Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 1st, 2004, 05:34 PM

Dog snorting - Answered by Dr. Slome

My 5 yr old lab has begun"snorting" or Sneezing..she is eating well, energetic and her regular self accept for this snorting. In the past she ha a mass cell tumor surgically removed 2 yrs ago with no reoccurance. ANy chance she could have one in her nasal cavity?
We live in the east and the flowers and pollen are well in bloom could it be a new oonset: allergies? Any recommendations?
Thank you
Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:20 AM

The exact same thing happened to my little staffy, she had been running aroud in all the fresh long grass and suddenly started choking - snorting etc, eating fine, completely healthy - overreative me rushed her straight to the vet - under anashaetic they found a grass seed in her soft pallet that probably would have worked itself out anyway - i would take her to the vets for a check in case it is something more serious though.#

Claire
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Allergies in dogs don't usually manifest the way they do in us - sneezing, etc.

Dogs usually itch if allergies are present. Since your dog has a history of cancer, I would take her to be checked out, just to be on the safe side.

Here's hoping she is fine!!
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Here in Calif. foxtails are a danger to dogs. Snorting and sneezing can be a sign. They don't come out by themselves. If there are foxtails that your dog might have gotten into, the vet can help him.
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Administrator

I am assuming that the mast cell tumour was located on the skin? If so, it is not common for them to suddenly appear in the nasal passages. They do sometimes reoccur on the skin and in some cases can be malignancies that spread to the internal organs, but this is not common in my experience.

Most allergies that dogs do encounter are usually skin related. Dogs gets skin problems from allergies as commonly as people encounter bronchitis and allergies. Allergic sinusitis or rhinitis may exist by themselves but more often there will also be signs of skin itching eg chewing at the feet, scratching around the face and ears and then other parts of the body. Smog may also play a role in upper resp. problems as in people.

There is also the very common condition called a 'reverse sneeze' which may fit the description here - a gasp/snort inwardly through the nostrils and may last for a couple of minutes. This is a sinus spasm to put it simply, possibly caused by a tickle in the nose or pollutants or allergies.

My recommendation would be to try using a benign antihistamine - commonly benedryl at 1 caplet per 25-50 lbs is used 2-3 x daily. This can be used for a week and if there is no improvement and it is causing some distress to your dog, or you, have her checked out by your regular Veterinarian.

Martin Slome DVM

Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street
Units 40-42
Thornhill, On.
L4J 7Y3
Tel: (905) 771-9855