Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old March 30th, 2009, 08:21 AM

URGENT.. 2 friendly rabbits need new home!

Hi, I have two very friendly but big female bunnies that need a new home urgently! We rescued them in Sept 08 and discovered my daughter is allergic. We've held on... keeping them isolated from my daughter... while trying to find them a new home. Now we are at the point where my daughter is having asthma attacks and obviously she can't be in the same house as the rabbits for this reason... she is only 6 years old.
The rabbits are both female, Taffy and Smokey, they were very small babies when we got them so I'd say they are about 9 months old (?)... they are like little dogs and love to be petted... always beg for attention when you walk by the cage. I am looking for a good home or a rescue in the Montreal area... I will drive them to Ontario if I need to... that can take them in. I've called the ones I know of, no one has the space for them. I don't want to bring them to the local SCDD as I don't think they keep them very long there before euthanizing them... and they'd be very stressed there.... I think I may be better off euthanizing them humanely at my vet then letting them stress out like that for their last few days! I am giving their cage on wheels along with several bags of unopened rabbit pellets with them... and if a rescue takes them, I can donate the food, litter and of course their cage as well as a financial donation for their care.... Please help... let me know of any rescues that may be willing to take them in whether it be in Ontario or Quebec.... Quebec rabbit rescue is apparently closing in April so they are not taking any in.... they are used to pouncing cats and dogs... we've got a cat and a shih tzu and they are not scared of them at all.. including when I find the cat perched on top of the cage staring at them.... they actually lick the cats paws when the cat reaches in at them... very friendly bunnies...
please help! Thank you!
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Please call Quebec Rabbit Rescue. I'm sure they'll be able to help. http://www.secourslapins.org/home_eng.html
Good luck
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I just wanted to add that I have a dog and cats, and my son was allergic to the rabbits we were fostering....however we later found out that it wasn't the rabbits....it was the hay....we needed to change the type of hay we used...once that was done , my son was fine....could your daughter have the same problem? Just a thought
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, I just read your whole thread...I didn;t realise that they were closing...sorry.
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM

HI, thanks... yes, we thought it was the hay as well because she has some seasonal allergies.. grass, pollen, that kind of thing... so we actually took the hay out for over a month and used towels on the bottom of the cage... with no luck, her symptoms didn't improve... So, we are in a dire situation... I was really hesitant to believe she was allergic to the rabbits as we have a dog (although it is a shih tzu) and we've always had 2 cats... she is fine with the cats and dog. But apparently it is more common than I thought.. I was actually speaking to a local lady who is not allergic to cats or dogs, only rabbits... just the other day!
And yes, unfortunately quebec rabbit rescue is closing, although I had contacted them several times over the months and they were always full and couldn't help me anyway. I found a rescue in St-Hyancinthe but they haven't replied to my message?? I will try them again to see... I keep hoping a rescue can help... it's hard to just turn them over to someone who replies to an ad on craigslist... I tried that and got several requests with some strange questions about them.. then I was told these people may want them for snake food!!!! OMG...
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't put them on Craigslist either at least not without an adoption fee.
Can your vet help out.
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:30 PM
-

There is this rabbit rescue listed in Ottawa, maybe you could try contacting them http://www.newmoonrabbitrescue.ca/
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

DO NOT PUT THESE RABBITS UP ON KIIJI OR CRAIGLIST. These little guys fall victim to saddists who will feed them to snakes etc. Also, rabbits and guinea pigs are abandoned very regularily - they are only kept for a short time and then dumped. Places are saturated with these little ones and they are very difficult to rehome. Please do your best to source out a rescue. If Ottawa takes them consider yourself very fortunate and drive them there. Good luck.
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I called ottawa rescue two weeks ago for a male very tame lop ear rabbit, they're full to the brim.........same scenario, allergic kid...