Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 29th, 2012, 02:22 PM

Unhappy Small, firm lump on the outside of her ribcage?

Hi there,

I'm concerned about my Yorkie (who's about 8 years old). I noticed this small lump about 3 months ago, I know it wasn't there before that. I have noticed that in this last month of June, that it has gotten a bit bigger in size. It doesn't seem painful to her, she doesn't mind me touching it. It's firm, not flubbery feeling. It's on the left side of her ribs, on the outside. When I see if it moves around, it doesn't. It feels like it's pretty firmly planted there.

I can afford to get her checked out, but money is pretty tight right now and I need it for school bills + such. Has anyone experienced this before with their dog, or could possibly shed some light on this at all?

It would be so greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!

(Happy Canada day weekend everyone! )
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Hi there,

I'm concerned about my Yorkie (who's about 8 years old). I noticed this small lump about 3 months ago, I know it wasn't there before that. I have noticed that in this last month of June, that it has gotten a bit bigger in size. It doesn't seem painful to her, she doesn't mind me touching it. It's firm, not flubbery feeling. It's on the left side of her ribs, on the outside. When I see if it moves around, it doesn't. It feels like it's pretty firmly planted there.

I can afford to get her checked out, but money is pretty tight right now and I need it for school bills + such. Has anyone experienced this before with their dog, or could possibly shed some light on this at all?

It would be so greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!

(Happy Canada day weekend everyone! )
My daughter's dog had lumps like that on her body but money is tight for her famliy too and they did not bring the dog to the vet . She was told it was tumors, the dog lived to be 14 yo .The dog started to have blood in her poop and was not able to walk any more and had to be put down. Would you be able to afford the treatments or surgery if you had the lump check out?
Old June 29th, 2012, 06:43 PM

Every single lump is different. Someone here might have had a dog with a lump and have experience with lumps but it does not mean its the same situation for your dog. In my opinion, I'd take her for a check up but that's just me, and what I would do, even if money was tight. Its only for a check up. You don't have to go further than that, but have it looked at. Might be fatty tissue, but in my experience, fatty tissue moves, and does not feel attached to anything. I know you said money is tight but the vet might just tell you its nothing and not to worry about it. You won't know unless you bring your dog to the vet.
Old July 6th, 2012, 03:12 AM

True enough, alright thanks.
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:27 AM

I don't have any experience with dogs, but I'm just starting my experience with lumps and bumps. GO TO THE VET! I can't possibly stress this enough. And insist for him to aspirate it. If it's filled with fluid, your puppy is probably okay. But a hard lump - I don't want to scare you - but it could be cancer. I'm not a vet, I'm just speaking from experience. My cat had a lump on his jaw that the vet biopsied back in March and said it was a bone infection. He didn't go deep enough. Turns out, that lump was cancer. If it was caught early enough, my cat would have had a fighting chance. But, I'm afraid it is now too far along.

I don't want any other pet guardian to go through what I'm going through now. If you can afford it, get him to the vet. Trust me, it's better safe than sorry.

Good luck, good thoughts, and giant hugs for you and your dog!
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandajo View Post
I don't have any experience with dogs, but I'm just starting my experience with lumps and bumps. GO TO THE VET! I can't possibly stress this enough. And insist for him to aspirate it. If it's filled with fluid, your puppy is probably okay. But a hard lump - I don't want to scare you - but it could be cancer. I'm not a vet, I'm just speaking from experience. My cat had a lump on his jaw that the vet biopsied back in March and said it was a bone infection. He didn't go deep enough. Turns out, that lump was cancer. If it was caught early enough, my cat would have had a fighting chance. But, I'm afraid it is now too far along.

I don't want any other pet guardian to go through what I'm going through now. If you can afford it, get him to the vet. Trust me, it's better safe than sorry.

Good luck, good thoughts, and giant hugs for you and your dog!
I am sooo sorry to hear about your cat.