Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old September 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Question I have a problem with my rabbit after the surgery

A month ago i spayed my female rabbit. For 5 days we gave her antibiotics and after 10 days from surgery we pulled out her stitches. After a day we saw that a little hole was made. The vet that made the surgery told us to put Baneocin powder(I hope you have it in your country). The hole was covered with a crust, but after a couple a days it fell and under it was full of purulence. We took her to another vet and she gave us a cream that scar(i don't know how to say it) to put on her for a week. The cream include: marigold, camomile, rattle and comfrey. Is it good for something or not? In our country there aren't many vet that know about rabbits and in my city is only one... the one that made her like this.
Please if someone knows something tell me about it.
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Is there still a hole? You need to keep her mid section wrapped so it stays clean. I'm not sure about that cream, I've never heard of it. Can you post a picture of her belly?
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Today when i put cream an her i saw that the scar looks verry good. It isn't swollen anymore, it's dry, has no pus and it almost looks like it should normal be. The vet said that the cream helps tissue grow. I hope it does and the hole will close.
The hole is still there but is most like it stick to the skin from inside.
I can't take photos because i can barely hold her to put cream on her. She doesn't like to be turned with her belly up.
Here she is:
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's a cutie!

It sounds like there might have been an infection in the incision. Watch it closely to make sure the swelling/heat doesn't come back--if it does or if your rabbit seems to be lethargic or off her feed, you may need more antibiotics. If the hole is superficial (and I think that's what you're saying about it sticking to the skin?) and the infection has been healed, then it should close up on its own over time.

Good luck with your bunny, valy.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Valy - it is so refreshing to see someone that values their bunny so much. I hope that this regulates itself timely and all will be well once again.

Hats off to you for cherishing this little one with such love and respect.
Old September 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Yes, we love her hery much. We recently both a boy for her. I'l open a new thread for him because i have some little problems with him too.
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Good news. The little hole it's closed. It looks very good. Monday we're going again to the vet. Hope she'll say that she's fine.