Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old May 10th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Question about guinea pig breeds/breeding

Hi everyone,

Our family is looking at getting a pair of guinea pigs as pets so I have been doing a lot of reading about them. It seems that they are all of certain breeds (american, peruvian, abysinnian, etc...) is there such thing as a "mutt" guinea pig? Like what would happen if you had an abysinnian male mate with a short haired american female? Or a peruvian with an abysinnian? Do you get a litter of "mutts" or do you get some of each breed? Would "mutts" make just as good pets as pure breeds?

Last edited by sonicsink; May 10th, 2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to check off email notification
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Guinea pigs have variations not really "breeds" you basically call it as you see it. Please do not breed them, people don't want them, they are one of those pets people get for their kids in lou of a dog and then the kid gets bored after a week.
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'm a softy

yuo would get mutt pigs.. you wont get some of each, and almost all in pet stores are not a pure variety anyway, you would have to go to a real pig fancier.. I agree.. there are tons of them already, get one if you want one as a pet, but just let it be your friend, no need to breed them.. What would you do if you ended up with 10 that you couldn't find homes for? Are you prepared to spend hundreds of dollars on a piggy if something were to happen during birth? I had a sick pig when I was young, my parents spend $300 on a vet bill, and it died at the vet.. If you were to breed them it is a reality that you would be spending a lot of money at the vet.

look into rescue, there are piggies at the humane societies, give a home to one that really needs it! I don't think they should be in pet stores, they are not cans of soup, and that is a horrible way of treating any animal.. There are many many piggies in the world already and many not treated like the living, breathing, feeling babies that they are!

they do make great pets though!