Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

View Poll Results: What kind of dog should i get?
Presa Canario 0 0%
American Bulldog 2 40.00%
Bull Terrier 1 20.00%
Doberman 1 20.00%
Poodle/Mastiff/Pug/Great Dane Mix HAHAHA!!! 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26th, 2011, 11:19 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
I have a friend that lives in Toronto and he bought a Cane Corso from a guy. His dogs "accidentally bred" and he sold them. I told my friend I had a bad feeling about this pup but I could not talk him out of not buying it. The pup grew fast and big. The pup had a seizure and bit my friend up by the throat. Another inch and the main artery would have been severed. He had the pup checked out at the guelph hospital and thousands of dollars later..no answers. A few week went by and the dog had another episode. He was confined to a room and attacked everything in there. They had to put him down..My Friend was devastated. He has always had rotties so he was used to big dogs. Because of the pit bull ban in Ontario, we will be seeing more of these dogs cropping up. These are a lot bigger and a lot more stronger than a pit.
Yep, something I would absolutely be worried about, even with a friend of a friend. We don't want to see any innocent people, dogs, cats, children etc caught up in any situations like this I've heard my fair share of stories like this too. My first dog came from a BYB because my god fathers friend was breeding rotties and he bought one for me (when I was a TODDLER!@!!@#) and she had hip problems from day one, put about $10,000 into all kinds of surgeries and PT. She had anger issues... She never bit me though, only maybe 2 or 3 times accident nips when playing with a tug of war toy or something, but looking back that situation could have turned ugly very quickly.. We put her down when she was 7. I always dread when I see people stuck in the same situations because it is very tough on everyone involved!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:24 PM

I love this breed with all my heart but like everyone said just becareful. There are more bad breeders than good in this breed, Canada is well known for having the worst lines for EPI, Neuroligical, Physically unhealthy lines and the people that started it all are still breeding the dogs that carry these issues. Denying that their dogs have these issues or cause them in the puppies and people still continue to buy them

Danae de Italica Terrae (Cane Corso) ~ 2 years
U2 de Italica Terrae (Cane Corso) ~ 4 years
Black Shadow's Sequoia ~ 16 mths
Black Shadow's Rowan ~ 16 mths
VonBrenden's Golden Cyrus (Rottweiler) ~ 8 years
Raine (Domestic Shorthair) ~ 11 years
Hi-Jinx (Domestic Shorthair) ~ 5 years

http://www.blackshadowcanecorso.com/

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Formerly Bastien

Yeah i understand what everyone is saying, in probably going to put this idea of a new dog on HOLD for now...

I would like to thank you all for helping me and commenting
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Hey Bastien,

I agree with a lot of the posters comment about the Cane Corso. I myself have one. Hes currently 11mths old and from what I can see was probably a runt because hes just over 80lbs which is small for corso but they do not fully mature until about 18mths so still some growing to do. I got him from a rescue - again thanks to BenMax.

Some things to consider with these guys is that they can be stubborn/hard-headed and will need a strong personality to deal with them. You need consistency in your training and it has to be everyday because if you give them a finger they will take your arm. :P

I've spent quite an $$ money on training and have seen amazing progress and the training never ends, these guys are working dogs and need to be challenged everyday.

If you do decide to get one in the future, please consider rescue and please do your research on the breed. There's LOTS of information out there and GOOD resources to help you out.
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Formerly Bastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by becmonchu View Post
Hey Bastien,

I agree with a lot of the posters comment about the Cane Corso. I myself have one. Hes currently 11mths old and from what I can see was probably a runt because hes just over 80lbs which is small for corso but they do not fully mature until about 18mths so still some growing to do. I got him from a rescue - again thanks to BenMax.

Some things to consider with these guys is that they can be stubborn/hard-headed and will need a strong personality to deal with them. You need consistency in your training and it has to be everyday because if you give them a finger they will take your arm. :P

I've spent quite an $$ money on training and have seen amazing progress and the training never ends, these guys are working dogs and need to be challenged everyday.

If you do decide to get one in the future, please consider rescue and please do your research on the breed. There's LOTS of information out there and GOOD resources to help you out.
Thanks ill make sure to remeber this.
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:23 AM
owned by a BRT

I haven't waded through the replies but
(and no offence here)...

I'll refrain from even commenting on the "King Doberman" but,
if you feel the need to create a poll,
further extensive reading along with
a serious re-think would seem to be in order -
before you get in over your head!!!