

Name:  Indigo bunting 5-12-11 H.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  67.2 KB

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

American goldfinch

Name:  American goldfinch 5-12-11 D.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  48.2 KB

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

American robin

Name:  American robin 5-9-11 A.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  62.3 KB

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Baltimore oriole

Name:  Baltimore oriole 5-9-11 C.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  83.1 KB

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yellow-rumped (myrtle variety) warbler

Name:  Yellow-rumped warbler 5-5-11 B.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  101.6 KB

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Magnolia warbler

Name:  Magnolia warbler 5-9-11 A.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  93.1 KB

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

White-throated sparrow

Name:  White-throated sparrow 5-5-11 B.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  51.7 KB

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A couple of bad pics of a scarlet tanager--I'd never had one come down out of the trees and get close enough to take a pic of and I got so excited, I blew the focus... *sigh*

Name:  Scarlet tanager 5-12-11 A.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  Scarlet tanager 5-12-11 C.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  75.8 KB

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ruby-throated hummingbird

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird 5-11-11 E.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  48.6 KB

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Rose-breasted grosbeak
Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak 5-6-11 E.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  52.0 KB

This fella almost escaped off-frame, but I liked the way the pic showed the underwing pattern so I kept it.

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak abstract 5-6-11.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  41.4 KB

Old May 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Wow, Hazel, those are nice pictures! You get a lot of species. Focusing in amongst the branches isn't easy. Autofocus always picks the branch instead of the bird and by the time you convince it that YES, I do want to focus on the bird, the bird is gone