Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old January 7th, 2006, 07:49 PM

Socializing two cats - Update

I posted her in November as I was trying to socialize my 13 year old resident female cat to a 4 year old male cat I got from a shelter. I was having problems because he was agressive and Kali (my female kitty) was timid. I'm pleased to say they are now getting along fine. Not great but fine. They have play sessions together with me but not alone. Kali is no longer running from him and he is no longer chasing her. Phew! I had him confined to a separate room at night right up until the Christmas week. Days he had been out only when someone was around to supervise. Now he is out all the time. Kali is slightly a little on edge because of it but handling it well. Simba (male kitty) is a much different cat overall. A lot of the agression has subsided and he's a sweet (but subborn) kitty. He doesn't bother Kali now but still likes to follow her and look at her once in awhile.

I just wanted to let everone know how it turned out. Patience does pay off. My mother in law kept telling me it was ridiculous that I was keeping him in a room for so long but I stuck to my guns and said I'd know when the time was right.
Old January 7th, 2006, 10:48 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Congrats on the progress, you have to feel like a complete superhero (I know I do anytime my 2 do something cool)

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Thanks. It does make me happy when I see the two of them getting along. Yesterday he gave her a little friendly lick on the head before breakfast and once in awhile they will snooze close to eachother but not touching.
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM

I had to open my big mouth and brag and now he's back to chasing her again and jumping on top of her roughly to try to mate. He was doing so well. Can't figure it out.