Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 7th, 2004, 01:03 AM

Red face Puggles

I have just purchased a puggle...pug/beagle cross...he is the cutest thing and so well behaved (so far)...training going well! When I bought him I was told that the mother was a pug and father a beagle....now since reading on the internet a "puggle" is defined as mother beagle breed with male pug, and he should have the tell tale "mask" on his face (which he doesn't, just black marking on nose)...now I'm confused, is this really a puggle?...Will it has more beagle traits?..When cross breeding, do the pups take on the fathers trait more then the mothers?...
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:42 AM

As far as traits, you never know. Its just like humans, you never know what your going to end up with your genes. Congrats on your pup.
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:01 AM

LOL, sorry, i thought Puggles was the name of your dog, not the "breed" of dog, cute name though. Where did you buy this pup? Perhaps the breeder will know the answers to this, as they should! Are you sure the mother was a pug? did you visit the kennel? I am thinking that perhaps whoever sold you this pup just got the breed of the parents mixed up. Since i am "thinking" a female pug wouldn't be able to give birth naturally to pups from a beagle, though i could be wrong. Give the breeder a call, they should be happy to answer any and all questions! Oh, and since this is a mixed breed, not having the mask means nothing, they have no set standards, or coat colour requirements.
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Just like any mixed breed dogs in the shelter that resulted from accidental breedings, there is no telling what you will end up with.
Old October 8th, 2004, 02:21 AM

my dog?

i think that i have one of those pug/beagles. At least that is what we were told of my son's new pet. My friend thinks that it is pug/daschung? What do you think?
Old October 10th, 2004, 06:14 PM

do you have a picture??
Old October 10th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

i thought you had baby wombats

that is really funny, when i saw the word puggles i thought we had another aussie on here. see a puggle is the term used for a wombat baby, before they grow hair, they are puggles. so you have a cute little wombat dog, yay.
Old October 10th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I wanna see wombat puppy pix!