Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 18th, 2004, 04:41 AM

Adopted Tibetan - Separation issues

I have recently taken on a 2 1/2yr old male Tibetan Terrier, recently being in the last four days... his owner came to me as I have a Tibetan Terrier and she thought I would and could take him on and love him... which I have... she gave him up because he was too hyper (though evidence of this 'hyperactivity' I am still waiting for) what I have found about him is that he has serious issues about being left alone (though he is never alone was my Ceide (Tibetan) and Holly (Maltese) are with him)

... he cries, whimpers and barks non stop until you come back in - I've tried leaving him in the kitchen or back for short periods two minutes, five minutes, 20mins and up to one hour but he doesn't calm down until this hour has past and even that that if you leave again for a few minutes and even stand on the other side of the glass door or go upstairs he starts up again...

I thought this might be why his ex owner gave him up... though when I rang her and asked her out straight while reassuring her that I was not giving him back or giving him up... she claims that he was left alone from 9-5 every day and he never had a problem with it...

Can you give me some idea on how I can solve this problem and if its just a settling in issue or a general separation anxiety issue...

He is also drooling (which my other tibetan doesn't do) and his eyes are weeping - could this be because of his op (she got him neutered the day before she brought him to me... ) or something more serious... I called the vet and have made an appointment for Wednesday night (tomorrow)to get his stitches out but I just thought I should ask about it while I was here... any advice or help on this would be much appreciated...
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

This is the way I see it. This is an adult dog who taken and neutered, then immediately removed from what I presume is the only home he ever knew and his family, and sent to live with strangers.

It's only been 4 days and I think his anxiety is normal. There is an adjustment period after adopting dogs and it takes time for them to understand they are now home.

What is very important and will help him feel secure is to have a reliable schedule, so for now don't leave randomly for differing periods of time as this is increasing his anxiety. Feed, walk, play with and try to leave at the same time every day until he is confident that he knows what to expect next.

Right now he doesn't know if you will come back when you leave, but in time he will and should settle down. He didn't carry on in his old home because he was confident that he knew that his owner would come back and he was in familiar surroundings.

In other words, he has lost everything and everyone he knew and loved, so I think his upset is understandable.

Just be patient and understanding, and he'll come around for sure!

I don't know about the eyes but the vet visit is a good idea.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Thank you Lucky, my mum and my little boy are home with him now and are doing just what you said.. I work 12pm-4pm so she is taking over the duties while I am out. I live with my parents still so its almost like the Waltons their is so many people there (7 people, 3 dogs and a tortoise who has free reign of downstairs).

I'm still in shock about how his old owner has abandoned him like that straight after the operation - she said she got him neutered to calm him down but she never even gave it a chance! So he lost his manhood and his home all within 24hrs... so I can understand how he is feeling distraught and confused... but he has come to a good home filled with animal lovers and will have more than abundant love, fun and happiness and will make thousands of new memories with us... hopefully more pleasant than the ones his old owner has left him with!

How long do you think it will be before he is settled in he is clinging to me more than the others I think that is because I am the one who spent the first day with him... while I was in bed he decided to take my jumper from the wash basket and put it in his bed (a new bed I got him as the 'bed' she had in the box with him was only a dirty ripped baby blanket!)... my mum says he has been rolling in it and walking around with it since I left at lunch time! Awh bless!
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Absolutely LR you said it very well.

This poor dog has had his life turned upside down in a multitude of ways.

Show him a lot of love and give him a schedule. Same time for walks, feeding etc... start some minor obedience training. Dogs that are trained and follow your command as alpha feel safer and are less stressed.

Do some great walks in the park, give him some favourite toys. Try not to leave him alone too long. Separation anxiety can cause distructive behaviour and be stressful for you and him.

Thank you for saving this life and for coming on here to share your story!!

Never ever use negative reinforcement on him IE shouting at him , raising your hand, stomping feet, never ever hit him or scold him negatively.

Never console him when he is doing negative behaviour. Even eye contact gives him the wrong message, wrong type of attention.

Better to just keep him busy and active, poop him out with love and exercise and lots of yummie treats when you do obedience drills.

Sit,down, down stay, come

I would LOVE to see some pics of your baby!!

Above all have patience and understanding!! This will take some time
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:43 AM

... toys are another thing Taz didn't have when he was with his old owner and now he has come to my house and their are more toys than there is space! Unfortunately he doesn't seem to know how to play with them! I'm working on it with him but he seems afraid even if you put them near him and looks at you as if he is about to get in trouble! So he has me on the floor rolling around with toys in my mouth and my Holly and Ceide diving on me and trying to get him to join in... he is looking curiously on but still won't join in though I'll keep trying...

I have a trainer (Julie) who has helped me in the past with my other little ones and she has me on a strict training diet of positive reinforcement and word association for my dogs, everything from down, deck, sit, stay, roll over, play, to belly (and they let you rub their belly) kiss, hugs and settle - the girls have learned this words and their meanings through me saying them again and again while I do the action and they do the action and I have trained them to do them when I say it without them even realising it! Taz knows sit and stay but he is quickly learning kisses! (he he) I'm going to work on the fun and affection ones first and move to the serious stuff later (its probably backwards but I want to build up this confidence and his trust in me)

I'll post pictures of him and the girls later tonight when I get home - the two girls are in full coat but once again Taz doesn't have one he was shaved to the skin practically (a very bad home DIY job if you ask me!) because she never groomed him and he got so matted and bit her if she put a brush to him ... em I would have bit her too! its not his fault for trying to bite her he was probably so matted it was sore to touch! I've brushed him through twice a day since he arrived and he hasn't even batted an eyelid at me for it! and I'm going to try and keep him in the habit of it now.

Thanks again for your advice!
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:00 AM

ok nothing to do with the situation - just a great big coincindence - i know of 3 rescue dogs called taz - mine included...
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor guy! Not only was he dumped, but was obviously neglected prior to being dumped. Dogs labelled "Hyper" are usually just under-exercised and/or ignored dogs who have no outlet for their energy.

He is one lucky boy to have found such a great and loving home. In a month's time, with what you are doing with him, you'll have a new dog!