Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Looks like Nemo isn't an only child

Spotted little Nemo this afternoon with 2 others in tow. One is the same size he is the other is much smaller. I just hope there aren't anymore. 10 fish I will be pushing my ponds stocking limit. Any more than that and they're going to have to be rehomed. Now I've gotta come up with some more names.

Cindy
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Maybe you'll have to put in another pond

I'm glad Nemo isn't alone...he needs friends, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:47 AM
-

I think it's time for more fishies pics.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I tell you, I'd turn my whole backyard into a pond if I could. No way, this is the last pond build we do. The dogs need their space too and I still have to build my little above ground lotus pool yet. That's a project for next spring.
Spotted 2 more much smaller ones again today. Count is up to 5 now. This is much better than when I had goldfish, I'd end up with at least 30 - 50 babies by the end of the summer with those. Koi are better at eating up their eggs, but still, next year comes the heartbreak of having to rehome the ones you can't keep. :sad: Mind you, you have to catch them first.
I tried taking a couple of pics of Nemo yesterday, but with him staying on the bottom and moving in and out of shadows, none good enough to post.
I'll keep trying.

Cindy
Old August 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

How big is your pond? You had said you could hold 10 comfortably but after that it gets tough? Sorry for the questions but if I ever manage to get my butt outside in this heat to start work my aim is still to have my pond in by the end of the fall. No fish this year but it would be an option for next.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 3rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I get so excited for some reason when Nemo information comes up, I'm glad he's not alone!
Going to have to consider spaying Nemos momma... you're working up quite the Back Pond breeder reputation now
Old August 3rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
How big is your pond? You had said you could hold 10 comfortably but after that it gets tough? Sorry for the questions but if I ever manage to get my butt outside in this heat to start work my aim is still to have my pond in by the end of the fall. No fish this year but it would be an option for next.
The pond is 4,000 gallons. Koi need a minimum of 250 gallons per fish, 500 is preferred. You can keep more than that if you over filter but then what happens if you have a power failure for any length of time. Then you gotta worry about having a generator. It's so not worth pushing the envelope.
When we first put the 7 fish in this pond, it looked fishless. It's so tempting to put in more fish, but they grow, and they grow fast. Veronica alone has grown more than 6 inches since the end of April. The rest at least 3 inches each.
Now if you want to put in goldfish, they can take a much higher stocking level, I had over 30 in a 1500 gallon pond for years with no issues. They're tougher than koi too IMO, not the short bodied fancy ones, the comets and shubunkins.

Cindy
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
I get so excited for some reason when Nemo information comes up, I'm glad he's not alone!
Going to have to consider spaying Nemos momma... you're working up quite the Back Pond breeder reputation now
Birth control for fish, someone could make a whole lotta money if they could come up with something for that.

Cindy
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks for the info! A lady I know has a very overstocked pond. She has told me to come get some fish when I am ready. Like I said, next year. Hers are the huge goldfish. I think she had about 100 or so different sizes. I know the pond looked pretty full. I will bookmark this so I can find it next time I have to look.
Thanks clm!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
150% PRO S/N

I don't know if she would even remember the kind she has. Last time I was there she just called them her poor fishies.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Goldies are fun fish. Like I said, they'll take a much higher stocking level. Comets are red or orange, or red or orange and white, sometimes they call the red and white ones sarrassas. Shubunkins are white, black, blue and red. Really pretty.

Cindy
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Goldies are fun fish. Like I said, they'll take a much higher stocking level. Comets are red or orange, or red or orange and white, sometimes they call the red and white ones sarrassas. Shubunkins are white, black, blue and red. Really pretty.

Cindy

Oh, ok. I know I saw red and orange ones. I thought I saw some black, not sure. All I know is that there were a lot! Her pond was the size of a large oval swimming pool. In fact, it may have been at one time.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Can't wait until you start your pond. It's a tough job building it, but once it's done, it's the most peaceful place in the garden to sit and unwind.
You're gonna love it.

Cindy