Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 19th, 2005, 06:16 PM
<-----nut ball

Air conditioning help

I need some help understanding AC.

AC removes humidity right?

Well..our apartment is still warm, but not humid. If we open the windows at night when it's cooler, it just makes our apartment warmer, because the humidity seeps in, then it takes longer to get it out again (our AC sucks).

I feel bad because we have had the AC on 24/7 for a few weeks because it is the only way our apartment stays manageable (even with it on 24/7, it's about 28C/80F in here, but low humidity which makes it ok-ish). I know that it's better to open the windows at night and let cool air in, but then the next day it gets too hot in here from all the humidity that was let in.

So...do I have this all right? Anyone got any other suggestions for making it cooler in here? We have all curtians pulled, and I turn off EVERYTHING each night (I even unplug basically ALL appliances but fridge and my alarm clock, and our fans). We don't use the stove/oven, only the microwave to cook.
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Leave the A/C on at night until this humidity passes. You have no choice really.

We'll get through it!
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Unfortunetly it sounds like keeping the AC on is your only choice. Just be glad it's not really hot like here. here in houston it sometimes gets over 100 F with 100 percent humidity. It's BAD, it almost never gets below 95 here in the summer, night or day.

When I lived in PA we didn't have AC, but it only got about 98 F never really any higher and it cooled off at night so it wasn't so bad. Since we moved to Houston we've had to keep our AC on 24 hours a day. We usually use our AC from March to November. In the winter it never goes below 30 F and rarely ever gets that far down. So we basically trade your cold cold winters for our hot hot summers, which last way too long.

Hopefully it starts to cool off soon. Just relax and try to stay cool.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:31 AM

The only thing you can do is raise the temp of the A/C. If you have it at 20 degrees, raise it to 22. We also close the bathroom and office doors too, so you only air condition the most essential parts.
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:34 AM

Yeah I'm with Jackie on this one... We run our A/C 24 hours.. If we try to turn it off when it cools down for a couple of hours then it has to work extra hard for HOURS to get everything cooled off again and it never seems to catch up. Keep the cool air in at night - maybe turn the thermostat up a couple of degrees at night -- but by all means -- leave it on!!!

We also are spared the winters though.. So it's not quite as horrific to run the A/C.. We trade off in the winter when we barely ever ever turn on the heat and the windows are open almost every night.

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:38 AM

ya, here in the winter, we pay for heating. We also pay to repair the rust on our cars from the salt. We buy snow tires and shovels. And we buy winter jackets. Why do I live here again?
Old July 20th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I have a de-humidifier, and I find that helps alot, but with this heat wave, nothing but A/C will make a difference!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
ya, here in the winter, we pay for heating. We also pay to repair the rust on our cars from the salt. We buy snow tires and shovels. And we buy winter jackets. Why do I live here again?
LOL! I know exactly where you're coming from!! When it's 30 below and the wind is blowing 40 miles an hour (making the wind chill about 50 below) I always ask myself why I live in Wyoming. I was in Subway the other day and was talking to the sandwich lady. We were laughing because it has been sooooo hot here lately (over 95 almost every day for about 2 weeks) and everyone is complaining about the heat - but in the middle of winter all you ever hear is people wishing for the heat and swearing that they'll never complain in the summer again!

Since it's so dry here, we don't have A/C really, we have swamp coolers so that they actually put some moisture back into the air along with the coolness. I also have ceiling fans in my house and they run pretty much all the time in the summer.
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:47 PM

To tell you the truth, I complain in the summer, but never in the winter. I'm a winter kinda girl.
Old July 20th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Okay MY A/C JUST FRIED!!

There is water all over the basement floor and we're waiting for a tech to call which will in this heat wave take probably a WEEK!!

So, I am warning you I am cranky, miserable in fact!! NO A/C and I have a migraine...there are five huge hydro trucks outside my house replacing wires,...hydro off and on ALL DAY! Loud trucks stinky diesel smell and not very attractive workers or I wouldn't complain (LOL)

I think it's something THEY did, they surged my a/c it was FINE this morning.

Hmmmmn huff puff

Calm down Luba, you're making the air warmer HAHAHA!

OH just strangle me now and get it over with! BEAM ME UP BEAM ME UP!!
Is it cooler up there???
Old July 20th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Well, ya. Of course it's cooler up there. Only losers go downstairs.
Old July 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well I'm about to 'loose it'

But I don't want to go down there u know I have a thing about being around irritating men who think they're 'hot stuff'
Old July 20th, 2005, 02:55 PM

LOL You have a thing about being around irritating everythings. Go say, "Can I help?" and when they say no, say, "Well, if you're not done in 10 minutes, I'm gonna get my tools."

Did you have a surge protector?
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Luba,

The same thing just happened to a friend of mine. In their case the hose was blocked. They took a vet vac and sucked out the blockage and their A/C ran fine afterwards.

It's the long hose that goes from the furnace to the floor drain that you need to clean out.

Good luck!
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

DANIAC

Thank you I'm heading to the basement right now

EW what could be plugged in there going to look right now

THANK YOU
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Ew yeah.. that happens a lot down here. We have to put 1/2 cup of pure bleach in the drain hose at least once a month or it will back up - flood the house - and kill the a/c. It's algae, Luba. Nasty grey fuzzy stuff that doesn't look like algae at all but they tell us that it is... It actually looks like dead frogs. And smells much worse. WOOO! And these dead stinky algae frogs are responsible for your suffering! Take the dog clippers to 'em!

Old July 20th, 2005, 03:28 PM

We don't have a hose. Is that why we have a bucket?
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:29 PM

A bucket? I don't know. If I didn't have a hose I'd definitely have a bucket. Er.. well actually we don't have hoses either - they clog too quickly in our weather.. we have pipes...

Old July 20th, 2005, 03:31 PM

My ac drips into a bucket and every 8 hours, we have to empty it. Keeps the muscles strong, you know? Life can't always be easy.
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
My ac drips into a bucket and every 8 hours, we have to empty it. Keeps the muscles strong, you know? Life can't always be easy.
What kind of AC do you have? Window unit or central?

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old July 20th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Wow. That requires work. I feel lazy now. Our hose/pipes run outside the house so it drips out there if it really wants to... but then it all evaporates so quickly you never know it was there...

Old July 20th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear that Luba,I hope they get it working again..
We've had our a/c on for almost 2 weeks 24/7,but I keep it on 26C,or I'll freeze,I hate to freeze in the summer
Today I believe the humidity blew away,I even had my windows open..and it was nice,but the a/c is back on again...it's +30C.
We have a dehumidifier down-stairs and it's amazing how much water comes out of the air...
Old July 20th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
What kind of AC do you have? Window unit or central?
Heh heh.. It's a hybrid. When we moved into this house last month, there was a beautiful, HUGE gaping hole in the wall, that happened exactly the right size for our a/c. So it's a permanent window a/c... (There's just enough room for spiders to come in on the sides... )
Attached Images

Old July 20th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Heh heh.. It's a hybrid. When we moved into this house last month, there was a beautiful, HUGE gaping hole in the wall, that happened exactly the right size for our a/c. So it's a permanent window a/c... (There's just enough room for spiders to come in on the sides... )
I thought window AC actually dripped outside??
as for the spiders getting in, try duct tape (my answer to just about everything!! )

Old July 20th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well I just got through sucking a load of crud outta the line with the shop vac and cleaning the air filter while i was at it.

HOPEfully that will do because it seems to be drying up...a lot actually!

I am very happy right now and we turned the AC back on and so far on for 20mins and okay.

THANK YOU so much for that suggestion!!!! I was attempting / contemplating to do it but with the migraine today I wanted to put it off haha! However right now it looks like it's okay!

The tech did call back and was nice enough to say he'd come out for free but we may be okay w/o him coming.

Our hose empties into a bucket too because our sink was redone and it didn't drain into it anymore. BUT just now I hooked up a hose to the end of it and put it right into the floor drain in the laundry room.

It's half arsed done but it's working HAHAH so far!

So thanks for the boot in the rear Daniac you may just have saved me atleast 100 bux or more!
Old July 20th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
I thought window AC actually dripped outside??
as for the spiders getting in, try duct tape (my answer to just about everything!! )
Ya, it drips outside, into a bucket. If you think this hole in the wall is bad, you should see my foundation!! We try to keep the slightest drips away from it...
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:12 PM

Glad I could help Luba!

Hopefully this is all you need to do to keep it working! And now you can spend the money you saved on treats for the furkids!
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Or a treat for YOU ...thank you

It's still working great by the way!
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:44 PM

That's great! It's too dang hot to be without A/C!
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Ya, it drips outside, into a bucket. If you think this hole in the wall is bad, you should see my foundation!! We try to keep the slightest drips away from it...
Why not have it drip into one of those rain runs that directs the water away, or attach a hose to the bottom of the bucket and away from the house? That should keep your foundation dry, and you don't have to keep draining the bucket.