Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 18th, 2013, 11:26 PM

Would you possibly be able to borrow a humane trap from a local rescue group? They might also pay for or subsidize the neuter. He'll be fathering an awful lot of kittens over the summer otherwise.....

I'm in the process of getting information on the neuter/release program. As far as I know it's only for colonies. I might be able to borrow a live trap and it looks like the spay/neuter clinic will take him the day I catch him. I just need to find out if I can get a program to pay for it. I just spent $600 in vet bills on Friday, 1 cat spayed and another had to be stitched up after ripping open her hind quarter.

The poor guy has been hanging around here for a week, as Maddie was in heat, now fixed. I figured if he was here he wasn't getting anyone else pregnant. Maddie is in an enclosure, they would sit and stare at each other.

So I'm working on it, don't need any more kitties) in the neighborhood, only brings around the coyotes and foxes.
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Trey our 3 legged terror - 2014
Old June 18th, 2013, 11:35 PM

Are you sure you don't have my cats pattymac? It's frustrating but at least we are not alone). Did you try the BFF cat food? I'm now mixing that with raw and most times they will eat it. If not then Walmart Special Kitty canned food, the fish ones, they'll eat that one too.

I hesitant to make my own food, as they may not eat it and its a waste of chicken. I'll give it a few more weeks of mixing commercial raw with BFF canned before I make my own. I do have 1 of the 2 brother kittens lapping up the raw and he's the kibble addict. Rattle a bag and he comes a running.
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I looked at the BFF food and for the price, it's probably not much different than the Fancy Feast stuff that you can get that's just meat. Can't remember what it's called. I think Before Grains might be cheaper.

My dog enjoyed the chicken I cooked for the cats, so not much gets wasted here. If the cats don't want it, the dog gets a treat.

So far everybody is happy with the Friskies, haven't found any throw ups so that's good.
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:34 AM

I'm back

Frustrated beyond and trying very hard not to give in to the kibble. It's a constant battle, one day some will eat straight raw, then I have to mix it with wet and now putting kibble on top or mixing in. I've found sprinkling dried cat nip on top works sometimes.

So how long is this going to take? I can't afford all the wet food I'm going through plus the raw plus grain free dry, it's costing more to feed them then us.

I'm afraid to make my own as they may not eat it and there goes 2lbs of meat down the tubes.

I guess I need some encouragement, like a 12 step program for kibble addicts. I want to be able to feed my cats a healthy diet that I can afford.

Will making my own save me the money I'm anticipating? With dry food it would be around $100 - $125 a month, wet would be around $300 a month, the commercial raw, would be around $300 a month as well. I have no idea how much the homemade raw would be for 5 cats and 2 kittens?

Does anyone have a figure on cost of homemade raw? I haven't checked into the local butchers yet, but if we assume the cost of store bought meats, in Ontario, Canada, what would the cost be per month?

On another note the BFF cat food was a mistake to buy, they are hooked on it very much and it's $1.80 for 5.5 oz. so unless you plan on feeding this all the time, I don't recommend getting it. I now have to transition them from BFF to cheaper wet to raw
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:21 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I was buying Mountain Dog Food from a guy in Kingston..they also have cat formulas. If you go to the Mountain Dog Food website, I'm pretty sure he's still on there. I think of all the commercially made foods their's is pretty reasonable in price and they sell in larger quantities than the ones you can get at petstores. You can likely get a few samples to try as well.

I would check with Greenlees for stuff from the butchers.
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
I was buying Mountain Dog Food from a guy in Kingston..they also have cat formulas. If you go to the Mountain Dog Food website, I'm pretty sure he's still on there. I think of all the commercially made foods their's is pretty reasonable in price and they sell in larger quantities than the ones you can get at petstores. You can likely get a few samples to try as well.

I would check with Greenlees for stuff from the butchers.
Thanks again for the local information. I'll check out those places. Found the addresses for them.

Still having eating issues with Rosie and especially my boy Tigger. He's down to 8.8 pounds, down at least a pound over a couple of months. He'll eat 6 bites of food and walk away. He's too bony, even Peanut, the runt of everyone is in better condition then he is. I'm at my wits end with him. Everyone has lost weight, except Callie, who is a stress eater and "the boys" who are bottomless pits, they are up to 5 pounds) the summer plays a factor in some weight loss.

Any suggestions on how to get my boy to eat more? Im trying not to stress around him as that stresses him out. And Rosie's dropped down to 11.2lbs and her breath stinks, even though she has teeth like a 3 year old...she's 13.

I now leave food out at night, mostly the wet that was not eaten during the day. I know Rosie likes to eat at night, she's a nibbler. All the food is gone by morning, unfortunately I don't know who eats what. Should I stop free feeding at night?

It's sooo frustrating
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013