Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old October 25th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Good news from my State in Oz

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...023-1me43.html
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

GF, that is wonderful news! Now if only the rest of the world would follow suit! I LOVE the fact that they are allowed to seize the assets/property. It not only gives incentive for the puppy mills to think twice if everything they have is taken, but it also gives more incentive for those who are able to confiscate the assests to stay on top of it. They did the same thing in certain parts of the states with drug dealers many, many years ago. Of course, there will always be those who think they are smarter/above the law, and some will continue to get away with it. But I can see this making a big dent in the mills in your area. Hopefully Canada and the U.S. will hop on board.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG that's great news....I sure hope it follows in North America.
Old October 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

It would be great if our country was that strict on animal laws. to you guys. We have similar stuff as that for proceeds of crime and now street racing here in BC. It's great when these snot head kids race and dad's $250,000. ferrari gets confiscated! Why can't they be that tough on people who abuse animals?
Old October 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

My friend Vivien read something to me from a newspaper in her State and I'm sure she said that fines for animal cruelty here could go up to $146,000!! She's hoping this comes in in her State too. She's one of those lovely people by the way who harrass Pet Shop owners every chance she gets if pups or kittens aren't being cared for properly. I did not vote for our Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu by the way but I've liked what I've seen of him and after this he has my vote for sure. DD, they confiscate hoon cars here too and I'm not sure on the laws but I think the cars get crushed if the hoons are caught racing too often.
Robyn, I have a friend who got a dog from a puppy farmer(bad enough) and she was telling me how this person's property was raided(yay!!) and a number of dogs were 'stolen'. (What?!) I very quickly told her to get her thinking right, that the dogs were RESCUED, not stolen! And now, seeing those conditions must have been bad, this puppy farmer must be shaking in her shoes. I've no doubt the RSPCA and Animal Rights people have a list they can start on the minute this Act is passed. Doing a happy dance here, with a big smile on my face.