Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 25th, 2016, 06:15 PM

Cats Wont Eat Dry Food

I bought a big bag of Paws Up cat food.(it was on sale) The cats dont like it. Is there anyway I can flavour or spice it up. Id hate to see it go to waste.
Old October 25th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Try adding some canned food to it the dry food . But it not good to change a pet diet all at once , you mix a little of new food with their regular food slowly so they'll get use to the new food. This way you will also know if the new food agree with your pet. You have some very smart cats , I would buy a small bag of their regular food and slowly add the new dried food to it.
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A little bit of plain yogurt mixed in might tempt them to eat it. (Make sure it's plain yogurt with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners.)

Adding some canned cat food, as Barkingdog suggests, is also a very good idea. Wet food is a lot better for cats than dry, anyway, so making the addition a permanent thing would be a plus!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 26th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

It won't go to waste if you donate to a local shelter or humane society.

Many stores and food companies will take bags back if your critter won't eat the stuff.

Some folks feel cats shouldn't eat dry food, that they need the moisture in canned and don't drink enough water on their own when fed dry. I don't know if there is any scientific proof of this.
Old October 26th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

local shelter and humane society will not accept bags of pet food that been open already for safety reasons . The food could had been tampered with.
I tried to do this and I was told if the bag was open they can't take it.
Old October 27th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
local shelter and humane society will not accept bags of pet food that been open already for safety reasons . The food could had been tampered with.
I tried to do this and I was told if the bag was open they can't take it.
Oh gee, that's too bad. I can see the reasoning though, if they don't know you. The one I took to is around the corner from me, my neighbour. Maybe that's why they did, they know me and my dog, we did some training there. It's still worth asking about though.
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Oh gee, that's too bad. I can see the reasoning though, if they don't know you. The one I took to is around the corner from me, my neighbour. Maybe that's why they did, they know me and my dog, we did some training there. It's still worth asking about though.
Yeah maybe if the shelter know you they'll take the food . I know they'll get bags of pet food from grocery stores , some bags come in ripped and the store donate it to the city shelter where I shop.