Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM
One day at a time

I think he's lost it.

I had to take my boyfriend to the ER last Friday, so I dropped off my puppy at my parents house. They have a year old female boxer there, but they were well supervised. Anyways, my brother gave me this Star shaped pillow for the dog, so we brought it home. He is only ten weeks old but he is crazy for the pillow. I don't know if it is because it smells like the female Boxer, but he humps (is there a polite way to say this? ) the pillow like crazy. He gets so into what he is doing that he will howl and cry. If we put it up, he will sniff it out and cry till we give it back. If he is not rocking the Casba with that thing, he will lay on it and chew it ever so gently and just cry.

Is he pining for his Juliet, a love that was never meant to be (as she outweighs him by a good 90lbs)? Is this something I should be worried about? I can;t help but giggle a little. =P
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM

that's too good for a monday LOL I've always thought that was normal for a puppy. If you fix him it would probably stop. What kind of puppy?
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
One day at a time

He is 10 weeks and a miniature longhair daschund. We were planning on getting him fixed at 6 months, but I have read that there are some serious repercussions when it comes to neutering before he reaches sexual maturity.
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi View Post
He is 10 weeks and a miniature longhair daschund. We were planning on getting him fixed at 6 months, but I have read that there are some serious repercussions when it comes to neutering before he reaches sexual maturity.
Mounting usually means dominance, but at that age, and towards a pillow, it's not too much of a concern, should he hump/mount a human you will have to discourage him (it's rude disrespectful behavior towards a human), but what you desribed it doesn't seem too much of a concern. Dogs will do it to eachother, and some allow it, some don't, some don't care...my female and her female friends all take turns doing it to eachother...none of them take offense...it's like takign turns being the boss...hah!

There is alot of info on the proper age to spay/neuter your dog, do some research and make the descion that works best for you...what I found is that it's best done before they reach sexual maturity, both health and behavioral wise. As far as reprocusions...shelters and rescues fix very early on, and I think there are just as many reprocusions if you let them reach sexual maturity.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)

Last edited by Ford Girl; March 10th, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM
One day at a time

Alright, thanks!
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:46 PM

one of my uncles has a little pomeranian named bo and he has this sutffed animal bear that is like four times his size that he drags around and humps occasionally. hes had it for years and just violates it whenever he feels the need. it could quite be one of the most hilarious things youll ever see. its soooo funny and hes like 6 years old...

maybe some dogs just find love in the wrong places... hahaha
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I would not be concerned. He is still young. Some animals will hump now and then even post neuter especially if their operation was at a late age. You can actually buy stuffed toys for this very purpose. I kid you now!
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I could not find any quickly but I am sure an Pet store has them. I did find this though, lol
http://www.hump-doggy-dog.com/