Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 13th, 2012, 08:23 PM

Question Sneezing,coughing-germs on clothing or on my dog!?Plus ok to wait, or?

Both my cats are indoor cats. Occasionally, for two minutes they may go out on the back balcony (upper duplex) which has been enclosed with recycled glass windows 6 ft. high). I am mentioning this as there are feral cats who are sheltered and fed in the back yard, and wondering if germs can be air borne? Ginger, a large rescued orange tabby, who is 12 years, has started sneezing, many times in a row, with a bit of spray flying very light beige, thin, discharge coming out of his mouth, throughout the day. Cali is a very healthy Calico, rescued feral (approx. 7 yrs. old). She has started coughing and very occasionally a teeny one time sneeze, but I haven't noticed any flying discharge. She coughs just for about 7 seconds, about four times a day, in a crouching position, which at first appeared as if she had a hairball.....but if I listen closely I can hear that she may have a bit of congestion. They both have completely normal appetites. There is not any mucousy discharge or excess tears running from their eyes or noses. There is no difficulty breathing. But for sure it seems as if they have....a cold? In the 43 years of having cats, I have never had any that have had colds.
(Also....f.y.i......over the past few years as Ginger has become older, he occasionally has one eye that is a bit inflamed/ irritated,it becomes teary and sensitive to light, but never with discharge, and has been related to the herpes ocular virus rhino.trach. connection. Recently the Vet saw him and recommended a pump bottle of a gel lysine supplement, and I think it may be helping his eye !! plus a nice gel tear product in a little tube, to help ease any discomfort. Both seem to help a bit when he gets this.)

Regarding the incessant sneezing and coughing...does anyone know:

>> Can the sneezing with discharge that Ginger has, and the coughing that Cali has, go away on it's own and just run it's course... with time? And if yes.....approx. how long should I wait? (it is now 3 days)
>> If it is "viral" - do Vets prescribe medications for colds?
>> Can both my cats have the same virus or bacteria but one with occasional coughing?
>> How long do I wait before having to go to the Vet?

>> IS THERE A POSSIBILITY THAT I HAVE BROUGHT THIS INTO THE HOUSE ON MY CLOTHING IF ONE OF THE OUTDOOR YOUNG FERALS HAS BEEN RUBBING ON MY PANTS, AND/OR ON MY LITTLE DOG BABY? > CAN GERMS BE CARRIED TO MY INDOOR CATS ON BABY'S FUR? (SOUNDING QUITE NEUROTIC , I KNOW, BUT I HEARD ONE OF THE FERALS SNEEZING RECENTLY)! HOW ELSE COULD THEY HAVE THIS?

(I always wash my hands when entering the house from outside, and do not allow shoes worn outside into the house.)

I would greatly appreciate your experiences, any advice or information. Thank you all!
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Senior Contributor

What kind of heat do you have , do have a baseboard heaters in your house?
If you have turn your heat on maybe your cat is allergic to dust coming from the heater.
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:46 AM

Question Sneezing,coughing-germs on clothing or on my dog!?plus ok to wait, or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
What kind of heat do you have , do have a baseboard heaters in your house?
If you have turn your heat on maybe your cat is allergic to dust coming from the heater.
I appreciate your reply.
I know 100% it is not the heating. This is not allergy type of sneezing as I am familiar with that.
There are radiators that are on the wall that have water inside of the coils....not sure if this is a baseboard heater.

I appreciate your reply. Thanks.
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Based on what I read here, seems to me that your cats may have caught a cold...but it could of course be something else.

My cat Twiggy had a cold that lasted a few days last month and then went away. My cat baci caught something that turned into pneumonia 2 months ago.

Cats do tend to fight colds (usually upper respiratory related infections as far as i know) just like humans, and just like humans if the cold gets more severe or the symptoms increase or won't go away - doctor time.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:50 AM

Post Sneezing,coughing-germs on clothing or on my dog!?Plus ok to wait, or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIOLET0019 View Post
Both my cats are indoor cats. Occasionally, for two minutes they may go out on the back balcony (upper duplex) which has been enclosed with recycled glass windows 6 ft. high). I am mentioning this as there are feral cats who are sheltered and fed in the back yard, and wondering if germs can be air borne? Ginger, a large rescued orange tabby, who is 12 years, has started sneezing, many times in a row, with a bit of spray flying very light beige, thin, discharge coming out of his mouth, throughout the day. Cali is a very healthy Calico, rescued feral (approx. 7 yrs. old). She has started coughing and very occasionally a teeny one time sneeze, but I haven't noticed any flying discharge. She coughs just for about 7 seconds, about four times a day, in a crouching position, which at first appeared as if she had a hairball.....but if I listen closely I can hear that she may have a bit of congestion. They both have completely normal appetites. There is not any mucousy discharge or excess tears running from their eyes or noses. There is no difficulty breathing. But for sure it seems as if they have....a cold? In the 43 years of having cats, I have never had any that have had colds.
(Also....f.y.i......over the past few years as Ginger has become older, he occasionally has one eye that is a bit inflamed/ irritated,it becomes teary and sensitive to light, but never with discharge, and has been related to the herpes ocular virus rhino.trach. connection. Recently the Vet saw him and recommended a pump bottle of a gel lysine supplement, and I think it may be helping his eye !! plus a nice gel tear product in a little tube, to help ease any discomfort. Both seem to help a bit when he gets this.)

Regarding the incessant sneezing and coughing...does anyone know:

>> Can the sneezing with discharge that Ginger has, and the coughing that Cali has, go away on it's own and just run it's course... with time? And if yes.....approx. how long should I wait? (it is now 3 days)
>> If it is "viral" - do Vets prescribe medications for colds?
>> Can both my cats have the same virus or bacteria but one with occasional coughing?
>> How long do I wait before having to go to the Vet?

>> IS THERE A POSSIBILITY THAT I HAVE BROUGHT THIS INTO THE HOUSE ON MY CLOTHING IF ONE OF THE OUTDOOR YOUNG FERALS HAS BEEN RUBBING ON MY PANTS, AND/OR ON MY LITTLE DOG BABY? > CAN GERMS BE CARRIED TO MY INDOOR CATS ON BABY'S FUR? (SOUNDING QUITE NEUROTIC , I KNOW, BUT I HEARD ONE OF THE FERALS SNEEZING RECENTLY)! HOW ELSE COULD THEY HAVE THIS?

(I always wash my hands when entering the house from outside, and do not allow shoes worn outside into the house.)

I would greatly appreciate your experiences, any advice or information. Thank you all!

I wanted to let the members on this site know, that I brought Ginger to the Vet yesterday, as he was not improving and has been with this continual sneezing with mucousy discharge for the past 4-5 days, and just feeling blue . After examination, she confirmed that his "cold" is most probably due to his being a carrier of the Feline Herpes virus infection or Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis. Although he has no fever and without discharges from his eyes or nasal, but BECAUSE his mucousy discharge flying out of his mouth when he sneezes is NOT a clear colour, but being in the yellowish shade, she suggested that he begin antibiotics. She said that he most probably also has a secondary bacterial infection, which if not treated could lead to him becoming quite ill. Also, he has lost weight - about 3/4 lb. (since September when he was seen by this Vet (for a second opinion) for his chronic eye inflammation - which is related to this Feline Herpes virus infection or Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis which he has).
So he is now on Clavamox, liquid antibiotics -2x day for 7 days- (because I have difficulty pilling cats) although this is also not easy to administer, and hope that he will get better soon. Also I will give him the Lysine twice a day as I have been only giving it to him one time a day. And as his appetite is so-so, and finicky for the past couple of years, I will continue to offer him a "buffet" assortment, in order to entice/bribe him to eat, (feeding him small portions, several times a day, to avoid another issue which he has - chronic vomitting).
As for Cali, as she is most likely also with this Feline Herpesvirus infection or Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis as she lives in the same house as him and as she is coughing occasionally and doing a one time little sneeze occasionally, I will watch her and hope that her "cold" will eventually get better. And if she gets worse, then I will bring her to the Vet.
Hope some of this information helps others with their cats who are sneezing and with a mucousy discharge that is NOT clear colour!
[/COLOR]
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sorry your kitties are sick, violet. I hope the meds work for Ginger quickly and Cali recovers without needing a vet visit!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Tags
coughing, germs on clothing, sneezing