Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Is polysporin safe for cats to lick?

Bunduk just gave me another scare (cant i have a break??) . I was looking at him and realized one (only one) of his pupils is dilated. Since its still daytime his left eye is slit like (normal) while the right one is round. I tried to take a pic but it just wont come out properly. Then I noticed above that eye his fur is a little pink, which makes me think he just had a bit of a rough n tumble with Onnie. I cant see an actual wound but pink = blood = there must be a nick there somewhere

Can I put polysporin on it?

Oh and after I took a few pics I guess the flash mustve caused the one eye to undilate some so its not as pronounced as before but still not normal. He is acting normal tho...

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Pics

I just uploaded these...not very clear but I think you can still kinda see what Im talking about. Unfortunately he was moving and the flash also causes the pupils to constrict anyway.

The eye on the left in pic is more dilated. More pronounced b4 I took the pics of course.
Name:  Eyes.jpg
Views: 11701
Size:  16.4 KB

Name:  Eyes2.jpg
Views: 11674
Size:  14.4 KB

By this pic Id taken a few ones that he turned his head or it just came out as a blur and both his eyes became slit like but I think u can still see the one on the left is slightly more dilated.
Name:  Eyes3.jpg
Views: 11644
Size:  25.7 KB

Old April 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Polysporin eye drops are 100 percent safe on cats. I frequently use them on my foster kittens to keep their eyes clean from all the clawing they do to eachother during play.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM
-

Polysporin is safe for cats. Is it the owie above his eye that you want to put it on? If so, he wouldn't be able to lick off much anyway.
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Are his eyes still unequally reactive, onster? If they're still like that tomorrow, I'd sure try to get him into the vet for a quick exam. that it clears up by morning!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry I always seem to post and disappear!

My bro had stomache flu and I was his personal nurse (aka slave) for a while

Bunduks eyes were back to normal the next day. He has a scab over his eye (the owie that got the polysporin on it) but other than that he's A-Ok!

Oh and he did eat it. first thing he did was use his paws to groom his face

Old April 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM
-

Glad to hear that our little Bunduk is back to normal.

Hope little bro is feeling better and that you don't come down with his flu now.
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Lil Bro does not seem to have a lot of good karma floating around him these days!

I hope he's feelin' better now.

And I'm glad to hear that Bunduk is back to normal! How are his teeth and gums doing? Are you still getting a reprieve from nomming?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys

Sorry I kinda disappeared on you. My dad was supposed to be arriving today but turns out we somehow got something mixed up and he's arriving on Sunday (and after all that cooking!!!) .

On top of that now my mom is sick :sad: with a nasty cold so Ive been tending to her. I also have a bit of a sore throat coming on.....baaah.

Anyhoo, to answer ure question hazel, Bunduks gums are still a bit red but when he yawns I dont see that vibrant red all over his gums I used to see. I know its better but its not totally gone..the antibiotics are finished. I should take another yawn picture and post it/ compare it the older pic. Its hard to really tell when you see his gums day in and day out.

I have to admit Ive been a bit slacking brushing his teeth. It was kinda easier when he was drugged up I will get on it though.

As for nomming...he hasnt nommed anything ye t but weve kinda become expert at not leaving anything nommable out. He does still nom on my fingers tho...like when I pet him he will sniff my finger then nom gently at first, then he shifts my finger to his molars and I best get my fingers outta there real quick lol

Time will tell

Thanks for checking up on him guys