Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old December 9th, 2009, 05:04 AM

Cat Extremely unwell

hi all,

i have a female cat around the age of 13-14, she's always been in good health over the years,but sadly over the past 3-4 weeks she's taking a turn for the worst.

about 3-4 weekends ago she seemed to have cat flu in our opinion, in mainly sleeping and not budging at all out of her basket which she loves! we were enitly very worried although after 4days she seemed all of a sudden fine and back to her usual self.

we did notice she was slowly finding it harder to use her back legs on jumping onto surfices such as computer chairs/beds but we put this down to the fact she's getting older

she then shrank in size quite fast, in that she felt boney and looked skinny underneath at the back end of her body and slowly losing her apperatite for food (and boy she'd eat anything in large quanties before)

at the start of the weekend she has started returning more to her basket and settling down for hours upon hours, she drinks hell of a lot recently so we moved a water pot for her right next to her bed. her back legs have deterated alot over this period in that she looks like stumbling every time she walks now.

she unfortently pee'd on our bed at the weekend and in her bed slightly late on sunday, she did go outside for first time yesterday very briefly which we was glad to see.

but her stomach seems to be getting bigger over the past few days even though she isn't eating in masses whilst her back still feels skinny/boney and more in the neck area/top of back now

she still seemed quite happy in herself at times having fusses whenever she's up out of her basket and still purrs alot

but we're trying hold out on taking her to the vets until the end of the week as we fear the worst

any advice or any suggestions what the problems could be with her?? i have a feeling it's going to be something serious like her kidneys unfortently

much appreciated and sorry with the essay above

Last edited by wolves27; December 9th, 2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I'm a softy

I am sorry, but what does not taking her to the vet do? Going to the vet is not what makes the illness real, it is real now, there is no one here that can diagnose your cat, or tell you what to do. Your cat is not that old, and it could have started as something minor. The symptoms your cat has are very serious, just letting her be to me seems borderline cruel. If your child was that sick, would you take them to the doctor, or would you leave them in that state. Please get to the vet asap so she can be treated, she relies on you, she really needs you to take her.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I second what luvmylab posted. Your cat needed a vet 4 weeks ago.

There is no way we can diagnose a cat over the internet, we are not vets.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:54 AM

hi, thank you for your reply,

the main worry is over here in the uk, very often in these circumstances the pets are sadly put down!

our cat has shown signs over the past few days of improvement as well as moments she has shown as weakening in the back legs too

our main thoughts are obviously with the cat and trying to ensure she's not in pain but also trying to give her as long as possible in this stage,

we're just trying to give her a chance to turn the corner (no matter how slim the chance is) before taking her on that dreaded trip to the vets. we're watching her closely over the next few days and if she deterates we're taking her in immediatedly, if she the same on tommorow/or tonight and if she makes any more signs of improvement we're still take her in over the weekend
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Cats can hide their pain so well, that you won't realize there is a problem until it is too late. It sounds like your cat is giving many clues that something is wrong.

As for being PTS, that is your choice, not the vets. You are the cat's guardian, do what is best for the cat, not you.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Please take your cat to the vet TODAY. Think of how horrible you're going to feel when you find out this is a totally treatable disease (like oh, maybe diabetes or hyperthyroid) and you could have saved your cat unnecessary suffering, or even saved her LIFE. As cats age (and yes, your cat could still have many years ahead of her with proper care), it's our responsibility to make sure they go for regular check-ups and that when anything is "off", we get them prompt veterinary attention.

Let us know what the vet says. There are plenty of people on this board that have tons of experience with all sorts of feline health issues and may be able to help you with treatment plans, etc.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Please take your cat to the vet TODAY. Think of how horrible you're going to feel when you find out this is a totally treatable disease (like oh, maybe diabetes or hyperthyroid) and you could have saved your cat unnecessary suffering, or even saved her LIFE. As cats age (and yes, your cat could still have many years ahead of her with proper care), it's our responsibility to make sure they go for regular check-ups and that when anything is "off", we get them prompt veterinary attention.

Let us know what the vet says. There are plenty of people on this board that have tons of experience with all sorts of feline health issues and may be able to help you with treatment plans, etc.

thank you all, i will take her to the vets this afternoon when back from work, this is what i probably expected to hear and needed to hear. so once again thanks

i will update you after the vets, i just fear the worst though !
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:12 AM

Sadly we booked our cat into the vets last night (making appointment the day before) she had just turned 15 and main causes of her illness were old age & blocked bladder occording to the vet.

we as a family and the vet decided it was for the best to have the cat put to sleep as her condition was getting worse on a daily basis with no signs of improvement over the last 2days of having her.

we ensured that we was still with her for her final moments by being by her side and fussing her.

she will be sorely missed! x
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry, wolves27

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Catlover2

So sorry for your loss. It's never easy making that decision, but with the knowledge of your vet and your knowledge of your cat, it was time. Thank you for being there in her final moments knowing that she was much loved. I hope when you are ready, you will give another cat a loving home.

"No heaven will not ever Heaven be; unless my pets are there to welcome me" ~ Unknown
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

My condolences on the loss of your kitty, wolves27. Thanks for letting us know.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:17 PM
-

Sorry to hear the news.

sweet kitty