Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old December 5th, 2008, 10:14 PM

Question Plz Read

We have a male Ferret about 4 yrs of age. We noticed his eye was swollen, dry and was blinking it and sometimes holding it shut. We took him to the vet and he tested to see if his eye was producing tears and it turned out his one eye was not. The vet had no idea what could be causing the problem and suggested that he may have Chlamydia in his eye. The vet sent us home with Isopto tear drops and Tetracycline eye ointment (which i have since stopped using as he scratches & rubs his eye like it hurts). It has been a few days now and his eye has been getting worse not better, altho his eye does not seem as dry. The conjunctiva part of his eye has now started to swell. He is still eating and drinking but is very fatigued. Can anyone help me find a diagnoses?? I do not want to take him back to this vet as he is the only one that specializes in small animals in our area and openly admitted to looking for information on the internet to diagnosed the problem. I will have to take him to a vet out of town but was hoping for some information/ idea's that i can pass on to the next vet hoping I will end up with a better out come. Thank You.
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I am very sorry that you are ogoing through this. Unfortunatly i dont have any imformation about this and therefor cannot help you. I do wish you and your little guy the best of luck
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

in the meantime, to sooth and washout his eye, dip white bread into warm milk and wipe his eye clean with that a couple times a day. It also helps with infection and is gentle enough to use on new born pups
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM

I am no ferret expert by any means but(or an expert on anything) if he's not producing tears could it be that his tear duct is blocked? I've seen cat's and dogs come into the clinic with blocked tear ducts and the vet had a special tool to flush them open again. I cannot remember what the after care was and they didn't need to be knocked out for it, just sedated...although ferret's are more squirmy.

Just a thought.

Hope you find what's wrong soon.
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:36 PM

Thanks everyone... We have been to the vet a few times and still have no idea what is wrong with his poor eye...the vet has givin us various drops but nothing seems to be working . The next step is to take his eye out :sad: Thanks for the milk method i will try that as he seems to rub it alot which makes it worse and maybe that will prevent him from doing that. Also i will mention flushing out his tear duct to the vet...thanks for the reply as something is better then nothing at this point.