Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 24th, 2005, 09:16 PM

GRACE in CA at the Bridge

Hello all,

It is with the deepest sadness that I must report that Grace will be humanely and compassionately euthanized this evening. She is the torti from CA that I have been desperately trying to save, along with a wonderful woman named Madeline in CA.

I found Grace's picture while surfing at the net and realized that she was in a kill shelter. With facial wounds like hers, exposing even her sinus cavities, I knew that her time was limited. I put out a plea and Madeline and many others answered. Madeline pulled Grace last Friday but realized that her physical condition was pitiful (she was 4 lbs and full of lesions). She brought Grace to her vet last Monday and the vet did some biopsies while she surgically implanted a feeding tube into her neck. The vet was not convinced that all of these wounds were caused by burns and she was right. The biopsy results came back today, from the best lab in CA, positive for sporotrichosis, which is a fungal infection. It had entered her body somehow and spread to the point that it pervaded all of her tissues. It ate away half her face, the pads and nails of her feet, the tip of her tongue, and her tail. The tradgedy is that at this point, she would need such high doses of an antifungal that the treatment itself would kill her. She is already weak and barely able to keep down the food in her tube. The sickest part is that, as Grace hung around a couple's backyard in CA for the last few weeks, they noticed her "cuts." They ignored her until her face was too gross to look at and then brought her in to the shelter. By then, it was too late.

I feel so bad that this little girl suffered so much thanks to the neglectful cruelty of people. Everyone at the clinic, and in fact everyone who ever met Grace, agreed that she was a special girl--a true fighter.

She has lost her fight, but she will be released from her suffering with dignity. She will be cremated and be buried in Madeline's backyard.

Grace's story has touched many lives. Her scarred, deformed little face should be the poster for the neglect and the cruelty that humans can inflict upon animals without ever laying a hand on them.

For all those who donated, I thank you. If you would like your money refunded, please let me know and I will do my best. We still owe between $700 - $1000 USD at the vet in CA though for her last week's work of treatments.

If people would still like to donate, please email me. If, by some miracle, there is money left over after paying all of Grace's expenses, I would like to rescue another mangled, downtrodden cat from the same shelter. For some reason, they seem to get an abundance of these cats. I already have the support group in place and everyone who was involved with Grace is ready to step up and help.

Please keep Grace, and all other neglected, unnamed cats, in your thoughts and prayers.

With a most heavy heart,
Lisa
harryis21@yahoo.com

Last edited by canine14; March 24th, 2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my! This is such a sad outcome - one wonders how a beautiful cat like that could have ever been abandonned and even at the cruelty of the people who waited around watching as her condition became worse. Theirs is not as perverse as those who dumped her but if you watch someone committ murder and do noting to stop it, you are guilty by association. It is all is so very heartbreaking!

Thanks so much for trying to help her!! She will be in my thoughts tonite!
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:15 PM

That is such a sad outcome for such a hopeful story. If there were more people out there like you there would be far fewer kitties like this. You did what you could, which is far more than most. I'm so sorry the outcome had to be so sad.
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

How very sad.
Rest in peace sweet little grace, you are going to a far better place, where your wounds won't hurt you anymore, and where you will finally find love and compassion. I am so sorry that the human race failed you.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Bless you for reaching out and trying to help this little girl

She is in our prayers