Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Litter Training for Dogs

I have a 3 year old Shih tzu and she is already housebroken. I recently moved into an apartment and would like to litter train her. My problem is that she absolutely will not do her business in the house because she knows this as being the wrong thing to do. Any suggestions on what I can do to help the process?
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Litter training is terrible. Seriously. Why would you want to change this? You have the perfect dogs and to try to untrain this good behaviour of going outside is just not in their natures since they were properly trained in the first place.

Sorry if this sounds rude however I always instruct people on how to train their dogs to go outside and never paper train, pee pad train or litter train any dog.
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:38 AM

I understand your concern, however the reason why I am doing this is not because I don't want to bring her outside to do her business, I don't mind doing that during the day, however at night I do not trust the neighborhood I'm in (I also live alone therefore no one can accompany me at night) and as I mentioned before I am in an apartment building. Getting her litter trained would be much safer for her and I.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok I understand.

How many times does she wake during the night to ask for the door? How does the dog let you know when he/she needs to go outside.

Let me know and I will address further.
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:52 AM

Thank you for your understanding,

She's a very good dog, she never woke me up during the night because she had to go outside. When I lived at the house, her way of telling me she wanted to go outside was waiting at the door. At the apartment however she hasn't really developed a way of telling me, I would just take her outside every 2 hours or so.

I tried not taking her out for a little longer hoping she would have an accident in the apartment and then I could correct her on where to go, however she hasn't done anything. I'm afraid that she may be too much of a good dog (ironic) to do anything indoors.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok - then infact you will not have to litter train but instead work towards keeping her clean during the evening (which she previously was). I take it that there have been changes in your life by which you are now living in an apartment. The dog infact is going through these changes with you - more than likely you both are trying to get into a routine.

I would tether her to you at night. Keep her close to you and when she goes to move - you will be aware. Most of the time the dog will get up to investigate at night, followed by a quick pee. Almost like people who wake up at night...followed by a quick snack.

When she goes to leave you, tell her to lie down and she should resume back to sleep. If she never asked before to go out at night - then you know that this is a temporary behavoural problem that is fixable.

Do you think you could try this instead of litter training?