Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 29th, 2016, 02:01 PM

Wet Flatulance

My senior dog has had softish poop for a while. It is formed okay, but hard to pick up. Fecal test showed no worms nor giardia.

So, we added pumpkin which helped a little. But, last Wednesday I noted a tiny amount of soft wet poop on his bed. It seemed like he passed gas and unknowingly also passed poop (perhaps a teaspoon). Does this happen?

Our vet put him on FortiFlora probiotic and metronidazole (antibiotic) on Friday morning. The working theory is bad bacteria in his gut.

There was a nasty smell like rotting fish near his backside. I suspected anal glands were impacted due to soft poop, but they were okay per our vet. So, I surmise, the smell must have been caused by bacteria in his gut. The stench went away (replaced with a new smell - that of fermenting lawn clippings) after starting the Metronidazole, but the loose stool did not get better, and seemed a bit worse.

Since the poop stayed the same or got somewhat worse (after 2.5 days), the vet decided to change the antibiotic (which may have been working, but caused a separate reaction). So...now (as of last night) he is on Tylan/Tylosin (antibiotic) and also on a bland diet (overcooked rice and boiled chicken breast).

This morning there was only a small poop despite his trying....which might be good if it means the bland diet is moving slowly, and therefore will be less wet. Were there more poop, I would take it in just to re-test.

I hope the Tylan and change in diet help him.

My question - Is this wet flatulence something that happens with bacteria caused diarrhea? It's happened the last 3-4 nights at the same time, 2-3 AM. Always, a teaspoon or so of poop (and perhaps some liquid around it). Our vet seems pretty certain this is a bacterial issue, and suggests further testing if it does not resolve. But, I am mystified by this wet flatulence. We've never had this happen before.
Old August 29th, 2016, 07:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know but, I wonder if digestive enzymes might help? Digestion falters when we get old, dogs and people. Might help, ask your Vet? We used Rxzymes for a serious diarrhoea in a young dog, it helped.
Old August 30th, 2016, 12:37 PM

Thanks....I will definitely ask about the enzymes.
Old September 26th, 2016, 05:57 PM

Follow Up

Just wanted to follow-up, in case someone sees this in future for a similar issue.

After lots of testing that came negative, including ultrasound, we re-did blood work which showed a form pancreatitis (he did not have all the classic symptoms, other than soft stool). I had put him on a high quality but low carb food (Ziwipeak) because I was worried about something else 5-6 years ago, and the fat was too much for his pancreas to keep up with. So excess fat was not being absorbed (due to lack of pancreatic enzyme), causing soft stools, and pancreatic inflammation, which then made it harder to get enzymes into his intestine.

I found a good low fat food (Honest Kitchen Zeal) and poops firmed up in 24 hours. We will re-test blood in a couple weeks.