Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:42 PM

Newbie's inquiries

Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster here!

Here's my situation: I'm a 21-year old college student looking to adopt a pet sometime after this semester's over. I read a lot (and I mean a LOT) about different pets, from snakes to fennecs to ants and dogs. And since it would be my first pet ever, I narrowed it down quite a bit. Originally I wanted a rabbit which seems really cool but quite a commitment considering it's a first pet. So it would be either a rat or a gerbil, something like that. A few questions:

1- Just double checking, are these good choices?

2- With the appropriate amount of attention, what kind of bonding can I expect from small rodents anyway?

thank you in advance for the help
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM
-

I used to bring the Rats home for the weekend when I was at school, I found them to be quite friendly and tame and they really liked human companionship.

Gerbils I know nothing about.
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Skylar's Farm

Hello KK, and welcome!
A good first pet is a hamster, rat, or guinea pig. Gerbils are cute, but a bit more jumpy.
Guinea pigs will need more cage cleaning than a hamster or rat, but it's up to you.
If you get a rat, try to get a young male and handle it every day. They are super smart and can even do tricks.
Whichever one you decide on, do your research and don't use cedar chips as bedding for any rodent.
Good Luck.
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Hi,
Any pet is a committment. If you are worried about that, then a bearded dragon might be a good start. Of course it isn't furry, but if handled often will get to know you. Their care isn't very time consuming,they don't get too big, are quiet and can be left for a few days. Shouldn't be too much of a problem with allergies either. Good Luck.
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the help guys, and kmd, I know that all pets are a commitment but I just didn't want to invest hundreds of dollars a month and multiple horus a day for a decade as my *first* pet commitment heh. Anyway I decided I'll get a rat sometime in the near future, do my best and see where it goes!
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I had a lovely rat when I was in the military. He was great fun and didn't get mad at me when I had to work a couple of days at a time.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Skylar's Farm

A young male rat is a perfect first pet. He will sit on your shoulder while you study, or re-arrange things on your desk.
We would love to have one, but our cat has other plans......
I think there are rat lover web sites you could check out. Good Luck.
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:04 PM

I'm new too but I have to commend you on your decision that a rabbit would be a lot of work! They live 8-12 years and require spay/neuter (for health/behavior) which is quite pricey. I have four and a rabbit shelter and I can tell you definitely that rabbits are very expensive and time consuming-not easy when your still in college!

For my two cents-I've never owned rats but know many who own them and they are apparently fantastic, smart and clean pets. They play, they can be trained and they seem to love their owners-I'd think a rat would be a great pet!