Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 29th, 2012, 11:14 AM

Walking the Dog

I have been wondering for a while how long I should be walking my dog. She is a Dachshund/Schnauzer mix and after she got fixed she has more energy. Usually I walk her for around 20 mins each day, the other day I took her for a really long walk and she was wiped out it was 50 mins I think but after her little power nap she was ready to go again. Should I be taking her for a walk for an hour each day or ?
Old November 29th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

If your dog seem to be enjoying herself on a long walk and not acting too tried
during it a 50 minutes walk would be fine. I would try to take her two half hour walks so she can take her business if you do not have a yard she can use. My dog Marty is small and a he is tried after a 30 min. walk but he has bronchitis
and get SOB very easy.
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:01 PM

I will try two 30 minute walks, hopefully it will help. She's still young so I know she has a lot of energy, I will just have to get used to walking more. It will be better for me too.
Old November 29th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you have a fenced yard you can play with her in? Certainly for a young dog half an hour a day is probably not enough. I agree that maybe two half hour walks is better. My dog gets half an hour in the morning with me, than hubby takes her out for an hour during the day, and then I take her out again at night for another half hour or 40 minutes depending on the weather. My girl is old now, but this has always been our pattern. We will need to adjust that some when we get (hopefully) our puppy early next year as very young puppies cannot take such long walks.
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:02 PM

Not at the moment, hopefully soon I will be moving and it will have a large fenced in yard for her to play in. I tried the two 30 min walks out and I will see how she is later on, I just have no idea where to walk. I live out in the country at the moment and ended up walking in the ditch for most of it which really killed my knees. I don't feel safe walking on the road since people are going fast and some don't even go around. Any help there?
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Are there any trails you can walk your puppy saftey ? A puppy playground would help your puppy burn up some energy and she would learn doggies skills too. Marty went a to doggie playgroup and it helped him get better doggie skills. I hope you'll be able to find a house with a fenced in yard , that would be great.
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:30 AM

I am going to try different roads to see what ones are safer. She has been better, I noticed last night that she wasn't so hyper. As for anything along the sorts of puppy playgrounds, I am unable to drive so I wouldn't be able to take her there which sucks. (Which is another reason why we are moving)
Old November 30th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Make sure you carry a strong flashlight with you when you walk the roads in the dark. I carry one all the time when I walk Halo (morning and night when it's dark). I'm sure the extra walk time will help with the pup, but it's tough if it's hurting your knees.
Old November 30th, 2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks, she likes the walking at least I hope anyways. She more relaxed it seems not so all over me. I don't think walking out in the country will be a problem for too long once we move then it will be nice sidewalks just need to bare it for a bit.
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:28 PM

Many people walk their dog regularly, but find it to be such a chore. In most cases, learning how to walk a dog on a leash can make it enjoyable for the dog and owner. More often than not, the dog is in charge - pulling, stopping, sniffing, and peeing, at will.
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I see this post is two months old, but

How old is she?

A rule of thumb for walking puppies is: 5 minutes per months of age allowed twice a day of forced exercise. Forced is anything on leash, on a hard surface in a straight line or compelled to keep up to you. Obviously by a year old an hour is permissable.

The rule also says free play off leash on a soft surface is unlimited as puppy can change speed, direction, even lie down and rest when she wants.

The goal is to avoid repetitive strain on young joints that are not yet solid.

I have a Lab, I followed this loosely. With a long backed breed I would be more careful, does she look more Doxie or Schaunzer?

I do note that you took her from 20 minutes to 50 in one fell swoop. An athlete building up endurance/distance would not more than double their exercise all at once, they'd gradually work up. You should do the same with your pooch.

For athletic breeds like my Lab exercise alone is not enough. Many need the mental work of obedience or rally or agility classes as well. Both Doxies and Schaunzers are smart little dogs, do you think one of these would appeal to her and you? It would complement the exercise, not replace it.
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Great post