Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old May 29th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Exotic pets

Hi everyone,

I'm doing some research for a TV programme about what it's like to live with exotic pets or take in unusual animals when they are ill or have been abused. If anyone thinks they've got a great story to tell, please let me know. This programme is in development at the moment, so I'm just looking for information and experiences and you wouldn't be committing to anything, I'd just love to speak to anyone who thinks they've got a great pet.

I hope it's ok to post this here. If it's not, then I apologise. Can anyone suggest another way of contacting owners? All ideas welcomed.

Leave me a message or PM me and I'll get back to you.

Thanks

Emma
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

and what do you classify as "exotic" I've rescued hedgehogs, guinea pigs, squirrels, wild birds, groundhogs, skunks, chipmunks (that has now adopted my hubby and won't leave him alone when he's working in his garage) oh and a gosseling
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM

I think this sounds like a neat program, but it really ought to emphasize some things.
1) Wild animals do not make good pets, and rehabilitators, who must be licensed, take in animals only until they can be released.. (unless they are permanently injured.
2) exotic pets require special care, and it is often expensive and time consuming.
3)wild/exotic pets can be more dangerous than regular pets, and can injure those who don't know how to handle them.

It's neat to see these pets, but it's sad when people go out and get one on impulse after watching shows like this. Then they find it is too much trouble and expense and dump. Please be careful about what message you send.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Melinda, they all sound pretty exotic to me! So you rescue the animals when they're injured and release them when they get better?

ownedbycats, thank you for the advice. We absolutely wouldn't want to give the wrong impression of what it's like to keep exotic pets. I've spoken to people at shelters and rescue centres who have exactly the same concerns as you, so it's something we're already taking into consideration.
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:31 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Emma where abouts are you located, there is a place on hwy 115 on the way to peteborough called exotic cat world. They take in all of the exotic pets people were silly enough to own. I'm not talking squirrels, etc. This couple has, lions,wolves, tigers,leopards, bears, monkeys etc.

I personally have raised several mommyless squirrels and own a chinchilla ..
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
own a chinchilla ..
We have a chinchilla at our shelter up for adoptation if you are looking for a friend for your chinchilla.

You can pm me,but I won't be able to get back to you until Saturday. I am working nights on-call tonight. 4pm-7am.

ACO22
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:30 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

ACO22 thanks for the offer but i think right now we'll pass. Nermal is supposed to be my stepdaughters and well she has been how should i say. Less than responsible so its us looking after him. I will mention it to my neighbour tho, she's been interested in getting one.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Aslan, thank you for the tip. Unfortunately I'm in the UK, so I can't visit, but I will definitely try to contact them.

How do you find out how to look after an animal like a squirrel or a chinchilla? Presumably they have quite specific needs, don't they?
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:12 PM
-

When we found our first little squirrel we called a rescue to ask for help. They couldn't take the little one until his eyes opened so they gave us step by step instructions on feeding, coaxing pottie etc. As for the Chinchilla, they are becoming quite common here as pets. Mine was bought from a Breeder of show Chinchilla's. You can buy specific foods made for them, they do like treats you just have to be careful on what and how much as they are prone to being sugar junkies. They are litter box trainbable, and they bath in a sand made from lava rock. Google is a wonderful thing.
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM
-

Emma here is the link for jungle cat world

/www.junglecatworld.com

Any of the pets members with small children, they have a camp program. The kids stay there, and learn about the animals and help in taking care of them. We sent my oldest nephew there and he just loved it.
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma142 View Post
Aslan, thank you for the tip. Unfortunately I'm in the UK, so I can't visit, but I will definitely try to contact them.

How do you find out how to look after an animal like a squirrel or a chinchilla? Presumably they have quite specific needs, don't they?

Emma, I'm a member of a rehabilitation/rescue group in ottawa, and am in touch with them regularly, I personally am not licenced but do contact the ministry with each new animal recieved, I have cages my chins have outgrown and use them for rehabbing, once they are well they are transfered to the rescue in ottawa to be raised with like members of their species so they dont forget what they are.
There are recipes for each wild critter depending on age and species, you learn to keep them on hand along with first aid supplies.
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Toronto Wildlife center is a good one.

type it into your search engine. I wouldn't trust just going on any site on the internet. There are alot of miss information/misleading information on the web.

ACO22