Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Slave to the Kitties

I'm really kinda pissed :(

I have been taking in cats for along time now, and i am getting older and want to kinda retire, i will never retire completely, but i want to take a rest, its been crazy sometimes on the amount of kittens i have had to re home in the past few years. But that isnt what i am pissed about. My boyfriend/husband's parents are in there late 70's, and after my boyfriend moved out of there huge house, and in with me, they decided to get another cat. They adopted, which i thought was great. They talked to me about it , and they said they wouldnt be able to get a kitten because they wouldnt be able to keep up with it, and i said well it would be better for you to get a older cat anyway. What do they bring home ????? A year and a half old female. I am pissed. They may have this cat if there lucky 10 years or so, she could live twice that. Where will she go. Probably here. Maybe i am being mean, but they should have thought about what they were doing. I am not trying to offend any older people either, i am 43, not my style, but when you get older you should think about things like this. It was really nice that they adopted , but later after it gets adjusted to there home, may have to be uprooted again. I just had to bitch.

Bear 1994-2010 Oggie 1996-2011 Sis 1996-2012
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Edwina,you are right,I am old and although I am crazy for kittens and cats in general,I am not having any more cats.
Even the 2 I have,Vinnie is only 9 yrs old and will more than likely outlive me and hubs,that worries me..
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Slave to the Kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Edwina,you are right,I am old and although I am crazy for kittens and cats in general,I am not having any more cats.
Even the 2 I have,Vinnie is only 9 yrs old and will more than likely outlive me and hubs,that worries me..
I would definetly take Vinnie, chico, if you want.

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwina View Post
I would definetly take Vinnie, chico, if you want.
You'd have to fight me for them

I agree, Edwina, even a 1.5 year old kitty is hard to keep up with and they should have looked at rescuing a senior kitty

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

my mom is 74 and just got her first kitten a year ago next month, he was 4 weeks old when she took him from kids at a park (long story), its given her a second life, if something happens to my mom (god forbid) any one of us 4 kids would be more than thrilled to have this cat live with us, its a part of her, my daughter has said from day one that Brina lives with her if something happens to hubs and I and its in our will with provisions, same as mom has done with her cat, and as much as I like cats in other peoples homes, I've never wanted another in my home...but hers, I'd take, Brina loves him.
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Slave to the Kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
my mom is 74 and just got her first kitten a year ago next month, he was 4 weeks old when she took him from kids at a park (long story), its given her a second life, if something happens to my mom (god forbid) any one of us 4 kids would be more than thrilled to have this cat live with us, its a part of her, my daughter has said from day one that Brina lives with her if something happens to hubs and I and its in our will with provisions, same as mom has done with her cat, and as much as I like cats in other peoples homes, I've never wanted another in my home...but hers, I'd take, Brina loves him.
Melinda i understand this, for one she is only 74, my boyfriends parents have about 5 years on her. Also it sounds, even though you didnt give detail , that it was a rescue. But i already have 11 cats, all are rescues, and my boyfriend has 1 brother, and he has dogs, and wont be able to take a cat in. So the only place for her to go is either back to the shelter, or here.

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Slave to the Kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
You'd have to fight me for them
Ok i am ready to rumble. LOL

Old July 12th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwina View Post
Melinda i understand this, for one she is only 74, my boyfriends parents have about 5 years on her. Also it sounds, even though you didnt give detail , that it was a rescue. But i already have 11 cats, all are rescues, and my boyfriend has 1 brother, and he has dogs, and wont be able to take a cat in. So the only place for her to go is either back to the shelter, or here.
oh believe me Edwina, I completely understand your point also, my husband and I say Brina is our last dog, she's 6 and I'm almost 53, so another 10 yrs with her (knocks on wood) and we'll be retired, do we really want to take on more responsibilities? I get at least one call a week for a dog to help place, I know what its like to have everyone think you can work miracles...I wasn't speaking out against your rant, just showing you the other side also.
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I totally understand your frustration.
The only thing I might suggest is that many people don't want to think about their own mortality...even though we all should. That may be playing a part here.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:45 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Man, retiring? At 43? Ok dok!!
Now - let me tell you a little story. It may give you cause to reflect.
I have a friend who recently lost her grandmother at 97. Her grandmother had an 11 year old and a 3 year old cat. I am prepared to take those cats if need be. But who am I to tell anyone they can't have a pet? Yes, an older cat would have been nice. But the heart wants what the heart wants.
I have quite a number of years on you Edwina. I also have quite a few more cats than you. Retire? Not any time soon. I love my life and the cats way too much to say ok, enough is enough. They help keep my young.
May I suggest when you are rehoming these cats you are also preaching spay/neuter big time? That in itself may help in cutting down your responsibility. I understand there are quite a number of low cost s/n clinics in the States. That should help a lot.
Please don't think I am lecturing. I'm not. Maybe just looking at it from another view point.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; July 12th, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Slave to the Kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Man, retiring? At 43? Ok dok!!
Now - let me tell you a little story. It may give you cause to reflect.
I have a friend who recently lost her grandmother at 97. Her grandmother had an 11 year old and a 3 year old cat. I am prepared to take those cats if need be. But who am I to tell anyone they can't have a pet? Yes, an older cat would have been nice. But the heart wants what the heart wants.
I have quite a number of years on you Edwina. I also have quite a few more cats than you. Retire? Not any time soon. I love my life and the cats way too much to say ok, enough is enough. They help keep my young.
May I suggest when you are rehoming these cats you are also preaching spay/neuter big time? That in itself my help in cutting down your responsibility. I understand there are quite a number of low cost s/n clinics in the States. That should help a lot.
Please don't think I am lecturing. I'm not. Maybe just looking at it from another view point.
Believe me, if i had alot of money, i would have a dozen or more shelters. But i dont. And i just need a break right now from the amount of kittens that show up on my doorstep. ( If only they could stay tiny, they would eat less ) I do preach spay neuter, whether it helps or not, not sure. The main reason for a needed break is my fathers leftover bills. Once i can get back in the groove again, then maybe i can keep going, right now, i cant.
I am not against older people getting animals, just because you get old, doesnt mean you have to give up everything. I just thought it would have been more responsible for them to adopt an older cat, since they were older, and there usually the ones put to sleep first, why i dont know.

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:36 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I hear you on the money thing. Lots of bills here too. But we do what we do I suppose.
If possible could you do some groundwork and find a few rescues that could help you out? That way instead of you feeling you have to take these cats/kittens people bring, you could lead them gently to the path of the rescues. You've done your part for them.
Take a break. Sounds like you could use one.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!