Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old October 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM

New Hedgehog

I have recently acquired a hedgehog. I've done my homework on feeding and what not. I have 3 questions: Will he use a litter pan? What should I line the cage with? and, I read you can break them of being nocturnal for bonding reasons, what's the best way to do that? The websites and books I have found are all very different. Thank you all in advance.
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

congrats on researching your new pet, my hedgehogs used the litter boxes, even my rescue ones caught on quickly, do not use the clumping type, when you feed them their worms, either drop them for a few seconds in boiling water or cut them in half, sometimes hedgies won't chew and swallow them whole, the worms CAN do damage before the stomach acids kill them. Keep an eye on their ears, most infections start there. You can turn them into daytime animals quite easily, I kept mine in the daycare room and they are such nosey little critters that they stayed awake just to watch the kids. They love running on the floors loose and we use to make tunnels for them from the kids leggo's, a type of "agility" course if you will *L* have fun with them!!
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Skylar's Farm

The worst thing you can use is Cedar shavings.....very strong odour.
Aspen or pine is acceptable, I used to leave the bags open so that the shavings were exposed to air before using.
I also found that my hogs naturally tended to use one corner for the bathroom area which was far from the sleeping and eating area.

Hogs sometimes get teeny tiny ear mites or fungal issues, the ears start to look a bit dusty or crusty....the vet can treat this with ivermectin.

They love to eat beetles, crickets and occasional mealworms too.
Does your hog like your rabbit?

Last edited by Bina; October 15th, 2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM

I've got a hedgie. He's not the cleanest pet ever lol but I still love'em. personally, I use a cage liner on the cage because I've got allergies to the shavings. I change it daily and wash them all at the end of the week. He'll use the litter box if he's close to it. I've got a corner one in the cage AND one under the wheel. The best way to get your hedgehog use to comming out during the day is to use consistent routine. hope you have fun with yuor new quilly friend