Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 25th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

adoption process

Sorry but..........

Why is it necessary for some places to ask for your landlords name and number? Is my word not good enough? I have lived here with all my critters Dogs cats .....and oh yes chicks and hens came yesterday what a thrill.
Just because I want to adopt a new dog because my best friend is now deceased, does this mean my landlord gets to know via his phone ringing off the hook for potential adoptors?
I undersstand the need to know but I already have dogs?
Has anyone here not allowed an adoption because of this?
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Sometimes your word isn't enough. If you get the dog, and the landlord just suddenly decides that he will issue a "no pets" in where you live, you'll end up moving out, or returning the pet. Its annoying, but nessesary.

As for not allowing adoption, I don't think that would happen unless the shelter finds the person trying to adopt lacking in some area, has pets that won't get along or young children the pet wouldn't be able to take, or, of course, if the landlord said no. If they want to adopt out a pet, they can't say no to all the potential adopters that want to adopt a pet. There would be no pets being adopted then.
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, it's necessary to have the permisson of your landlord. People lie all the time - you would be surprised at how dishonest people are when they want to either adopt, or dump their animals.

If someone expects a rescue to take their word for that they are allowed to have another pet, and then the landlord orders it out - what happens to that dog or cat? It's abandoned again.

Unless the person you are trying to adopt from knows you personally, they really have no reason to believe you.

The whole point is to get the animal the best, permanent home possible, and if someone's feelings get hurt in the process, that really cannot be helped.

It's all about the animals.