Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old April 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM

Small red lump under dog's anus

I have a 12 year old terrier who suddenly developed a small, but raised, pea-sized, red lump located one centimetre under his anus. It is sitting directly under the anus and is not favoring either side. It's also red and bleeding, I suspect from irritation. I have noticed him scooting but he has been having normal bowel movements, is active as normal, eats and drinks like normal too. I have also tried manually expressing the anal glands but very little came out. It is my first time attempting it myself so I don't know if I'm doing it wrong.

I've called the vet and the appointment is next week but in the mean time, what could this be? I'm especially concerned because he is an older dog. Thanks for any insight.
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:11 AM
-

Welcome to the board Lirna. Lumps and bumps are always scary aren't they? Hopefully it's nothing more serious than an irritation from scooting or a simple hemorrhoid.

p.s. would love to see pix of your little guy too! Lots of fans of the seniors on this board.

Last edited by mummummum; April 29th, 2010 at 06:12 AM. Reason: desperate plea from a pix addict
Old April 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the well wishes, mummummum. I am hoping it is something harmless too. At this point, and after some research it looks like it could be a perianal adenoma or a perianal adenocarcinoma. I'm hoping for the non-cancerous former. It's odd that he would get one given that he's been neutered since he was 7 months old. I never thought I'd ever say this but, I wish it was a hemorroid instead. Just hoping for some news that is not bad.

I'll see about getting a picture of him when things settle down a bit. Thank you again.
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM
-

Lirna by "research" do you mean you and the internet or you and the Vet?

I often refer to the web as the university of my autumn years as it is such a great learning tool and resource. But, it's very easy to fall into a worry trap gathering more and more information which may or may not be accurate. Or relevant for that matter.

that a biopsy shows that it's benign if it is a tumour.
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

One of our cats has a similar sounding bump just above her anus. The Vet says it is a "dog bite adenoma". It is full of blood but is not irritated or bleeding. Bitty, also age 12, has had it for several years but it is slowly enlarging and we have decided now is the time to have it removed, before it gets any larger. I'm waiting for them to call me with the surgery date.

Here's hoping and praying all goes well for your pup and my cat.

Hemorrhoids? I asked and my Vet said dogs and cats don't get them because they don't strain as humans do. I don't believe everything I'm told but I never got around to looking it up. Do cats and dogs get them? They certainly do strain sometimes.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Geek Club CEO

Abcesed anal gland?
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)