Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

Old February 7th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Pet Health Area, perhaps a new Title?

I don't know about the rest of you, but honestly, I'm sick of seeing posts like "my pet has diahrea", "my pet keeps vomitting", etc....

I know it clearly states in the title of the Pet Health Area that * If your pet is vomiting, bleeding, has diarrhea etc. seek vet care, but somehow this information is ignored, and people keep posting when they should obviously be contacting their vet.

Maybe a title change would help minimize the types of posts that we all respond "go to the vet NOW" to? obviously there will be some of that nature, and I'd rather say "go to the vet" and have the OP actually follow that advice, than not post at all, and possibly never see a vet.

Anyways, just throwin the idea out there.

Pet Health - Informational Purposes Only
Pet Health - After Veterinary Care
Pet Health - Maintainance & Tips

Or maybe it's as simple as making the * If your pet is vomiting, bleeding, has diarrhea etc. seek vet care, BOLD?
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Yeah, it never ends eh? Anything to save a buck.
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I like the idea of adding Maintenance and Tips. That seems to describe the purpose of that forum. Of course putting the warning in bold can't hurt either.

I feel badly for people with money problems but it's frustrating to read things like "my dogs eyes are rolling back in his head, 3 of his legs are broken, his temp is raging, he's unconscious and vomiting. If he's not better a week from Tuesday I might take him to the vet."
Old February 7th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Kitty Consort

Jess, I like your idea too.

It's a frustrating thing - the info is everywhere, and to me its very prominent now. Yet still some people either ( somehow) dont see it or choose to ignore it. It can only be one of the two reasons.

As these are urgent matters that bring such posters here - how about a "Pet Health-URGENT ISSUES" subforum to get their attention - where NO posts are permitted, but is simply an advisory to seek vet help. That way they cant possibly miss the request not to post on any of the boards with a matter than only a vet can assist with.
As the lack of money seems to be a common factor for such posts, perhaps a notation covering the ways to address could be added as well.
Also, I think that some mistakenly believe that they can get a prompt reply from a vet here, dont understand it's occassional input only.

If they STILL post - or for other posts that fall under this category, they can be referred to back to read the Urgent area.

Hmm.. its a tricky problem for sure.

Last edited by Shamrock; February 7th, 2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I agree something needs to be done because some people just don't pay attention and I know I've posted what seems like a million times "please take your pet to the vet asap" and even after posting that, they still ask questions that only a vet can answer. I think everyone here has some great ideas.
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
As these are urgent matters that bring such posters here - how about a "Pet Health-URGENT ISSUES" subforum to get their attention - where NO posts are permitted, but is simply an advisory to seek vet help
ooo I like that one. That's a good idea, IMO. Or "EMERGENCY ISSUES"
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
how about a "Pet Health-URGENT ISSUES" subforum to get their attention - where NO posts are permitted, but is simply an advisory to seek vet help. That way they cant possibly miss the request not to post on any of the boards with a matter than only a vet can assist with.
As the lack of money seems to be a common factor for such posts, perhaps a notation covering the ways to address could be added as well.
Fabulous idea! I think that would help immensely.
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Kitty Consort

The pitfall I see with this is - defining urgent or emergency.
It should be apparent to most pet owners,and is very well covered now.
But there are still such posts, which to me seem to be for these reasons:

Some truly dont realize the severity of their pets' situation.
Others may just be looking for confirmation by others.
Another group does know, but are looking to avoid a vet visit, usually due to financial concerns.

Perhaps a "top-ten" listing of the most common urgent pet situations could be itemized (with a notation that these are ONLY SOME emergencies)
What is urgent?
The bottom line - if they have found their way to an urgent health section online, they are worried/wondering about their pet. This fact alone confirms that a phone call to a vet's, regular or after hours is needed without delay to clarify the severity of their pet's problem.

To help new members better understand, a brief line about the distressing nature of such posts might be added.. along with a notation that IS ok to ask for help if they have a call in to the vet and are waiting, or have any questions on followup.

Its safe to say that this issue is impossible to address completely, but something along these lines might be offered on a trial basis - see if it reduces the number of these distressing posts.

Just my thoughts on a tricky area for which there is no easy solution or magic "cure".
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

This is indeed tricky and I suspect almost any title will engender some debate. Someone whose pet has cancer who may well have sought and paid for excellent vet care may seek info on whether such and such a symtom is normal or at least one experienced by others who may have had a pet cope with a similar illness or a person in a remote area and no vet access for 8 hours or less may need to ask a question.

I agree there are questions that frustrate me as well but as my vet says, not all of us live in a large city where we have access to exactly what we want. It does help to know if others can support us in some small way or provide an experience that may have helepd them till they got to the vet. I so hate to judge others before I see what they write.

Additinally, what is urgent or emergent to some of us may be something actually not that uncommon and a new dog, bunny or cat "owner" may benefit from knowing others have experienced similar symptoms with the proviso that they visit their vet asap if it seems life threatening. We are not vets and even if we are or think we possess knowledge, we need to give people a place to post their concerns. If there was a a way to do triage online, ... maybe the site could create a diagram like those pyramid like ones health care sites have that let people know when they should conuslt a doctor. I don't know - I just do not want to discurage people from discussing their pet's medical needs while weeding out those who are hesitant to spend money on an ill pet - even those people need to hear that they should see a vet. Who but us might even tell them that?

Last edited by CyberKitten; February 8th, 2006 at 05:52 PM.
Old February 14th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Perhaps as ADMIN I see the warnings, but they are in MANY places. In the signup rules, in announcements, and in the pet health title in the forum in bold.

We have taken your advice and created a forum with one thread and no posting allowed. please check it out and comment.

Please take a look and feel free to give further opinion in this thread.

IMO if there are still emergency questions - I think the easiest thing is to send the URL of these threads to Mods or myself so that they can be immediately closed with a "No emergencies - go see a vet note" instead of the thread upsetting everyone.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for listening & implementing the suggestion! I do hope it helps, but only time will tell.

again, thanks!
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:13 PM

Yey! I hope people respect that.
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Kitty Consort

Thank you Marko, for implementing this. I hope it does help to cut down on the number of distressing posts.
I agree its very well-covered everywhere..and shouldnt be necessary.
But any steps that might help to direct someone to act rather than wait seem worth a shot.
I like the comparison you've made - if it were a person rather than a pet.

I have known two online posters whose cats died from blockages while they stalled.. and was once advised myself to give a Tylenol to my sick cat. (poison!)
While we want to offer support and compassion,there is no subsitute for vet advice and care.