Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Dog books - cat books - pet books

Old November 22nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog

Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog by Wendy Volhard and Kerry Brown, D.V.M gives really good, if not extremely in depth, overviews of various alternative therapies, including kinesiology, homeopathy, iridology, chiropratic and five element theory (from traditional chinese medicine, including accupuncture, but not touching on the use of chinese herbs), which is, along with homeopathy, the modalities written most at length about.

Diet and nutritional supplementation is gone into pretty extensively, and although I personally wouldn't follow exactly the recipes included in the book, the ideas on holistic feeding and the info on supplements is really good.

What really makes this book a great reference, and worth buying even if the you already have an understanding of various types of medicines which exceed the scope of this book, are the various reference charts.

Various bodily systems are addressed and presented with charts to help understand blood work or other testing related to these areas.

A chart of various conditions and treatment options from each of the appropriate practices covered in the book is really helpful and includes some things I haven't found in various other 'holistic dog health' books.

Vitamin and mineral charts, including lists of what foods they're found in, their uses and signs of deficiency was fascinating to me, but ofcourse, I'm a geek like that.

There's also a pretty good resource list, which I'd probably like a whole lot more if I lived in the U.S.

So yeah, good book, great, easy to read and understand reference material, but more of an "intro" book on various "alternative therapies" than an in depth exploration of each. I sort of think it makes a good companion to Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats as, although there is some overlap, it covers a lot of what Pitcairn doesn't and is very much the same style or level of book.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Young at Heart

Sounds interesting - I'll have a look at it 'cause I'm always on the lookout for good dog reference books - and a holistic one would be a bonus!
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
-

This was one of my introduction books to a natural diet and holistic way of caring for dogs. I found it very useful as an introduction and occasionally refer to it even today.

The diet was not for me (too grain-heavy and dependent on supplements) and I am definitely in the suspicious camp on Willard's Water but I found the book an easy-to-understand and thoughtful introduction to, what was for me, a different approach to health care and nutrition.
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Young at Heart

I've just ordered the book - should be here in about a week and I'm sure looking forward to reading it!
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
The diet was not for me (too grain-heavy and dependent on supplements) and I am definitely in the suspicious camp on Willard's Water but I found the book an easy-to-understand and thoughtful introduction to, what was for me, a different approach to health care and nutrition.
I totally agree about the diets, and kind of think the same of the recipes in the Pitcairn book, but the explanations of various supplements I found really interesting, as well as the chart of which foods contain which vit/minerals.

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried the kinesiology thingamadoo?
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:15 PM
-

No, I haven't. I just don't believe in it. You?
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
No, I haven't. I just don't believe in it. You?
No, I don't really know what to think about it. I suppose I'll have to just try it and see